No increase for social secuity in 2011

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
So you support people being more dependent on the government dime? Just wanted to make sure we're clear on your viewpoint going forward.

Do you think the seniors are getting free money ? They did their part. They paid the taxes in just like they were told to. My dad will have to live another 11 years on social security before he breaks even on what he paid in.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Then be a good son/daughter and throw 'em some extra cash! If they're not worth it to you, their child, why are they worth it to me, a stranger to them?

I do. I refused a very good job just so I could stay and take care of them . I also spend time helping out other seniors. When was the last time you volunteered at a nursing home, spent time with the elderly that were not family or talked to seniors about what they are going through ? The idea that if a person is a stranger they don't matter to you is not something to be proud of. One day you will be the stranger to someone you need help from and I can only hope they don't share your views.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Supposed to be officially announced friday but the government has determined that there is no need for a cost of living increase for social security recipients in 2011. They also did not increase it for 2010. The last time this happened was 1975.

If there was no cost of living increase then why are government employees getting raises ? I can confirm that my parents expenses have gone up. Food definitely isn't cheaper here. Someone I know in a rent controlled apartment had the rent increased.

Democrats better realize if they allow this to remain unchallenged there is no way in hell they will get elected when 50+ million seniors who depend on social security get passed over again.

Dems have pretty much blown it with seniors anyway by funding health care through cuts in Medicare/Medicaid.

One big problem in calculating cost of living adjustments is deciding what to count. Too many times this uses "core inflation", discounting "volatile" things like food, energy and housing. The most vulnerable tend to spend most of their money on these three things, the fourth being health care which is also not getting any cheaper. If you're struggling to put food on the table and gas in the car, keep the lights on and buy your medication, then the falling prices of automobiles and iPods is probably small consolation.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Since social security does not need an increse then the budget for everyone else should remain at the same level also. That is only fair.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Supposed to be officially announced friday but the government has determined that there is no need for a cost of living increase for social security recipients in 2011. They also did not increase it for 2010. The last time this happened was 1975.

If there was no cost of living increase then why are government employees getting raises ? I can confirm that my parents expenses have gone up. Food definitely isn't cheaper here. Someone I know in a rent controlled apartment had the rent increased.

Democrats better realize if they allow this to remain unchallenged there is no way in hell they will get elected when 50+ million seniors who depend on social security get passed over again.

They don't have any other choice.

Social Security is indexed to inflation, when inflation goes up so does Social Security. They would have to say that we had real inflation in order to give them a cost of living increase. That would cause the bond market to raise the price of .gov bonds to account for the inflation and that would instantly increase the budget by quite a bit since almost all of our borrowed money is on the very short end of the curve.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I do. I refused a very good job just so I could stay and take care of them . I also spend time helping out other seniors. When was the last time you volunteered at a nursing home, spent time with the elderly that were not family or talked to seniors about what they are going through ? The idea that if a person is a stranger they don't matter to you is not something to be proud of. One day you will be the stranger to someone you need help from and I can only hope they don't share your views.

you are a good man.

the last part is so true. its amazing how many people in here say to throw out SS and cut it off. the ironic thing is i bet every single one of them will be very happy to get THEIR SS check when they hit 65 and be able to participate in Medicare.

i firmly believe that without SS our country would be very close to being a third world country.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The problem is how the government measures inflation. They don't take into account did a seniors expenses increase, they only count population as a whole. Seniors have expenses that others do not and very small increases effect them much more. When someone lives off $1k a month and their cost to live increases to $1050 , they don't have the means to get the extra $50. There is no savings account or taking a second job. What they will do is stop taking medication and stop eating. I have seen it many times.

The point about government employees getting raises is that the government determined there was a need to do this for their employees but not for seniors. As if seniors expenses did not increase.

Can the seniors form a union?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
you are a good man.

the last part is so true. its amazing how many people in here say to throw out SS and cut it off. the ironic thing is i bet every single one of them will be very happy to get THEIR SS check when they hit 65 and be able to participate in Medicare.

And then there are those of us that can do basic mathematics.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Modelworks said "government" and didn't differentiate.

The whole thread is about the federal SS recipients not getting a raise while the federal employeees are. Maybe you should try reading it before offering up misinformed comments.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
And anyone who thinks either party wants to end SS is delusional, that would be like killing the cash cow. SS is like an open ended line of revolving credit at stupid low interest rates for the government, they get to collect billions in payroll taxes from young working people and don't have to pay it back for 40 or more years.

Correction, it USED to be a cash cow and "later" is now.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The whole thread is about the federal SS recipients not getting a raise while the federal employeees are. Maybe you should try reading it before offering up misinformed comments.

The whole thread is about federal SS recipients not getting a "raise" while government employees are. Maybe you should read the OP before offering up misinformed comments.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Perhaps he can't afford too?

And the rest of us can? Last I checked, the fed. gov't was trillions in the red.

Besides, the government made a promise and when the government starts breaking it's promises then all hell will break loose, the like of which will make you regret such a stupid attitude.

Please. Most Americans can't turn off the TV long enough to revolt. And people foolish enough to trust gov't get what they deserve.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

As currently implemented and ran, we can not afford our entitlement programs. The problem only gets worse as more time goes on and I doubt we can raise taxes enough to cover the shortfalls. The problem will be made worse if the global economy improves and our band rates go up from their historical lows. Even if we cut DOD spending significantly, it won't be enough to cover the enormous gap between revenue and expenditures we have now and in the future.

Bottom line: We ain't got the revenue and short of a miracle we won't have it anytime soon either. That leaves borrowing and the law of exponents will eventually win that fight. This thread is exactly why we can not inflate away that debt.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Do you think the seniors are getting free money ? They did their part. They paid the taxes in just like they were told to.

After you get back what you paid in, plus reasonable interest, then yes, you're getting free money. SS doesn't end just because you exhausted your "account".

My dad will have to live another 11 years on social security before he breaks even on what he paid in.

Really? How do you know this?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Then they should organize a strike or a protest to get their raises like the other .gov employees.

Oooh, I got it! A massive senior citizen protest in which they drive from Florida to DC and then protest. Half the country will be demanding the seniors get whatever they wanted before they make it half way to DC when they can't drive faster than 35MPH on the interstate.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

I do a good bit of volunteering already. I'd do more, but I'm working fairly long hours as it is to fund all the freebies our elders are getting. Someone's got to pay for all those nursing homes.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
After you get back what you paid in, plus reasonable interest, then yes, you're getting free money. SS doesn't end just because you exhausted your "account".

Really? How do you know this?

Because the SS keeps records of how much you pay in and how much they pay you every year.
I can pull mine up from the ssa.gov site without being retired yet.

It is under
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/onlineservices/
Use our Retirement Estimator for a retirement estimate based on real time access to your earnings record. The secure log-in requires your name, Social Security number, date & place of birth and mother's maiden name.)

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Because the SS keeps records of how much you pay in and how much they pay you every year.
I can pull mine up from the ssa.gov site without being retired yet.

And you get it in your quarterly statement as a tax payer. This means he doesn't pay SS taxes.