Question No reasonably sized 4k 120Hz+ FreeSync monitors?

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
I've been waiting for years now for a 4k FreeSync monitor with a refresh rate >60Hz, and a reasonable size for general desktop use (32-38"). I just checked what's available again today, and there's still nothing!

There are a couple of ones that look pretty good, like the Acer XV273K and Asus PG27UQ, but 27" just isn't big enough for 4k. On the other side of the size range there's the Asus XG438Q. I might just about accept the 43" size, even though it's larger than I really want, but a screen that size on a desktop needs good viewing angles, which it doesn't have.

Only one monitor in my preferred size range has even been announced for the future, the 32" Philips 328M1R, scheduled for next year, but it's a VA panel, so it probably also won't have good viewing angles, or colour accuracy.

I feel like there's something missing here. Surely there are enough people who want a monitor like this for it to be worth someone having made one by now?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry, 4K UHD @ > 60Hz refresh, is going to take a new display transport standard. HDMI 2.1 will do that, with 48Gbit/sec cables, but no current or planned GPUs support HDMI 2.1 yet, that I am aware of. (Apere?)

I did notice that you can buy Coboc 48Gbit/sec HDMI 2.1 cables now, and they're not crazy-expensive (like $11 for a 6' one). Almost bought a few just to stock up... we'll all be moving there eventually, what with our 8K TVs, LOL.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I've been waiting for years now for a 4k FreeSync monitor with a refresh rate >60Hz, and a reasonable size for general desktop use (32-38"). I just checked what's available again today, and there's still nothing!

There are a couple of ones that look pretty good, like the Acer XV273K and Asus PG27UQ, but 27" just isn't big enough for 4k. On the other side of the size range there's the Asus XG438Q. I might just about accept the 43" size, even though it's larger than I really want, but a screen that size on a desktop needs good viewing angles, which it doesn't have.

Only one monitor in my preferred size range has even been announced for the future, the 32" Philips 328M1R, scheduled for next year, but it's a VA panel, so it probably also won't have good viewing angles, or colour accuracy.

I feel like there's something missing here. Surely there are enough people who want a monitor like this for it to be worth someone having made one by now?
That Acer looks attractive to me. Cant I have freesynch 120Hz and HDR at the same time? Even if I use 2x dp1.4 cables.
I have a standard radeon 5700 rdna gpu.

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
Given the limited activity in this thread, maybe there aren't actually many people who want this.

If you use two cables then adaptive sync is not an option.
FreeSync can span multiple monitors with Eyefinity, so I'm sure it could be made to work on a single monitor with multiple inputs, if anyone ever made one. I wouldn't want the inconvenience though; using the compression that DisplayPort supports would be a better option for someone wanting 4k, 120Hz, and HDR all at the same time (though it's going to be hard to make full use of, since HDR is mostly found in new, not-going-to-run-over-60Hz games).

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Given the limited activity in this thread, maybe there aren't actually many people who want this.

FreeSync can span multiple monitors with Eyefinity, so I'm sure it could be made to work on a single monitor with multiple inputs, if anyone ever made one. I wouldn't want the inconvenience though; using the compression that DisplayPort supports would be a better option for someone wanting 4k, 120Hz, and HDR all at the same time (though it's going to be hard to make full use of, since HDR is mostly found in new, not-going-to-run-over-60Hz games).

I'm waiting for something like the Samsung Q80R as a 32"-36" monitor for less than $1500.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
What is going on with the new DP and HDMI standards? Manufacturers keep chugging out monitors with the same low refresh rates and there is no progress. I am completely uninterested and will continue to use my old monitors until I can actually get a higher refresh rate.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I am also looking for a 32" 4k monitor. I read good reviews for ASUS PA32UC or Asus PA329Q. those are not 120hz though

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
For new AAA games? No. For the vast majority of games? Yes. And for a monitor with adaptive sync, anything over 60Hz is an improvement, even when 120Hz is not attainable.

Closest is Samsung 120hz tv with freesync but the freesyn on them top out at 60Hz

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Just saw this review on TFTcentral and it's ticking all the right boxes for me (added to wishlist; to be fulfilled in 2025 probably). I know this thread is somewhat dated now, but perhaps it'll be somewhat along the lines that are being requested? (It's not 4K, but 5120x1440.)

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Just saw this review on TFTcentral and it's ticking all the right boxes for me (added to wishlist; to be fulfilled in 2025 probably). I know this thread is somewhat dated now, but perhaps it'll be somewhat along the lines that are being requested? (It's not 4K, but 5120x1440.)

Curved VA ultrawide - no thanks. 10 zone edge-lit dimming - another minus for me.