No one knows why Chad is now banned from travel to the U.S.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The title of this thread is a bit of a non-sequitur. We know why Chad, ostensibly an ally of the U.S. in Africa, is on the banned travel list. They've been thrown in so the ban doesn't include just Muslim countries, but also other countries so this doesn't appear like a ban against a religion.

Important lesson to be learned here by smaller nations that might be considering what other nations to ally with: America is far from reliable. (Though really, what's new there?)

NBC News - Travel Ban: Why Has Trump Restricted Visas From Chad? Experts Are Puzzled

LONDON — President Donald Trump’s decision to include Chad in the latest travel ban has baffled experts who are wondering why the African nation was chosen over others in the region.

The new presidential order renews restrictions on five of the six countriespreviously targeted — Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen — and adds North Korea, Venezuela and Chad. Sudan has dropped off the list.

“It’s a head-scratcher and also strange for diplomatic reasons,” Michael Shurkin, a senior political scientist at the RAND Corporation, said. “In terms of security, Chad is actually relatively capable.”

Out of all the countries in the Sahel, as that area of Africa is known, Chad has a reasonably close partnership with the U.S.

It has cooperated extensively in the fight against terror, and specifically against the African terror group Boko Haram. This summer, Chad hosted for the third time a 20-nation military exercise, organized by the U.S. African Command, aimed at strengthening local security forces. And the U.S. recently opened a new $300 million embassy in the capital, N’Djamena.

Trump’s proclamation said that “Chad does not adequately share public-safety and terrorism-related information and fails to satisfy at least one key risk criterion.”

It also mentioned the presence of several terrorist groups in the region, including elements of Boko Haram, ISIS-West Africa, and Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.

Analysts say these factors are present in a number of countries both in Africa and around the world and are not unique to Chad.

“I think it’s a matter of incompetence,” said John Campbell, a former U.S. ambassador to Nigeria, who is now a senior fellow at the Center on Foreign Relations.​

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Because they can be. It doesn't have to make sense because none of it makes sense other than to the senseless in Trump's base.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The WH got Chad and Sudan mixed up, but were too embarrassed to fess up and correct it before Trump signed the order?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Ooh this is fun I've got another one--because the Sahel desk at the State Department looks like this?

375a2e683cbd1211975bc9f3244751bb.jpeg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Wasn't the 90 days over a long time ago?

Venezuela is interesting, because lots of Oil Men went down there, got local wives and moved back to the states. So a bunch of Southern Republicans have family ties to Venezuela.

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008
Wasn't the 90 days over a long time ago?

Venezuela is interesting, because lots of Oil Men went down there, got local wives and moved back to the states. So a bunch of Southern Republicans have family ties to Venezuela.

The 90 days didn't officially start until June 29, when the supreme court lifted the hold on the ban a few days earlier. So the 90 day period is just about to end.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Because they can be. It doesn't have to make sense because none of it makes sense other than to the senseless in Trump's base.

Does it (and its supporting logic) need to be understood by his base? I think the thought process probably goes like this:

He's doing something about the problem! Blah blah foreigners, blah blah we hate it when politicians get all PC instead of admitting "the truth" and engaging in the kind of rampant xenophobia that helps MAGA. Trump tells it like it is, even when he uses sentences that require us to fill in the blanks with our own little stinking nuggets of hate. Hate? Sorry, patriotism. Nationalism. America First!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The 90 days didn't officially start until June 29, when the supreme court lifted the hold on the ban a few days earlier. So the 90 day period is just about to end.

Does this mean that Trump will soon have figured out what's going on?

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Ok, so I've been taking a much needed break from "news". I'm about to be facetious but if there is something to it, please inform me... Does Russia have a possible with Chad?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
What about Venezuela? How many terrorist have come from there?

And I thought the whole 90 days was to give them time to beef up their immigration security and then it would go back to normal. They didn't do shit did they? Loosers.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Ooh this is fun I've got another one--because the Sahel desk at the State Department looks like this?

375a2e683cbd1211975bc9f3244751bb.jpeg

lol, the 'Sahel desk at the State Department' - that pic could be any subset of the state department, hell any part of the government right now. a lot of the time public statements are issued by -acting- [ department position ]. at least they're career people that can get stuff done but who knows how long they'll last with a crazy workload.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
lol, the 'Sahel desk at the State Department' - that pic could be any subset of the state department, hell any part of the government right now. a lot of the time public statements are issued by -acting- [ department position ]. at least they're career people that can get stuff done but who knows how long they'll last with a crazy workload.

Repub governance is self fulfilling prophesy. They claim govt is incompetent & then make it that way.