Question No internet

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
I have a new used HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF that will connect to my network but not to the internet.

Hardware:
i5-4570 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
500GB
HDD Windows 10 Professional
Intel i217-LM NIC
(Edimax USB wifi dongle)

Upon first boot into windows still within initial setup, windows does not see the internet
Finishing windows setup, no internet. But does connect to network: Gets an IP address, can browse network drives. Cannot load web pages. Cannot ping anything.
Updated i217 drivers with those on HP site, same. Updated with latest from Intel website, same.
Plugged in a wifi dongle. Same - local network, no internet.
Tried 3 cables. Tried different switches.
Tried downloading Win10 ISO and installing to a thumb drive - no internet over ethernet or wifi.
Rebooted firewall (pfsense). Firewall DHCP gives an IP, nothing blocked in logs. ntopng says it is making connections to microsoft.
Tried numerous windows fixes including
-turning off power management
-turning off IPv6
-resetting winsock et. al via netsh.
(pconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
netsh winsock reset)

(Have not yet connected directly to cable modem as I don't have an easy way to get it plugged into a monitor there, but this is on my list.)

I'm at a total loss. I'm not even sure if this is a windows problem, a hardware problem or a firewall problem. Can anyone tell me what to try???

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Can't ping either?

Did you configure DNS correctly on pfSense?

Some other public DNS can be used too, like
1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 Cloudflare
8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, Google
4.2.2.1-4.2.2.6, Level 3

7795950_f1024.jpg

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
First time to setup pfSense?

==

OK, so other devices on the network worked, but both wired & wifi on this machine did not work, weird. :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
No, pfsense up and running for a couple years. Numerous devices including other Win 10 PC's have never had any problems.

Firewall off completely.

Ran each of the 'fixes' in NetAdapter Repair All In One and Complete Internet Repair not to mention Windows' own troubleshooter.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I'd try bypassing the firewall and connecting directly to the cable modem using DHCP to see if that fixes the issue. This really sounds like a firewall issue a this point.

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
Well, I had to move monitors and such - all around PITA - but pluging ethernet directly into the cable modem and it works perfectly. Next, downstream is the firewall. Directly into the firewall and it works. Not a firewall issue. Next comes a Netgear GS316 unmanaged 16 port switch - initially no lights. After few minutes I notice the lights are on and I get the familiar "no internet" yellow triangle.

Found other examples: https://forums.intel.com/s/question...m-does-not-work-on-1gbps-speed?language=en_US (although for me, neither 10, 100 nor 1000 work). This fix for the autonegotiation didn't work: https://forums.intel.com/s/question...problem-with-100mb-full-duplex?language=en_US

Changed adapter properties (e.g. turned 'energy efficient ethernet' off).
Updated BIOS.

So it SEEMS like a conflict between the adapter and the GS316. I am a little puzzled why wifi won't work, but the wifi AP is connected to the GS316...

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I had to move monitors and such - all around PITA - but pluging ethernet directly into the cable modem and it works perfectly. Next, downstream is the firewall. Directly into the firewall and it works. Not a firewall issue. Next comes a Netgear GS316 unmanaged 16 port switch - initially no lights. After few minutes I notice the lights are on and I get the familiar "no internet" yellow triangle.

Found other examples: https://forums.intel.com/s/question...m-does-not-work-on-1gbps-speed?language=en_US (although for me, neither 10, 100 nor 1000 work). This fix for the autonegotiation didn't work: https://forums.intel.com/s/question...problem-with-100mb-full-duplex?language=en_US

Changed adapter properties (e.g. turned 'energy efficient ethernet' off).
Updated BIOS.

So it SEEMS like a conflict between the adapter and the GS316. I am a little puzzled why wifi won't work, but the wifi AP is connected to the GS316...

Did you try multiple ports on the switch? ive seen switch ports go bad where they allowed some traffic but not other traffic.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow... it sounds like a problem with the network switch. Interesting.

Like Rifter said, I'd try multiple network ports on the switch, and multiple network cables.

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
Well, test results have been confusing in part because of a loose ethernet jack.

However, it seems it is in fact the firewall - the firewall is not allowing internet traffic for IP's in the range offered by DHCP. Haven't finished testing so I don't know the exact range but I gave DHCP a different range to offer and assigned a different PC a few IP addresses and suddenly no internet. Not sure how or why - in the past these IP's were used and nothing I can see is blocking them.

But the PC in question works just fine when assigned an IP in the working range (and the cable is pushed in all the way).