no matter what i do, i can't gain weight!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: JRock
Originally posted by: DaShen
See a nutritionist. You need to increase your calorie intake slowly but gradually. Chances are you aren't really eating that much more than you had before. Your body probably is adjusting your food cravings to match your regular calorie intake, you need to do it slowly and eat good calorie foods.

If you count your calorie intake everyday, and work out proportional to your intake, you will gain weight. You just need to do more than just eat Big Macs. Weight Gainer is good, but you need to eat it in conjunction with your normal diet, plus for longer than a week.

RUSSIAN BEAR 5000

holy fvck.

i wouldn't know which weight gainer/protein shake to get. any recommendations?

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Check out Anthony Ellis, he's a skinny guy like you and me who are "Hard Gainers" as in we are not like 99% of the programs out there that are for guys who are fat or who can gain muscle easily.

Sign up for his free email newsletter, they are packed full of good info specific to "hard gainers" If you want to spend the money, his program is pretty good too.

http://www.musclegaintips.com/

JRock

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Train
Check out Anthony Ellis, he's a skinny guy like you and me who are "Hard Gainers" as in we are not like 99% of the programs out there that are for guys who are fat or who can gain muscle easily.

Sign up for his free email newsletter, they are packed full of good info specific to "hard gainers" If you want to spend the money, his program is pretty good too.

http://www.musclegaintips.com/

Last I heard is that this guy juiced... Not that I am knocking him for it because you still need to train your ass off, but you can't claim natural results if it wasn't natural.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
what's your age ?

I had been 5'10 140-150 for a long time but when I hit 27 I notice my metabolism slow down because I'm eating the same way and I'm 165 right now. I don't mind though... I finally filled out. I'm working up to 170 lean...

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71
what's your age ?

I had been 5'10 140-150 for a long time but when I hit 27 I notice my metabolism slow down because I'm eating the same way and I'm 165 right now. I don't mind though... I finally filled out. I'm working up to 170 lean...

i'm 19, will be 20 in december

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Superglue your asshole shut. That way you won't keep losing all that weight through defecation.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: vshah
Originally posted by: rh71
what's your age ?

i'm 19, will be 20 in december
I never thought the metabolism thing would be true for me but alas it was... you'll get yours. In the meantime, it's all about the calories... count them for real... you think you eat enough a day but you don't.

Use the online version of fitday.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: vshah
So, i'm 6', and i've been 125-130 for as long as i can remember.

I'm in good shape, don' thave much fat on me (duh), and can bench my body weight or more (160 at one point).

how the fvck do i gain weight?

once i ate 2 big macs for lunch every day for 6 weeks and nothing happened (weight wise...i'm sure it wasn't good for me)

any ideas? excercise wise, these days pretty much all i do is row 5-10k a day with some lifting instead on some days

-Vivan

The rowing is killing you.

You need to eat more first and FOREMOST. Your body can not produce muscle OUT OF THIN AIR. You need to give your body the right NUTRIENTS. Eat lots of pasta, rice, fish, chicken, meats, eggs, beans etc. Also don't forget your fruit and veg.

What did you eat for BREAKFAST and DINNER and inbetween when you were eating 2 big macs a day?

Your doing a lot of rowing so that is going to eat in to your gains.

Stop the rowing (ever seen a fat rower that was half decent? No thought not).

SQUAT. If you squat you will gain muscle and overall weight.

Squat 3x a week. 12reps x 4 sets start light and do that for 8 weeks. I gurantee you will be more hungry then ever on that high volume, moderate weight routine. Squat properly first and foremost.

You will gain weight. Bench press for volume. Pick 50% of your 1RM then do 12reps x 4 sets with ONLY 60second rest inbetween sets. I gurantee you will get big in no time.

You STILL NEED TO EAT.

I gained a good 5kg over 9 months by eating a lot (a crazy amount of food, most of it very clean and sometimes bad as I felt like it). In the end I got bored of constantly eating all the time.

5 meals a day that are smaller is the normal way. I went with 5 big meals a day and got really tired and bored of eating that for 9 months!

Just keep eating. When your LEAN IT IS HARD FOR YOUR BODY TO GET BIGGER. Eat some junk food to kick start your body. Just eat and eat everything. Bread, cheese and milk are GREAT GAINERS.

2 pints of milk a day :)

Good luck.

I don't believe in hard gainers. You just have to eat alot and do all the hard work. Then you will gain weight.

If your not gaining your not eating enough. Keep on eating until you are gaining weight. You have to eat CONSISTENTLY. No good having 2 days that you eat a lot and then the next 5 days you don't eat anything! Your overal calorie intake over a week has to be high.

Koing

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
eat a lot, like im talkin 3000 calories a day, eat a lot of protein so that you maintain muscle mass, but also eat some carbs, because your body needs them.

jc582

Feb 9, 2000
Drink lots of protein shake. Try to get 1 gram of protein per lbs you weigh. And lift 3+ days a week. I'm 6'2" and I used to weight like 135lbs (same height as now), but I'm 160lbs now. Just keep eating and working out.