No power. Laptop with 2 batteries. Backup dial up account.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Dial up =s's teh suck!
The power has been out now for close to 5 hours. Teh power company says they are working on it.
So I am sitting here with nothing to do except use the dial up on my laptop. Well, at least having two batteries wasn't totally useless.
Dial up sucks.
So does my power company.

That is all.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Finally after 5 1/2 hours the power company sent a truck.
It literally took the guys 5 minutes to fix. The used a telescoping pole and reached up and moved or touched something and the power is back.

High speed is great.
I hope to never go back to dial up again.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Sounds like the service disconnect switch was somehow thrown. Are you by chance in Ohio? ;)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Psh, 5hrs. Hah. A few winters ago, we lost power for a few days. Snow + ice storm = LOTS of downed power lines. They still follow the moronic policy of running power lines right next to trees, or even through forests.
"Duh, well, maybe this time the trees won't fall on the power lines."

I think that if there are going to be power lines somewhere, keep trees away from them. (And keep trees away from residences for that matter.) They have fallen before, and they're going to fall again.

People want aesthetics (trees everywhere) and reliable power (power lines everywhere). These two are in conflict. Pick one or the other.

Last month, an ice storm + wind took out power across a pretty wide area. 20,000 customers lost power. My apartment lost power at 6am. It was restored by 4:09pm, so out for about 10hrs. Then it went out again at 7pm, and came back 1hr20min later.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
So I am sitting here with nothing to do except use the dial up on my laptop.

Perhaps you should go outside... I hear the sky is blue, the grass is green, the air is fresh...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Perhaps you should go outside... I hear the sky is blue, the grass is green, the air is fresh...
Maybe where you are. Here, the sky is gray, the grass is dead, and the air is blowing by with a skin-shattering lack of heat.
Well, ok, the sun does shine briefly - until the wind picks up again. Then it's blocked out by all the airborne snow. :Q

Come to Erie, PA, if you have no intentions of ever going outside in the winter. Just be sure to insulate your house with a 3-foot-thick layer of fiberglass, and buy a dehumidifier.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Where I live it is overcst. There is no grass. And stepping out my front door is like ice skating.

Pollock

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Sounds like the service disconnect switch was somehow thrown. Are you by chance in Ohio? ;)

Tell me about it. My power came back about noon, but the cable was still out until this evening. About 20 minutes after the cable came back on, the power went out again. It just now came back again.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Sounds like maybe a fuse went bad, if they fixed it with a pole. Always good to have power, especially in the cold!

I've always said the best idea is to talk to one of the power company's linemen, and ask them which lines get repaired first (oftentimes, high priority loads get repaired quickly, like hospitals, etc), then make certain you live on that line! :)