no signal on tv

nellieboy

Dec 3, 2012
hi all im a longtime lurker here and ive learnt lots. i recently upgraded my system specs as follows hfx classic case. asus p8z77-m motherboard with i3-3225 with hd4000 graphics, samsung 830 64gb, wd red 3 tb, 8gb of the samsung green 1600mhz 2 sticks of 4gb. using win 7 pro and mediabrowser in media centre.every thing works fine on my monitor all movies and music playback fine so as i had everything set up i decided to plug into my onkyo 875 via hdmi on the board. enabled multidisplay it recognised my lg 50 inch plasma but it says no signal on the onkyo and i get nothing on the tv. i have the latest bios and intel drivers. what am i doing wrong help please

nellieboy

Dec 3, 2012
hi seems the problem may lie with the onkyo receiver. if i plug straight in to the tv i have a picture. i dont know what to do about thatapart from optical out for sound.not ideal

Sep 12, 2004
With the Onkyos I've had and even the one I have now you have to go into the receiver settings and enable the HDMI monitor. It's under the Input/Output Assign - HDMI Out settings menu.

nellieboy

Dec 3, 2012
hdmi monitor is enabled. ive had my amp set up for three years and the lg tv for 2.its always worked with my oppo dvd and this is the first time ive ever had a problem with it computer plays fine with tv but as soon as i connect it to the amp on dvd input it says no signal on the amps display. could it be some sort of hdcp issue

Sep 12, 2004
Your problem could be hardware related (HDMI cable or a finicky HDMI port on the receiver), software/driver related (I've read of people having problems using the HD4000, but not this particular issue), settings related (on your receiver or in Windows), or could be an HDMI handshake issue.

The only way to resolve it is to identify every possible source of failure that you can and then, one-by-one, try to eliminate them.

Things I would initially try:

1. Use another HDMI cable if you have one available.
2. Try another HDMI input on the receiver.
3. Doublecheck any HDMI-related settings in the receiver.
4. For the HTPC try a dedicated video card with HDMI if you have one available.
5. Try it without multidisplay, which I'm not really clear on. Do you mean you have multiple displays connected? If so, only have the amp connected to the HDMI on the video card with no other monitors connected to the card.

nellieboy

Dec 3, 2012
hi tasteslikechicken. thanks for the input . i need to go and buy a new hdmi cable and hope that works already tried your other 4 points no success. it works fine plugged into tv by hdmi and the sound works too. so unless a new better quality cable fixes it ill have to live with it for now. it works through spdif for the amp just inconvenient when i want to play music because i wanted to dedicate the spdif to the cd button. means i have to change listening mode each time i swap to music. apart from that im very pleased with it all. i have to confess that my hdmi cables are just bogstandard sky box type cheapo ones so hopefully a better one will fix it. if it doesnt does that mean i would have problems with bluray playback passing audio through spdif cant test this yet because i have yet to purchase a bluray disc having only just got the capability with the pioneer bdr-so7xlt. thanks for the help its very much appreciated