No more cosmetology program.. just to keep "the gays" out

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.theexaminer.com/stories/news/sexuality-deciding-factor-program’s-closure

After more than a decade, the Adult Cosmetology class offered through Beaumont Independent School District’s Taylor Career and Technology Center is closing. The reason, instructor Cequada Clark says, is that Principal Thomas Amons would rather close the program than admit a man Amons thought was gay after a brief encounter with the prospective student on the first day of class Sept 10.

“I don’t understand this. I really don’t,” Clark said. “(Amons) told me he would rather shut down the program altogether than to have ‘riff-raff’ like that in the program. The next day, he shut down the program.”

Clark, who has headed the adult cosmetology program since 2009 at BISD, said, “Earlier this year, I learned he had a problem with gay guys while we were at the hair show in April.” Clark said at the hair show, Amons told her that he never wanted to see “flamboyantly gay guys” in the BISD program like the men enrolled at other programs competing in the event.

“I couldn’t believe it then; I kind of thought he was just venting at that time,” Clark said of what she called an awkward encounter. Clark said she knew Amons was serious when 22-year-old Kwmane Gray tried to enroll in the program.

“As soon as we got a student that (Amons) thought was gay, that was the end. He saw (Gray) come into the class, and then he came to get me out of there,” Clark said of Principal Amons, a man who also serves as a deacon at Antioch Missionary Baptist Church. The instructor said she was told to tell Gray he wasn’t welcome in the program. Feeling a moral objection to what was taking place, she refused. “I told (Amons) if he wanted to tell that young man that, he would need to do that himself.”

After bringing another instructor in on the conversation, Amons said he would consult BISD’s legal representation on how to proceed.“The next day (Sept. 11), (Amons) told me that the legal department said he couldn’t exclude (Gray) based on his sexual preference, but that as the principal of the school he could decide to no longer offer the program. He said the last day would be Thursday, Sept. 13.”

The closing of the program not only affected new enrollees like Gray, Clark added; four students were already enrolled in the program when classes were set to resume Sept. 10. Clark said enrollment has steadily increased in the program since she started in 2009, jumping from two students to eight when the call came down to close the program. Clark, who aside from her BISD job holds positions as a pastor of a Groves church and owner of a salon in Beaumont, said she is heartbroken at the thought of students not being able to utilize the much-needed program any longer.

“I take this very seriously. Most of my students coming in are single moms trying to move ahead and make a life for themselves. My thing is, I bust my tail off with this program: I give God the glory because it’s been doing good since I’ve been there. At the very least, I’d like to see Mr. Amons apologize to that young man and to allow those already entered in the program to finish their instruction to get licensed,” Clark said, adding that the right thing to do would be to continue the program and allow Gray to enter.

“The whole thing is just mind-blowing.”

Clark said she had mixed feelings about speaking out about what she knew concerning the closure of the adult cosmetology class, but in the end, she had to do what she knew was right.

“It’s a chance they may fire me all the way, and honestly that’s a chance I’m willing to take,” she said. “I made up in my mind I’m not going to compromise or lie for anyone. I love my job – love it, love it, love it – but I have to stand up for what’s right.”

Students rally for fairness, education

“This is like a hate crime,” Gray told The Examiner. Gray, who has spent the last three semesters as an A and B Lamar University student, said he was initially excited to start the BISD program to save on cost of tuition and acquire his cosmetology license in enough time to enter Lamar State College – Orange in January to finish course work toward becoming a certified nurse by the spring of next year. “He never even talked to me. He just judged me. I don’t know and I don’t care (why); I just don’t want him to be over any other kids and maybe do that to them, too. He can cause a lot of trouble for students like that.”

Gray said he is gay but has never been open about his sexuality before now, and was forced into the spotlight when word was given to the entire class that the reason no one would be furthering their education in cosmetology was because of him.

“Six or seven other girls in there can’t get their license because of me,” Gray explained. “That just isn’t right.

“Right now, I can see I’m going to need counseling. I wasn’t at the point in my life to really open up about my sexuality. This is a big depression on me – he thought I was gay, and he didn’t want me around. That’s pretty tough to hear.”

Other students attempting to enroll in this semester’s classes also had stern words for the administration.

Liliana Gonzalez, who has already invested registration fees and over 600 hours in the program, wrote a letter to principal Amons. “I don’t think this is fair,” she said. “(Gray) is a human, I already spent time and money in this class ... because I want a better life, and now what?”“This is honestly ridiculous,” returning student Ashley Martinez wrote. “I never heard of something like this happening for such a stupid reason.”

Martinez also had a warning for Amons.

“If you think you’re going to get away with this, you’re more than wrong.”

Prospective student Arilene Serna said she, too, was appalled by the decision-making process that allowed prejudice against homosexuals to end class instruction, adding “It’s so not fair to the students that have already been studying in the program. I’m really disappointed the cosmetology program is going to be shut down for a reason meant to hurt someone.”

Gray’s mother, Sharee Logan, said she was hurt, angered and disappointed by what she learned from BISD instructor Clark in the aftermath of the adult cosmetology program’s closure.

“My son is trying to be somebody in life,” Logan said through strained tears. “He is trying to go to school; he’s in his last semester.“(Amons) discriminated against my son, just from looking at him. I thought we lived in America. This has hurt me so bad for him to call my son a riff-raff.

“Whether my son is gay or not is none of his business. We live in a time where people are committing suicide behind stuff like this. This is my only son.

“I want this story to be told. This is not right. I don’t appreciate it. I’m a Christian myself, but God said to love everybody.”No comment

Attempts to reach Amons at his office were unsuccessful. Multiple messages left with various BISD officials – communication representatives Jessie Haynes and Ron Reynolds, assistant superintendent Patria Lambert, and BISD legal counsel Melody Chappell – were also unanswered as of press time.

BISD trustee Tom Neild said if the facts surrounding the program closure are all true, he’s appalled.

“Even though this is impacting just a few students, it’s very important to those students,” he said. “I definitely intend on following this matter to get to the bottom of this.”

Adult cosmetology instructor Clark said she hopes her boss, Amons, can have a change of heart, but she isn’t holding her breath at this point.

“I just can’t imagine him doing this,” she said. “I don’t really think he thought this whole thing out.”

UPDATE: Instructor Cequada Clark informed The Examiner on Thursday evening, Sept. 13, that she has been asked to turn in her keys and receipt book, terminating her employment with BISD. Clark anticipated losing half her paycheck with the cancelation of the adult cosmetology program, but she was still employed as a night-class instructor for the Taylor Center. That was before she says Principal Thomas Amons told her, "We've decided to let you go. We don't need your services anymore."

Seems a huge overreaction to one gay student. BISD deserves all the negative press and parent/trustee reaction(s) they receive over this.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
wow..

hopefully this hits national news and Principal Thomas Amons gets roasted.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Can someone explain to me how if you want to keep the "riff-raff" out of your program you are allowing in single moms?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
What will the school do if a gay student wants to become a mathmetician?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Judging by the Taylor Career Center's website (http://www.beaumont.k12.tx.us/careercenter/) they're way far away from getting it together.

pff.t ugly sight but that doesn't meant shit. My daughters school is great and the school site is not much better.

they just don't want to pay someone (with the skills and talent) to do it. i think they hired a high school kid a few bucks to do it LOL its fucking ugly.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
pff.t ugly sight but that doesn't meant shit. My daughters school is great and the school site is not much better.

they just don't want to pay someone (with the skills and talent) to do it. i think they hired a high school kid a few bucks to do it LOL its fucking ugly.

Well that's just it... they could get a Weebly site for free and have an infinitely better looking website in 10 minutes.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
If true, pathetic on the principals part. How much longer before this kind of discrimination ends up on the ash heap of history?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What a hater, Gay Men do women's hair SO well! I had a guy do my hair and makeup for my Senior pictures in HS and he really cared about having me look great for my pictures. I had my hair done by a woman before that and I didnt like it.

Anyway...

What a lame reason to close down the program.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
It's good that the Christians aren't killing people today like the Muslims. They are content to just ruin people's lives. (Anyone starting a post about "not all Christians" should include the phrase "not all Muslims" as well.)

And yes, this is a post about religious hate and destruction.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Can someone explain to me how if you want to keep the "riff-raff" out of your program you are allowing in single moms?

Ok, so you see, despite the clear notions you have, women are people too. And just because someone is a woman, you don't have to hate them. I hope that helps.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Ok, so you see, despite the clear notions you have, women are people too. And just because someone is a woman, you don't have to hate them. I hope that helps.

Thankfully not all women are single moms, so I don't have to hate all of them.

And I was pointing out the obvious hypocrisy. Last time I checked divorce and fornication were not approved of by Christians either, but there was apparently no problem with letting people who engaged in them into the program.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The local news says this:

B.I.S.D released a statement saying "Due to budget restraints and no Beaumont ISD cosmetology graduates registering for the class, the Taylor Career center is no longer offering an extended courtesy evening cosmetology class for adults. Campbell-Amons stressed that the high school cosmetology program at Taylor still exists. But he said the school can no longer afford to fund the part of the program serving non- B.I.S.D. cosmetology program graduates."
http://mobile.kiiitv.com/default.as...1450/cosmetologist-claims?clienttype=rssstory

I have no other info than that. But if no one from the school registered for the class, it makes sense to get rid of it. Especially in this day and age where schools are very short on cash.

Not saying they are not lying about their reason, just that their reason actually makes a lot of sense.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Thankfully not all women are single moms, so I don't have to hate all of them.

And I was pointing out the obvious hypocrisy. Last time I checked divorce and fornication were not approved of by Christians either, but there was apparently no problem with letting people who engaged in them into the program.

Why do you hate widows?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
nehalem256

Not all Christian religions forbid divorce.

And "all single women are fornicators", you know this how?

You must see an ugly world when you look out of your window. Do you ever go out and mingle with the fornicators and sodomites?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

So all those mothers who lost their husbands in Iraq or Afghanistan are riff raff suddenly? Do they know this? :rolleyes:

And if a single mom has her shit together enough to go to school so that she may better provide for herself and children, more power to her.

OT: Shame the principal does not have any principles.

edit: looks like several beat me to making the above point to nehalem256.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
So all those mothers who lost their husbands in Iraq or Afghanistan are riff raff suddenly? Do they know this? :rolleyes:

And if a single mom has her shit together enough to go to school so that she may better provide for herself and children, more power to her.

OT: Shame the principal does not have any principles.

edit: looks like several beat me to making the above point to nehalem256.

If its about misogyny, trying to reason with him is pointless.
"A Fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Why do you hate widows?

Oh please. What % of single mothers are widows?

nehalem256

Not all Christian religions forbid divorce.

And "all single women are fornicators", you know this how?

Not all Christina religion prohibit homosexuality. I would put money on their being a correlation between opposing homosexuality and forbidding divorce.

And the vast majority of single mothers are either fornicators or divorcees.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The local news says this:

http://mobile.kiiitv.com/default.as...1450/cosmetologist-claims?clienttype=rssstory

I have no other info than that. But if no one from the school registered for the class, it makes sense to get rid of it. Especially in this day and age where schools are very short on cash.

Not saying they are not lying about their reason, just that their reason actually makes a lot of sense.

Something doesn't add up. The rest of the story in the link you gave raises more questions than it answers.