No sequester for Congressional House members

Status
Not open for further replies.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ood-drink-raising-questions-article-1.1300662

In total, Rep. McCarthy spent $9,789 on food and drink during the last three months of 2012, including equally generous outings at Chicken Out Catering and Buca di Beppo Italian restaurant, in Washington, according to a review of Congressional spending reports by the Washington Guardian.

And despite the inclusion in that total of what would appear to be many pork-laden burritos, McCarthy didn’t even top the list of the heaviest food-and-drink spenders.

That label was won by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who racked up $11,225 in food-and-beverage expenses, including $2,000 on coffee alone.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) also found his way toward the top of list, incurring nearly $3,000 in food-and-beverage spending.

But Democrats weren’t immune to the unsavory spending either.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) spent $3,510 on food and drink during the same three-month period, while Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) racked up $1,795.

All this talk and posturing about sequesters and budget tightening and John Boehner and company are busy living the high life on the tax payer dime.

Apr 27, 2012
There was no real sequester. All it did was cut the rate of growth of spending. But this is outrageous that some of the same politicians warning about the sequester waste all this money. The budgets for all these politicians must be cut drastically to prevent this wasteful spending.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Surprise! All politicians care about are themselves and don't give a shit about the general public!

Who knew?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't see any reason for Rep. McCarthy's expenses. (IDK who he is.)

Boehner and Cantor are Congressional leaders, I would expect them to be footing the bills for a lot of meetings and people etc.

Fern

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The question is, which the article doesn't say, how many people are these expenses covering? We all spend money on food and drinks, it is essential to continue living.

And, I don't consider drinking coffee and eating at Qdoba "living the high life" as is suggested in the first post. If they were eating at 5-star restaurants, $200 per meal places, I could see the outrage. Qdoba and Dunkin' Donuts? I don't think so.

Gotta do better than this article, it's basically throwing whatever one can to discredit Republicans just for the sake of discrediting Republicans.

Last edited:

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
And, I don't consider drinking coffee and eating at Qdoba "living the high life" as is suggested in the first post. If they were eating at 5-star restaurants, $200 per meal places, I could see the outrage. Qdoba and Dunkin' Donuts? I don't think so.

$2500 for one day at Qdoba isn't a small sum of money.

Gotta do better than this article, it's basically throwing whatever one can to discredit Republicans just for the sake of discrediting Republicans.

Totally incorrect, the article also points out Democrats spending on food and drink.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
You know those trips included like 160 rooms worth of people for 6 days each in two different cities.

The only official duty that the vice president has is to be president of the US Senate. Which, last time I checked, wasn't located in a 5-star hotel in London or Paris.

No money for school children to take White House tours. No expense spared for politicians to take junkets to London or Paris.

As I said, the sequester only applies to the 'little people."

Uno

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
$2500 for one day at Qdoba isn't a small sum of money.

Totally incorrect, the article also points out Democrats spending on food and drink.

One person buying lunch for 250 congressmen and staffers at $10 each causes outrage from you? Where if 250 congressmen and staffers bought lunch individually at $10 each one day, wouldn't bother you one bit.

I could explain everything again but it's clear you're only here for the argument. You could have at least had the decency to make your post interesting, considering the total lack of anything meaningful said, by, perhaps, saying Republicans only need five loaves of bread and two fish to feed the entire group, anything more is wasteful spending.

Goodbye.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.