No one interested in the new Baldur's Gate 3 Larian is preparing ?

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'm waiting for the full launch before playing, but I am absolutely interested. Probably one of my most anticipated games of 2020.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
A couple issues in the way of full blown interest: I've tried and failed to get into the OG Baldur's Gate games (although I did enjoy some infinity engine games that were contemporaneous like Planescape) and I've never found the time to buy and play Divinity OS games, although the opinions on them seem to lie on the extremes (best games ever or way overhyped or brutally difficult).

Always interested in a good RPG RPG though, even if I don't always have the time to invest in them like I used to.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Not sure why they call it Baldur's Gate 3 as the 1&2 storyline is complete. Should just give it a subtitle or something like they did for the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance console release.

But anyway, interested, the Divinity games are good. Will wait for reviews as always to see how the story is.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Not sure why they call it Baldur's Gate 3 as the 1&2 storyline is complete. Should just give it a subtitle or something like they did for the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance console release.

But anyway, interested, the Divinity games are good. Will wait for reviews as always to see how the story is.

i remember reading some complaints on this (and thinking it myself as well), because the trailer and initial story reveal involve the mindflayers. Larian's response was something along the lines of "we didn't call it BG3 for nothing" - so expect the Bhaal and/or Bhaalspawn to show up in some form or fashion.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
To be honest I wasn't really impressed at the initial showing. Nor was I happy that Swen of Larian originally was talking about removing things like rolling to hit/miss.

I mean the most fundamental DnD thing there is would be rolling to hit.

Clearly something changed though and the most recent showcase showed a game trying very hard to be faithful to the 5e rule set. It went from a game I had no interest in to one I'm very excited about.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Didnt know it was coming, but definitely am interested. I liked the Divinity games, although I never finished D:OS 2.
I am a big fan of RPGs, but somehow never got into Baldur's gate. I have both games, perhaps will give them another try at some point.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I am actually pretty excited for it. There was a thread on it. Its expected to be in early access later this summer.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
No problem. I haven't played it.....it's VERY heavy on reading which isn't my thing. But also very heavy on "choices have consequences", which I do really like.
That’s what I liked about the original, all the narrative and character development. Looks like the sequel doesn’t exist on the same plane as Torment.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The PS:T "sequel" is pretty poor. Very long winded with boring companions and a world that just doesn't seem to gel well for me.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I haven't paid much attention, other than finding out they were basically working on this instead of Divinity: Original Sin 3.
Works for me, I have well over 1,000 co-op hours into the first two. Maybe encroaching on 2,000.
I'll be watching to see how it goes and figure out if it's a (VERY) rare release day purchase for me or not.
To be honest I wasn't really impressed at the initial showing. Nor was I happy that Swen of Larian originally was talking about removing things like rolling to hit/miss.

I mean the most fundamental DnD thing there is would be rolling to hit.

Clearly something changed though and the most recent showcase showed a game trying very hard to be faithful to the 5e rule set. It went from a game I had no interest in to one I'm very excited about.
That would seem a little odd, because in both Divinity: Original Sin games there's something a lot like rolling to hit (character's accuracy, target's dodging).

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
That would seem a little odd, because in both Divinity: Original Sin games there's something a lot like rolling to hit (character's accuracy, target's dodging).

There is technically rolling to hit in the DOS games, true, but for example in DOS2 I don't think I ever saw under 90-95% accuracy without a debuff present. This is because Swen has said he doesn't believe missing is fun for players and why they were considering it for BG3.

The problem with that mentality though is to prevent combat from ending too quickly you end up with HP bloat. Which is why in DOS2 by the end game you deal thousands of damage and have thousands more HP. This was why early on some people were arguing that BG3 didn't sound like even a DnD game and was just DOS3 using the Forgotten Realms setting/Dungeon and Dragons name for sales.

Considering things like Sword Coast Legends it was a valid fear/criticism.

I'm glad Larian decided to drop that notion though.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
There is technically rolling to hit in the DOS games, true, but for example in DOS2 I don't think I ever saw under 90-95% accuracy without a debuff present. This is because Swen has said he doesn't believe missing is fun for players and why they were considering it for BG3.

The problem with that mentality though is to prevent combat from ending too quickly you end up with HP bloat. Which is why in DOS2 by the end game you deal thousands of damage and have thousands more HP. This was why early on some people were arguing that BG3 didn't sound like even a DnD game and was just DOS3 using the Forgotten Realms setting/Dungeon and Dragons name for sales.

Considering things like Sword Coast Legends it was a valid fear/criticism.

I'm glad Larian decided to drop that notion though.

- Nothing kills the fun of a game's combat mechanics quite like super spongey enemies.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Wow I had no idea this even existed. Thank you!

About that . . .

The PS:T "sequel" is pretty poor. Very long winded with boring companions and a world that just doesn't seem to gel well for me.

I mostly second your thoughts on Tides of Numenera. There was a lot to NOT like about that game. It's also not a true sequel, at all. Different game world, different characters. Sort of a similar theme . . . sort of . . . but the presentation wasn't as good. It was worth playing (purchase on sale) as an exercise in how not to produce a cRPG. Even an "artsy" one with lots of exposition.

As far as Larian handling Baldur's Gate 3, I'm skeptical. I hated Divinity: Original Sin 2's combat with a passion. Balance was really bad, and nearly 100% of all enemies had some bizarre movement ability that allowed teleportation around the map. About the only encounters I enjoyed were against mindless grub-like enemies that would just charge you like cannon fodder (which they were). Seeing enemy archers leap into the air and appear in high ground - with haste! - while enemy melees would use Phoenix Dive to alternatively close with your back-row guys or alternatively flee to cover just to avoid your spellcasters was mind-boggling and awful. They really should have reigned in the insane movement mechanics.