No internet connection after upgrading to Windows 10

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Okay I had no issues at all using the Windows 10 preview on a different hard drive but after upgrading my windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I have no connection to the Internet. I've been googling this for a while and cannot seem to find any solution.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Its not Wi-Fi its a regular Ethernet connection. And it already had the drivers by default and it says its working but it just can't get an IP address when I troubleshoot.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
in my case my lan was showing as public instead of private. had to go into homegroup and set to private

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I'm having a similar issue on my MSI GT60 laptop. There are no drivers for the Nic and the Wifi drivers are installed. I've uninstalled hardwared, drivers, reinstalled, uninstalled and so on many times. When I open the network adapters windows, nothing is showing. Also uninstalled all other software that could conflict like VPN, Avast, etc. At this point it looks like a fresh install is about the only way to get things going again.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I encountered this on my Intel NUC when upgrading to Win 10, it worked like 50/50 then I just threw in a wifi dongle for now. There were no hardware conflicts in system devices section, so I don't know what the deal is.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I encountered this on my Intel NUC when upgrading to Win 10, it worked like 50/50 then I just threw in a wifi dongle for now. There were no hardware conflicts in system devices section, so I don't know what the deal is.

That is similar to what happened to me, device manager showed no issues, so i figured instead of fighting it for too long, just as easy to re-download the nic drivers and re-install them

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
That is similar to what happened to me, device manager showed no issues, so i figured instead of fighting it for too long, just as easy to re-download the nic drivers and re-install them

Problem for me is that I did that, shows installed in Device Manager, but still doesn't allow me to use Wifi. Even worse, I was never able to register Windows 10 and get a key. Therefore, I have to start over, upgrade and maybe get this working.