No more Wrestling at the Olympics.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
karelin.gif

Is not amused

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
BJJ already has a governing body sticking it's nose too far into the sport. Adding bjj to the olympics would make the rules worse than judo.

It would turn into a complex game of hugging.
<----- Judo and BJJ practitioner.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Wrestling should beat out most of these handily. It is kind of stupid it was removed in the first place though.

They want to put "sport climbing" in?

Shit, all we need is the rings and we've got American Gladiators!

I'd watch that shit!

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Brazil would dominate the way S.K. and Japan dominate TKD and Judo.

I don't think so. I honestly think the US is slowly starting to overtake brazil in bjj. A lot of this has to do with the popularity of wrestling in the US along with MMA. If bjj got huge attention like wrestling in the olympics, then that class of US students who wrestle would become bjj guys and the game would change.

Japan only does as well as it does in judo because they change the rules anytime a effective strategy comes along. For example, the runs on grabbing the pants to stop people with wrestling backgrounds from leveraging that experience in judo. Or judo's rules that essentially keep the refs uneducated on the ground and stand everyone up 5-15 seconds after they hit the ground, even when there is action.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity.

If this is the case, then boxing should be removed, especially after the scandals from the last olympics.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
htey claiming nobody watches it. I blame that on TV more then i do lack of interest in the sport.

I watched wrestling live over the internet.

ugh. disgusting situation.

I missed it. Too busy watching womens ribbon dancing (sarcasm)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
This is bullshit; it has been part of the games since the very beginning. They kept the modern pentathlon over this...

However, they can at least re-apply for the 2020 games along with all of the other games. Here's to hoping they see the error of their ways by then.

KT

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
If they want ratings, I think they should add pole dancing, girls gone wild, and the Grammy (the singers can wear whatever the hell they want).

May 13, 2009
Nothing more manly than wrestling. Strength, endurance, technique... Olympics just show what a joke they are.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
If this is the case, then boxing should be removed, especially after the scandals from the last olympics.

I was going to say, if any sport should be removed, it's boxing. Olympic boxing bears little resemblance to real boxing and it's by far the most corrupt Olympic event. All of the judged sports are pretty bad though and it's obvious that there's always at least one judge trying to swing things in favor of his home country (or whoever paid him off).

isitasport.jpg

Sports and pseudo-sports only. I guess gymnastics can stay, but only because it's so popular. Bring back baseball, cricket, rugby, and maybe a couple more team sports - there's no reason to have soccer, handball, water polo, and basketball but exclude others.

One country or region's dominance at a sport should not be reason to have that sport removed from the Olympics. The US has been far less dominant at baseball than they have been at basketball.

Golf shouldn't get in. Remove horse dancing and all other horse-related events, those are just ridiculous.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
WTF. Isn't wrestling one of the oldest human sports and one of the original Olympic sports for the Greeks besides the marathon??

They did it nude and covered in olive oil though...

Probably best not to hark back to the original games eh?

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I've never watched wrestling (of any kind), but it and running have to be the purest Olympic sports. Removing it is ridiculous. There are a shit-ton of events that nobody watches, dump them first.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
People don't watch it because they don't FUCKING AIR IT WHEN PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO WATCH IT!!! I hate this circular logic shit of large corporations.

X Corp: "We don't provide that because no one wants it."
Me: "Did you fucking ask me? Did you try to market it to me? Did you even really fucking offer it or did some panel of morons in the marketing department do a fucking pie chart that convinced you that within their own little peer group no one was interested, therefore no one else in the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD MIGHT BE INTERESTED!!!!"

Sorry, anyone agree? Too much rage, I know...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
People don't watch it because they don't FUCKING AIR IT WHEN PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO WATCH IT!!! I hate this circular logic shit of large corporations.

X Corp: "We don't provide that because no one wants it."
Me: "Did you fucking ask me? Did you try to market it to me? Did you even really fucking offer it or did some panel of morons in the marketing department do a fucking pie chart that convinced you that within their own little peer group no one was interested, therefore no one else in the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD MIGHT BE INTERESTED!!!!"

Sorry, anyone agree? Too much rage, I know...

agreed.

i wanted to watch it. i don't remember the US stations having a time slot for it.

even with highly watched stuff they didn't do it live and jumped all over.

i ended up watching (almost all) wrestling on the BBC live feed.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
They want to put "sport climbing" in?

Shit, all we need is the rings and we've got American Gladiators!

I'd watch that shit!

OLYMPIAN GLADIATORS

WITH...

ICEBERG
STORMSHATTER
BIGBOY
COLLOSUS
WOLF

As the galdiators they must defeat!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
They did it nude and covered in olive oil though...

Probably best not to hark back to the original games eh?

Was there women's wrestling as well? If so I might accept the trade off as my TV's off button works perfectly well

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Was there women's wrestling as well? If so I might accept the trade off as my TV's off button works perfectly well

Far as I know, not only did women not compete, they weren't even allowed to attend the ancient games. Guess the boys wanted their own little retreat.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Nope. :(

No oily naked women's wrestling.

Hell they weren't even allowed to watch the oily naked male wrestling.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
WTF. Isn't wrestling one of the oldest human sports and one of the original Olympic sports for the Greeks besides the marathon??

the marathon was not an Olympic sport.

It didn't show up as a contested event (even outside of the Olympics) until the 19th century when the British set the rules for nearly all competitive sports, and more or less created the modern Olympics. I believe wrestling was an ancient Olympic game, same as Javelin.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Olym...-British-ideals-undergird-the-modern-Olympics

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...odern-Olympics-Got-Their-Start-160282505.html