No more -bigadv WUs :(

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
The last two WUs I crunched were just regular SMP WUs. Hopefully Stanford is working to more bigadv WUs out there!

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Just checking..............Occasionally, one of my clients will just start crunching at half speed, points wise, and I have to shut things down and restart. I think Mark mentioned it earlier. I have a 2684 finishing up in the wee hours so I won't know till morning what I will pick up. While the 2684 is more time consuming, the -bigadv WU's will spoil you............

But there are only what?...........5 or 6 different -bigadv proteins?

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I just picked up a 3rd regular SMP WU on my i7 970. My 950 should almost be done its current -bigadv so we'll see if -bigadv are gone for the time being.

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
Don't be too quick to jump the gun. Mine picked up an SMP this morning and when finished went back to crunching a 6900.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I got 3 today, and on one client, turned in big unit, then small one, then started another big one.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
After I finished the P2684, I got a P6077 which is lower credit but it is moving along much faster TPF-wise so the total PPD isn't much lower than the 2684. I'm glad when the PPD don't suffer.

Just to refresh my memory as to why we are doing this, I re-read some of the "what have we done so far" and related articles on Stanford's web site. It still makes my eyes glaze over. But they (we) seem to be moving forward with the Alzheimers and Cancer research.

It's always nice to know we are contributing something other than points...........

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
My new i7 2660k box is currently working on Project # 2685 which @ 4.1ghz overclock is doing about 30min/segment. It's about halfway done now and should be done sometime tomorrow morning taking just a little bit over 2 days to complete. I used Giga's EasyTune to push the cpu to 4.1 overclock. Until I get a handle on how to manually adj to bring the overclock a little highter I'll leave it at that speed for now. The CPU tem is about 60c with a Zalman 9900MAX doing the cooling with the fan running about 49% of top speed. This is only the 2nd project for the new box - it did a regular smp project as it's first. I'll try to report back tomorrow morning whether it snagged another bigadv project after this one.

My Qosmio 595 Laptop is doing both smp and fermi gpu projects but this morning the gpu reported it was asleep! After giving it a stern talking-to and doing a reboot for some update files from Microsoft it's back on the job with the gpu. I would love to have tried bigadv on this machine but the i7 740 cpu can only do 1.74ghz

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
My new i7 2660k box is currently working on Project # 2685 which @ 4.1ghz overclock is doing about 30min/segment. It's about halfway done now and should be done sometime tomorrow morning taking just a little bit over 2 days to complete. I used Giga's EasyTune to push the cpu to 4.1 overclock. Until I get a handle on how to manually adj to bring the overclock a little highter I'll leave it at that speed for now. The CPU tem is about 60c with a Zalman 9900MAX doing the cooling with the fan running about 49% of top speed. This is only the 2nd project for the new box - it did a regular smp project as it's first. I'll try to report back tomorrow morning whether it snagged another bigadv project after this one.

My Qosmio 595 Laptop is doing both smp and fermi gpu projects but this morning the gpu reported it was asleep! After giving it a stern talking-to and doing a reboot for some update files from Microsoft it's back on the job with the gpu. I would love to have tried bigadv on this machine but the i7 740 cpu can only do 1.74ghz

Definitely make sure the cooling unit in your laptop is up to the task. Laptops in general run much hotter due to their limited enclosures so hate to see you fry your chips due to intensive nature of F@H. Maybe look into a laptop cooler pad if you plan to run it 24/7.

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Hey Zipspeed,

Didn't give all of the particulars...the laptop is sitting atop a Zalmon cooler for the "bum" side of the Qosmio (the largest I could find for this 18.4" laptop). I noticed that the real estate above the keyboard got very hot so I mounted a 12" summer fan to blow air over the keypad area so it is no longer hot to the touch. The livingroom where the Q6600, i7 2600K and the Qosmio reside is kept cool (the heater in the room is not on). It's just me in the 4 1/2 rm co-op since my wife-angel passed away in November '09 and with the recent installation of double-paned windows a few years ago has been comfortable to be in this winter. The laptop has been 24/7 for about a week before this "asleep" event. I will probably give it some down time now and then to alleviate this some.

Also on the plus side is that electricity is part of the maintenance at a set rate (and the co-op recently got a co-gen plant supplementing power to use and the local grid) so no monthly "sticker-shock" electric bills to force a curb on my folding machines.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Nice setup, looks like it's well maintained. :) Personally, I'd love to generate some of my own electricity one day via solar for my computers. If I remember correctly, a folder for Team eVGA built a solar setup himself and is folding on his laptop purely on sun energy. He mentioned he's working on expanding his panels to be able to handle the power requirements for a desktop system.

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
ZipSpeed,

Don't give me any ideas! I live on the top floor (26th) - thank goodness the roof door is alarmed so they won't find any eco stuff I would like to place up there, including a victory garden!

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
ZipSpeed...

The SandyBridge just finished with Project 2685 and is now processing a regular project (6073)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
After finishing two 6900 I got two regular smp ... we will wait and see ... I want to get to 6 million points before changing the comps to other projects ...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Damn, losing those WUs ain't gonna help my rankings! :p

Currently my Q6600 is crunching a P6075 WU, is that a big adv one?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Got a -bigadv 3 hours ago ...

@Assimilator1: No, I don't think so. It has a bonus though ...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
My i7 970 rig crunched 6 regular SMP WUs before finally getting another -bigadv. Looks like supply is starting to dry up a bit.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Definitely make sure the cooling unit in your laptop is up to the task. Laptops in general run much hotter due to their limited enclosures so hate to see you fry your chips due to intensive nature of F@H. Maybe look into a laptop cooler pad if you plan to run it 24/7.

I use one of these on my laptop. Definitely don't leave it on a wood desk with Folding@Home going on the GPU and CPU at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Chill-A.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry
I thought you needed an 8-core CPU at a minimum to crunch BIGADV.

Yup, 8 cores. Logical or physical.

Ah, I'm getting mixed up with the 'normal' bonus WUs then I guess?

TurtleBlue
Thx :)