No Edwards endorsement yet? Wow...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
While Edwards did not do well against Cheney, it was in a large part because Kerry muzzled him. And that is one of the reasons Kerry lost in 04. Had Kerry used some of Edwards ideas and themes in his campaign, he may well have won.

But the idea that Edwards is a lightweight debater on issue he is passionate and informed on is absurd, you do not get to be a very successful attorney by turning to silly putty in front of a judge and jury.

And the calm cool debating style of Cheney would flop badly in 08, Fred Thompson tried it and look where it got him.
It may go over like gangbusters in front of only Republicans for Cheney, but to most people, Dick Cheney is a moral degenerate way past any hope of redemption.

In campaign 08, I look for Edwards to be active, as for Dick Cheney, I doubt it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
But the idea that Edwards is a lightweight debater on issue he is passionate and informed on is absurd, you do not get to be a very successful attorney by turning to silly putty in front of a judge and jury.

Fair enough. And yet, he did get manhandled terribly by Cheney, so either he is a terrible debater (and debating is indicative of knowledge/command of an issue, among other things) or was grossly misinformed/ignorant/lazy on issues of great importance. In either case, he was and remains quite useless.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As Skoorb some what rightly points out---Fair enough. And yet, he did get manhandled terribly by Cheney, so either he is a terrible debater (and debating is indicative of knowledge/command of an issue, among other things) or was grossly misinformed/ignorant/lazy on issues of great importance. In either case, he was and remains quite useless.

It still somewhat makes my point, Edwards was forced to mouth the Kerry campaign line and could not get passionate about it. As for uninformed, Edwards did a lot to inform himself about the issues between 04 and 08. His issues will become increasingly more important in the future so I look for him to maybe make another run in 2012. If the dems win in 08, there are a lots of administration slots he could fill, if McCain wins, Edwards is going to have to find a high profile post to position himself for another run in 2012. And if the democratic nominee loses in 08, it will be more of a two person race for Edwards because I doubt the dems will give the losing nominee another shot.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
It still somewhat makes my point, Edwards was forced to mouth the Kerry campaign line and could not get passionate about it.

or was he deliberately dispassionate in an attempt to sabotage Kerry to bolster his own '08 run?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
One of the many problems with our political system... People are voting around waiting for someone to tell them who to vote for. These endorsements are pandering of the worst kind. /weak rant

Heh. If was running for office I don't think I'd want John Edwards endorsing me... ;)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Do yall think he will endorse anyone before PA?

Nope. I think it's clear he's angling for the Veep slot -- white, Southern male to balance the ticket and all.

Check. He's the only one of the big 3 who's negatives aren't stratospheric right now.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Do yall think he will endorse anyone before PA?

Nope. I think it's clear he's angling for the Veep slot -- white, Southern male to balance the ticket and all.

Check. He's the only one of the big 3 who's negatives aren't stratospheric right now.

There are three white, Southern males in Virginia I'd ask before John Edwards...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
how many males over the age of 35 are there in the United States?

that number minus one would be the number of people I'd ask before Edwards. :p

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Fair enough. And yet, he did get manhandled terribly by Cheney, so either he is a terrible debater (and debating is indicative of knowledge/command of an issue, among other things) or was grossly misinformed/ignorant/lazy on issues of great importance. In either case, he was and remains quite useless.

No, he remains quite useful for his good choices on policy and priorities, just not debates.