No more "he" or "she", use "xe", "zir" or "xir" says U of Tennessee

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hey, we finally found mutual ground. I can be crazy in New York City, LA and San Francisco, and you can be crazy in . . . Well, everywhere else.

Haha, I remember when people just like you said similar things about gay people. Before too long everyone else will come around, either because the old people like you die or because you eventually become ashamed enough to pretend you never felt this way.

In the end it doesn't matter much, I guess. People like you are always on the losing end of these things, crying about how oppressed they are the whole way.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Haha, I remember when people just like you said similar things about gay people. Before too long everyone else will come around, either because the old people like you die or because you eventually become ashamed enough to pretend you never felt this way.

In the end it doesn't matter much, I guess. People like you are always on the losing end of these things, crying about how oppressed they are the whole way.

Come around? To the notion that biological realities...aren't?

I suppose in a sense you're right: We might lose on this ground too. 2+2=4 is sometimes on the losing side.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Really where the hell is this great repression of transsexuals at? I know in the 90s in Oklahoma my mom's company was fully accommodating a pre-op transsexual (I believe she was planning on have the surgery).

At my last company, working in a huge blue collar facility in Oklahoma, there was a middle aged man that decided to become a women (not sure to what extent), and she was fully accommodated. Even though she was working in the same hangar as 500 rough, redneck, blue collar workers and in a facility of 7500, I never heard a negative thing about her. The closest thing I ever heard to being negative was that people felt sorry for her, since they just assumed she was getting grief on the dock, but I never saw or heard of any actual grief being given.

If you see repression all over the place, maybe it is really NYC that is backwards city that isn't accepting.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Really where the hell is this great repression of transsexuals at? I know in the 90s in Oklahoma my mom's company was fully accommodating a pre-op transsexual (I believe she was planning on have the surgery).

At my last company, working in a huge blue collar facility in Oklahoma, there was a middle aged man that decided to become a women (not sure to what extent), and she was fully accommodated. Even though she was working in the same hangar as 500 rough, redneck, blue collar workers and in a facility of 7500, I never heard a negative thing about her. The closest thing I ever heard to being negative was that people felt sorry for her, since they just assumed she was getting grief on the dock, but I never saw or heard of any actual grief being given.

If you see repression all over the place, maybe it is really NYC that is backwards city that isn't accepting.

Right here:

http://endtransdiscrimination.org/PDFs/NTDS_Exec_Summary.pdf

To be clear, I'm not taking these results as gospel as they are from a trans equality group, but it's actually pretty hard to find some sort of comprehensive survey of trans people on the discrimination they face. Combine this with the stories of the trans people I know (not one of which is originally from NYC) and the two sources broadly conform. Being trans sucks.

It is kind of funny to have within 2 pages someone accuse NYC of being some bastion of sexual deviance and then have you accuse it of being a bastion of intolerance though, haha.