No Room At The Inn (for you)

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
And there's quite a bit Donny WON'T be getting.

Trump is kind of like that asshole cousin you have to invite to your bachelor party because your parents make you do it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...378178-83b3-11e9-b585-e36b16a531aa_story.html

As Trump’s state visit looms, Britain seems a reluctant host

LONDON — In Britain, a state visit doesn’t just mean dining with the prime minister, or even tea with the queen. It means an extraordinary level of pomp and pageantry, plus a sleepover at Buckingham Palace.

At least, it normally does.

Britain is gearing up for this week’s state visit by President Trump as only Britain can do. There will be an official greeting ceremony at Buckingham Palace, a lavish banquet with the queen’s best china, a gun salute fired from Green Park and the Tower of London.

It will all be suitably over-the-top.

But there is also a sense that British officials are slightly less than enthusiastic about this particular round of state visit grandeur.

Some of the traditional trappings — such as staying over at Buckingham Palace, a royal welcome at the Horse Guards Parade and a gold carriage procession down the Mall — are notably absent.

“When extending a visit and making those plans concrete, you want to feel excited and joyful at the idea, and I think people have sort of seen it as something they have to get through,” said Leslie Vinjamuri, head of Chatham House’s Americas program.

But she added that there was still intense interest from the British public. “Anytime an American president comes to town it’s exciting, not necessarily for the right reasons, but certainly people are very aware around town, not least because of the traffic jams,” she said, referring to planned mass protests.

The British government, preoccupied with its own domestic turmoil, has long seemed wary about hosting Trump for a state visit.

For one thing, it took a long time to pencil a date in the diary.

[Britain is at its most delicate political moment in years. Now here comes Trump.]

Prime Minister Theresa May extended the queen’s invitation in 2017, when Trump had been in the job for barely a week. Britain’s government, caught as off-guard as anyone by Trump’s election, scrambled to get in the new president’s good graces. The invitation was part of a charm offensive intended to win Trump’s favor.

But the idea was roundly panned by Britons from nearly every party who wondered why Trump was being accorded an honor that other world leaders wait years for — and most U.S. presidents never received at all. That Trump was widely loathed by the British public only added to the consternation.

Only a year earlier, Parliament had gone so far as to stage a formal debate over whether to ban Trump from setting foot on British soil. For three hours, lawmakers sounded off on a then-candidate they described as a racist, a misogynist and “a dangerous fool.”

After the invitation, House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said Trump would not be welcome to address lawmakers at the Palace of Westminster, as other presidents had done.

“Our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons,” he said.

Dozens of other parliamentarians campaigned to have the invitation retracted, and a citizens’ petition collected 1.9 million signatures before it was closed.

As recently as this spring, there was an active campaign among MPs to force the government to uninvite Trump.

But in April, more than two years after the invitation was offered, Buckingham Palace announced that a three-day state visit would go forward.

That hasn’t quieted the opposition. London Mayor Sadiq Khan, with whom Trump has often feuded, said Friday that as important as relations between the United States and Britain may be, “it’s wrong that the red carpet is rolled out.”

Up to a quarter-million protesters are expected to take to the streets in London to register their dismay. Hovering above will be a blimp depicting Trump as an overgrown baby — diaper firmly affixed, mobile phone in hand.

Eight previous U.S. presidents have visited the queen during her long reign, dating to Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1959. But Trump is only the third American leader to receive the honor of a state visit, following presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

Unlike his predecessor, Trump won’t be staying overnight at Buckingham Palace, the official residence of the queen.

Instead, he will stay at Winfield House, the stately home of U.S. Ambassador Woody Johnson, which has the second-largest gardens in London (after Buckingham Palace). When Trump visited Britain last summer for a more modest working visit, he stayed there as well.

Buckingham Palace is reportedly unable to host the Trumps because of "ongoing renovation" work that began in 2016. According to the official royal website, Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 52 “Royal and guest bedrooms.”

Trump is known to hold the queen in high regard. He once told the Times of London that his Scottish-born mother “loved the queen . . . she loved the ceremonial and the beauty, because nobody does that like the English. And she had great respect for the queen.”

When Trump met the queen last year, there was a muddle over who should walk where when the duo was inspecting the queen’s honor guard. At one point, the queen gestured to Trump, seemingly to instruct him where to go. The Internet went wild over the question of whether Trump had disrespected the queen by walking in front of her.

During the three-day visit that begins Monday, Trump will meet with several senior royals — although not American royal Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, who gave birth last month. (She previously called Trump “misogynistic”; last week, he called her “nasty.”) He is scheduled to have a private lunch with the queen and tea with Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla. On the final day of his visit, he will join the queen and Charles to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

But whatever happens over the next few days, the queen, one expects, will be as inscrutable as ever.

“That’s the queen’s job, dealing with people whether she likes them or not,” said Robert Lacey, a royal biographer, who noted that the queen may not have liked all of the 13 British prime ministers who have served during her reign, but she still meets them every week for “audiences” and “treats them with total dignity.”

“The queen has dealt with monsters in her time, from Idi Amin to Robert Mugabe,” he said, “and this is an elected head of state of our most important ally and friend. This is her job.”

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I think people have sort of seen it as something they have to get through,” said Leslie Vinjamuri

At least he's eventually leaving. We're stuck with the orange piece of shit. Still, I do feel sorry for them having to endure his presence.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
He even brought his demon spawn along, so they could have a "Next Generation Meeting" with the Princes the grandsons of the Queen, as if the Presidency was something he could pass along. It took a foreign leader, the Queen to remind him that he was NOT a king and that there would be no such meeting.

Sad... Bigly.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
61759826_10217945457923061_4201581972406927360_n.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You can bet every smile that Trump sees when he gets greeted by someone is actually a grimace.

And with every handshake he attempts, you can bet the other person fervently wishes to only extend to Trump either their index finger or their middle one.

For me, I'd extend my left hand as he extends his right. Protocol, y'know?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Can't say I would blame anyone for not wanting him around. I wouldn't accept a direct invitation from him nor would I invite him (not that he'd care). He makes it very difficult to respect the position.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Can't say I would blame anyone for not wanting him around. I wouldn't accept a direct invitation from him nor would I invite him (not that he'd care). He makes it very difficult to respect the position.
it's easy to respect the office and have no respect for the person holding it.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
it's easy to respect the office and have no respect for the person holding it.
Hell, nevermind the person holding it.

It's not like Strongman Trump hid his utter scumfuckery. Hell, he screamed it out loud, rather than trying to dogwhistle it like most Republicans.

The people to have no respect for, are the people who saw the scumfuckery, and said, "you know, I'm going to vote for that guy",

Reactions: dank69

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

It's not like Strongman Trump hid his utter scumfuckery. Hell, he screamed it out loud, rather than trying to dogwhistle it like most Republicans.

The people to have no respect for, are the people who saw the scumfuckery, and said, "you know, I'm going to vote for that guy",

Can't argue with that.

Reactions: nickqt

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Those folks are one of the main reasons why the party still manages to win elections. The others being, as we are all familiar with, gerrymandering, successful voter suppression efforts and lies piled upon lies piled upon more lies told to these folks that are directed not so much at their common sense and their search for facts and truths that direct them toward making an honest appraisal of who should/shouldn't be elected to high office. Rather, those lies and (as you have mentioned) dogwhistles are targeted at the emotional side of their supporters decision making processes.

Literally so, the Repub party leadership have proven beyond doubt they can, with ease, convince their constituency that truths and facts really don't matter when confronted with a choice of who to vote for. Party loyalty and "tradition" factors in a whole lot more than the honest truth about their candidates.

For the most part, it's why we have a totally reprehensible unqualified incompetent man-child as our POTUS.

I recall the often heard reason for why folks wanted to vote for Trump was that "he spoke his mind about things". Well, I wonder if they still feel the same way about that now. lol

Reactions: nickqt

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Today the protests start.. Looking forward to seeing the Trump baby blimp. :D

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Nothing official, but It probably was.. Would have been nice though.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
May be fake but oh so appropriate. Darth Trump and his sith lord Darth Putin are uncomfortably and eerily similar to their movie counterparts.

Reactions: DarthKyrie