No FEMA trailor for you!

Oct 16, 1999
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110529/ap_on_re_us/us_fema_trailers_ban
CORDOVA, Ala. – James Ruston's house was knocked off its foundation by tornadoes that barreled through town last month and is still uninhabitable. He thought help had finally arrived when a truck pulled up to his property with a mobile home from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Then he got the call: Single-wide mobile homes, like the FEMA one, are illegal in the city of Cordova.

The city's refusal to let homeless residents occupy temporary housing provided by FEMA has sparked outrage in this central Alabama town of 2,000, with angry citizens filling a meeting last week and circulating petitions to remove the man many blame for the decision, Mayor Jack Scott.

Ruston and many others view the city's decision as heartless, a sign that leaders don't care that some people are barely surviving in the rubble of a blue-collar town.

"People have to live somewhere. What's it matter if it's in a trailer?" asked Felicia Boston, standing on the debris-strewn lot where a friend has lived in a tent since a tornado destroyed his home on April 27.

Scott has heard all the complaints, and he isn't apologizing. He said he doesn't want run-down mobile homes parked all over town years from now.

"I don't feel guilty," he said. "I can look anyone in the eye."

Located about 35 miles northwest of Birmingham, Cordova was hit by a pair of powerful tornadoes on April 27, the day twisters killed more than 300 people across the Southeast. Officials say 238 died in Alabama, the highest death toll for any state in a spring of violent weather.

An EF-3 twister with winds of at least 140 mph slammed into the town around 5:30 a.m., knocking out power and damaging numerous buildings. An EF-4 with winds around 170 mph struck about 12 hours later, killing four people and cutting a path of destruction a half-mile wide through town.

Scores of homes, businesses and city buildings were destroyed or damaged by the time the winds died down. Nearly every red-brick storefront was whacked along Main Street, which is now deserted and blocked by a chain-link fence.

Residents whose homes were destroyed assumed they would be able to live in one of the hundreds of long, skinny mobile homes that FEMA is providing as temporary housing for tornado victims. After all, the Cordova Police Department, a pharmacy, a bank and City Hall all have moved into similar trailers since the storm.

But the city enacted a law three years ago that bans the type of mobile homes provided by FEMA, called single-wide trailers. Older single-wide mobile homes were grandfathered in under the law and double-wide mobile homes are still allowed, Scott said, but new single-wides aren't allowed and a tornado isn't any reason to change the law, even temporarily.

The city's stance prompted an outcry that's not getting any quieter, especially with other cities with similar laws granting waivers. About 200 people attended a community meeting last night where some tried to shout down Scott.

"There are trailers all over here but (Scott) wants to clean all the trash out. He doesn't like lower-class people," said Harvey Hastings.

The cotton mill, brick plant and coal mine that once made Cordova prosperous shut down years ago, but native Tony Tidwell said leaders seem to believe residents are flush with cash and can afford to build big, new houses to replace the mobile homes and small frame homes that twisters blew away.

"Let the people have a place to live," he said. To make matters worse, he said, the city is imposing a mean double standard when it refuses to let residents live in FEMA trailers but is using a nearly identical structure for police headquarters.

Scott said the city can use small trailers because it's for the common good.

"It's temporary and we know it's temporary," said the mayor. "We're trying to provide services for everyone."

Storm victims are supposed to live in FEMA housing for no longer than 18 months after a disaster, yet about 260 campers are still occupied by survivors of hurricanes Katrina and Rita on the Gulf Coast last more than five years after those storms. The same thing could happen in Cordova if the city bends it rules to help tornado victims, Scott said.

Officials with FEMA have said it's a local issue and they remain ready to offer help to storm victims.

"We have several options available, and work with each community, to provide the best alternative possible for those who need housing assistance," Michael Byrne, FEMA's federal coordinating officer for Alabama, said in a statement. "We stand ready to help."

Ruston said he doesn't want to live in a mobile home forever, and he didn't want to leave Cordova to move in with a relative after his FEMA trailer was turned away.

Now, he said, it might not be worth going back.

"If we're going to have a mayor like that I'll just go elsewhere," he said.

It's late, I'm tired, so pretend this is a snarky comment.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's shameful when local governments interfere with Federal government's attempt to help their citizens.

Ape

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
As crappy as it is the local government has president here. Why they wont allow those trailers and yet not offering an immediate solution is beyond me.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
They ban single wide trailers but allow double-wides. I guess that's what passes for class down there.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
They ban single wide trailers but allow double-wides. I guess that's what passes for class down there.
So racism is a bannable offense, but regionalism is ok? Really? What you said is no less ignorant than anyone rendering racist commentary.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
What a power trip he must be on!

Its not a power trip, its about money. The guy is trying to prevent local real estate values from going down and for all I know he owns a lot of the local real estate. Especially when it comes to local governments the corruption involved in politics is formidable.

Reminds me of one guy in a small town who owned a repair shop in the two block downtown shopping area. The locals came up with a scheme to remodel the downtown shops to increase property values and voted to take his property by imminent domain. He welded a bunch of steel plate to a bulldozer and leveled the whole town.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Cheeky way to get rid of their "undesirables" and ratchet up property values it seems. Greed knows no bounds....ask any republican big wig for confirmation.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Why not allow a 1 year permit for the single wides. Charge $1 for the permit and they expire after 1 year with no renewal.

That way single wides are still not allowed but you do allow for this one time issue.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
They should allow them temporary but aren't there still Katrina people living in trailers? That's probably the concern.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Greedy scumbag on a power trip. Don't they have gators down there?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why not allow a 1 year permit for the single wides. Charge $1 for the permit and they expire after 1 year with no renewal.

That way single wides are still not allowed but you do allow for this one time issue.

That makes sense. If the concern is that the FEMA trailers will in fact become permanent once allowed in, then give them temporary permits. I understand trying to uphold standards and all, but this seems like the local HOA demanding you cut the lawn.... two days after a tornado rips out your house.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
1) What type of structures were originally destroyed

2) Can the replacement structure be installed and approved in a years time.

3) If they need x structures; can the local economy create x structures in a years time?

Permits should be issued on a temp basis; a year may be to short though.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
A little searching brought up some interesting facts. The town was seriously depressed before the tornado hit and speculation is the mayor has his eye on some of the properties hit. He's a former coal miner who vacated a proposed highway interchange that might have brought new business to town in favor of a strip mine. I'd say he's well on his way to becoming national news and facing a recall vote.

http://alabamacorruption.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-self-imposed-embarassment-for.html

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Why is a year to short? You can build a home in 3-6 months. I agree with the one year exemption. But really this heartless fuck needs to be dumped in a swamp.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Its not a power trip, its about money. The guy is trying to prevent local real estate values from going down and for all I know he owns a lot of the local real estate. Especially when it comes to local governments the corruption involved in politics is formidable.

Reminds me of one guy in a small town who owned a repair shop in the two block downtown shopping area. The locals came up with a scheme to remodel the downtown shops to increase property values and voted to take his property by imminent domain. He welded a bunch of steel plate to a bulldozer and leveled the whole town.

That is BS except for potentially in the short term. We did just fine with temporarilly allowing Fema trailers in Jefferson Parish with a specific date in which they had to be moved. You could even get a hearing to prove that you needed a bit more time (repairs simply not finished yet but in progress) and it would be granted. Today, to my knowledge, there are no more Fema trailers in Jefferson Parish. I know that at least the vast majority in Orleans are gone as well but I am not sure about "all". Damn sure ain't vast trailer parks where houses used to be.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why is a year to short? You can build a home in 3-6 months. I agree with the one year exemption. But really this heartless fuck needs to be dumped in a swamp.

For one house, possibly. If all the permits and cleanup was previously done.

For 1000 houses in the same area; not likely.
The lack of supplies, manpower and government support will expand that time frame considerably.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
For one house, possibly. If all the permits and cleanup was previously done.

For 1000 houses in the same area; not likely.
The lack of supplies, manpower and government support will expand that time frame considerably.

This. They've been building a neighborhood near my house for about three years now, and that didn't include cleaning up a previously destroyed city.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Cheeky way to get rid of their "undesirables" and ratchet up property values it seems. Greed knows no bounds....ask any republican big wig for confirmation.

An asshole is an asshole, doesn't matter his party affiliation. But where did it state that this guy is a Republican? Only one site stated that he was a Republican and that is the huffingtonpost.com. You mean to tell me that Republicans have the market cornered on greed? You really are a partisan tool.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
aren't there still Katrina people living in trailers? That's probably the concern.

Yes and it is VERY dangerous to have a sizable portion of the population living in trailers. Any tornado that strikes a "FEMA Trailer Park" will wipe out countless lives. People should not live in trailers indefinitely. Such is the problem in my home town that they ban all trailers from the city limits.