No luck at all.....

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
When I first got the computer I'm using now, it had InnoculateIt virus scan software already loaded. Then I had to format the hard drive because, for reasons I choose not to relate, certain programs got corrupted. When everything was back up to snuff I downloaded InnoculateIt from the website and everything was just fine for awhile. Then all of a sudden InnoculateIt started screwing up so I uninstalledIt. It would reach a certain point and just freeze up.....

Then, due to certain recommendations, I purchased McAfee's Virus Scan, installed it, and with the exception of an initial "breaking-in period", it worked just fine. Then I downloaded McAfee's virus update from the website, which theoretically would update my virus scan with all the latest viruses out there. Bad thing is, as soon as I downloaded the update, Outlook Express quit working. Even after I uninstalled McAfee, Outlook Express still wouldn't work right. As soon as I tried to send mail, I would get disconnected from my ISP.

So we formatted again, reloaded the essentials, and I'm back up to snuff AGAIN. Now I'm extremely leary of installing ANY anti-virus
software because I'm sick & tired of formatting this d*mned computer! I almost feel like there is some kind of basic conflict between anti-virus programs and this computer, although I know that's patently rediculous.....

I guess I'm just going to stick with the online virus scan my GF found while surfing one day. I've already used it once, it seems to be O.K. It's just that I feel a tad uncomfortable being on the internet with no protection against all the bullsh*t out there..... -kd5-

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I personally don't run a virus scan program. Probably should but I don't. I think that you just had 2 bad experiences. Get Norton's AntiVirus. McAfee used to be good IMO then about 2 years ago stuff got bloated. I like Norton's and AVP [l]www.avp.com[/]

Give it a whirl

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
If you are going to use an online scanner, i find pccillin to be the best. I don't run one either, but I did end up getting 2 viruses in my email last month. But pccillin found them both, and helped me get rid of them. http://www.antivirus.com is the link I believe, and it's free.

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Yeh, I wanted Norton's too. But the GF surfs most of the day while I'm at work, and she heard somewhere that Norton's passed one of the latest viruses while McAfee's caught it. Besides Symantec wants an arm and a leg for their Norton anti-virus software..... So far, I think I'll stick with that online scan the GF found, until I can figure out why this computer has such a hard time with anti-virus software. -kd5-

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
GirlFriday, I'm not sure which online scan we're using but thanks for the link.:) -kd5-

Just tried the link, IE5 says the page couldn't be displayed.....

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
No problem KDuncan, I have had a total of 4 viruses in the two years I have had my computer, so this is one subject I feel I know a little about. One I had was so bad, it told me my memory was all used up, and I could not even run Windows. Now being computer illiterate, that was alot of fun to fix. ;)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
norton and mcafee both actually occasionally miss viruses. and they are not always the same ones. this means that NAV can miss virus X, while mcafee catches X, or NAV can catch Y while mcafee misses Y, or both miss Z or both catch Q.

use either, or both. it does not matter, updates will fix things, and how often are you going to get a virus if you are careful?

just don't use none.

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
I don't run AV software on my comp. The only thing I did as a preventative measure was to run the CIH cleaner b4 it was set to go off. Otherwise, had no problems with virii. Just watch where you DL from. I guess if you're into warez you run a much higher risk.