No men's NCAA thread??? Pac 12 are 10 and 1, killin' it!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just looked on the front page here, no threads on the NCAA's. Don't know if a Pac 12 team will get to the Final Four, but 4 are in the Sweet Sixteen:

Oregon
Oregon St.
USC
UCLA

Killin' it. Just watched USC bury Kansas, beat 'em by 34! Oregon and USC meet in the round of 16 and one would have to beat Gonzaga (assuming the Zags handle Creighton) to get to Final Four, not impossible, but not likely.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
They used to call the NCAA tournament the Pac-10 invitational. Bill Walton still calls it the conference of champions.

Reactions: Muse

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I love this thread because I don't understand any of it! I'm guessing that this is about a sporting competition but I can understand almost nothing of it.
I could Google but that would spoil the fun!

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They used to call the NCAA tournament the Pac-10 invitational. Bill Walton still calls it the conference of champions.

well the Pac-10 never had their own tournament back when that conference was last relevant in basketball (70s), so I guess it makes sense for them to call themselves whatever they want to make themselves feel better. Still, it was only that joke Bill Walton and those illegitimate UCLA teams that ever accomplished anything for the conference.

Come at me. :D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I love this thread because I don't understand any of it! I'm guessing that this is about a sporting competition but I can understand almost nothing of it.
Basketball is a big thing all around the world. Maybe you speak futbol?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yes, but none of this thread makes sense to anyone that is unexposed to what is a very niche part of "world basketball" compared to what the rest of the world thinks when they consider basketball.

It's not niche in the US, of course, but everywhere else, this is a thing that barely registers.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
yes, but none of this thread makes sense to anyone that is unexposed to what is a very niche part of "world basketball" compared to what the rest of the world thinks when they consider basketball.

It's not niche in the US, of course, but everywhere else, this is a thing that barely registers.
I can't think of a more exciting sport on TV than the NCAA's. The Dance always delivers. I watch the World Cup, I think it's great, but it's relatively low key.

Gotta admit, though, even USC yesterday looked amateur to me next to pro basketball in terms of the skill. But watching pro basketball doesn't have the same excitement level usually. Looks smooth and rote a lot of the time.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I can't think of a more exciting sport on TV than the NCAA's. The Dance always delivers. I watch the World Cup, I think it's great, but it's relatively low key.

Gotta admit, though, even USC yesterday looked amateur to me next to pro basketball in terms of the skill. But watching pro basketball doesn't have the same excitement level usually. Looks smooth and rote a lot of the time.

It's the best sports tournament, period. It's tough to compare NCAA tournament games to the NBA... The skill level and athleticism is lower, but the speed and intensity is much higher.

Reactions: Muse and zinfamous

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Why pay attention to the men when the Ladies play a better game. Stanford, NC, Uconn and South Carolina will all provide great entertainment. As a Uconn grad and NC State season ticket holder go ladies basketball!

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Why pay attention to the men when the Ladies play a better game. Stanford, NC, Uconn and South Carolina will all provide great entertainment. As a Uconn grad and NC State season ticket holder go ladies basketball!

Love the ladies tournament! Go Terps! But don't think I can get on board with saying they play a better game...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I came here to say this, but I shall add this:

I'm guessing that Pac-10 refers to a multi-player game of Pac-Man.

• Haha
Reactions: digiram and Majes

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Right. But can you appreciate how absolutely invisible this tournament is to the rest of the world? I grew up with this tournament--it's sort of like its own holiday season where I'm from (NC--not that joke west coast area that thinks they know anything. :D), but I also understand that this is less than meaningless anywhere else. They may know the superstars in the NBA or on the world stage, but connecting them to pre-professional careers or "what they did in college" isn't how people outside of the US think of sports. Their pro athletes don't really have any kind of college career--some even leave high school early.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

did...did you just confuse NC with NC State in a single post? I may have to gut you...

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Right. But can you appreciate how absolutely invisible this tournament is to the rest of the world? I grew up with this tournament--it's sort of like its own holiday season where I'm from (NC--not that joke west coast area that thinks they know anything. :D), but I also understand that this is less than meaningless anywhere else. They may know the superstars in the NBA or on the world stage, but connecting them to pre-professional careers or "what they did in college" isn't how people outside of the US think of sports. Their pro athletes don't really have any kind of college career--some even leave high school early.

Eh, I recognize that even the Super Bowl is a negligible event to those outside of the United States. It works both ways though... I know that Cricket is a huge sport, but I don't know how to play or anything about leagues/tournaments.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Eh, I recognize that even the Super Bowl is a negligible event to those outside of the United States. It works both ways though... I know that Cricket is a huge sport, but I don't know how to play or anything about leagues/tournaments.

yes, I know. I'm just explaining this to Muse who didn't seem to get that "basketball!" to the rest of the world doesn't immediately mean they understand anything about the NCAAs, or college sports, well, at all. It's a big thing here, of course, but it is quite insular.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
yes, I know. I'm just explaining this to Muse who didn't seem to get that "basketball!" to the rest of the world doesn't immediately mean they understand anything about the NCAAs, or college sports, well, at all. It's a big thing here, of course, but it is quite insular.
I wasn't saying that. WelshBloke seemed to not know that basketball is a competitive sport. It's played all over the world.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I wasn't saying that. WelshBloke seemed to not know that basketball is a competitive sport. It's played all over the world.

....No. How do you not get this? :D

Your post is about college basketball. You list teams (colleges). talk about a tournament. some terms specific to the NCAA tournament. None of it says what the sport is, to, say, a space alien. think about a space alien reading your OP.

Welshbloke: I have no idea what you are talking about, but it is hilarious!

You mistake that just invoking those names means "basketball!" to everyone. It doesn't. That's the point. No one outside of the US understands any of that crap in the OP. There is nothing in there that says "basketball!" to anyone outside of the US. How do you not understand that?

Final Four! NCAA's! Sweet Sixteen! Those are all very specific things to this time of year, here in the US, that make no sense to anyone outside of the US. You were confused by his ambivalence by assuming that all that stuff you mentioned is basically the same as saying "basketball," and it isn't. Maybe if you had said the Chicago Bulls or Michael Jordan, that would be different (the rest of the world does know that; for the same reason they have no idea that Jordan played at UNC and sorta became famous for a last minute shot in the NCAACG in 1982--absolutely no one outside of the US knows that, even though they know Michael Jordan).

You know, "Welshbloke" isn't just a name. He's actually Welsh!

seriously: go back and read all the posts leading up to Welshbloke's comment. Tell me from the perspective of someone that doesn't know anything about US college sports history, how they are ever supposed to understand that you are talking about basketball? It's not even in the thread title.

I'm only commenting on that--no judging. Just, I don't understand how you can't understand why Welshbloke, like maybe everyone outside of the US, doesn't understand that you are talking about basketball.

Reactions: WelshBloke

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I had no idea the post was about basketball. It was just a list if funny acronyms and strange terms I'd never heard before.
I just looked on the front page here, no threads on the NCAA's. Don't know if a Pac 12 team will get to the Final Four, but 4 are in the Sweet Sixteen:

Oregon
Oregon St.
USC
UCLA

Killin' it. Just watched USC bury Kansas, beat 'em by 34! Oregon and USC meet in the round of 16 and one would have to beat Gonzaga (assuming the Zags handle Creighton) to get to Final Four, not impossible, but not likely.

The underlined bits mean literally nothing to me and give me no clue as to what's going on apart from a vague sense of location.

I wasn't trying to put basketball down (hell, I had no idea that's what this was about), I just found it funny how I had literally no idea what you guys were happily chatting about!

Sorry for any unintended offence!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Wales just missed out on a Grand Slam on Super Saturday just because the good France turned up. Still we have the Triple crown and there's a good chance that we will win the tournament unless France get some ridiculous score and a winning bonus point. Which is unlikely if the same Scotland turn up that turned up for the Calcutta Cup.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm not a college hoops fan, but it's basically now or never for the Zags.

Wales just missed out on a Grand Slam on Super Saturday just because the good France turned up. Still we have the Triple crown and there's a good chance that we will win the tournament unless France get some ridiculous score and a winning bonus point. Which is unlikely if the same Scotland turn up that turned up for the Calcutta Cup.
I need a Greek to ATOT translation for this one. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: WelshBloke and Muse

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm not a college hoops fan, but it's basically now or never for the Zags.

I need a Greek to ATOT translation for this one. ;)
"Turn up" is a Limey term for "slipped a finger in the bunghole."