No search warrant neede to look at your prescription history

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
wow this is messed up. it boggles my mind that a warrant is not needed. at leaset Utah was able to make the proper change.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/longform/so-you-think-prescriptions-are-private

Police never made an arrest in the drug thefts but instead zeroed in on the prescription histories of Jones and Pyle and charged them with acquiring controlled substances under false pretenses. The charges had nothing to do with the crime police were initially investigating.

Prosecutors eventually dropped the charges but the controversy prompted Utah lawmakers to enact a new law in May 2015 requiring police agencies to obtain a search warrant before they can access the prescription database.

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
Did anyone really think that HIPAA laws would apply to everyone?

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
I could support warrantless searches of prescriptions that redacted the names. So you kick out a report of anyone that obtains abnormally high amounts of certain drugs. But then I'd want them to have to get a warrant to reveal the names.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not really surprising. They don't need a warrant for looking at everything you do online, putting spy devices in every day electronics, or look at any other records either. They technically don't even need one to come into your house anymore. Plenty of no knock raids these days. You can't really stop 60 heavily armed guys from getting into your house whether they have a little piece of paper or not.