No DVI signal

Xerin7

Feb 2, 2007
I'm having a problem with periodically losing the DVI signal to my monitor. Everything works fine for a few hours, then it will go out. Once that happens, I can shut down the computer and unplug/plug the DVI cable and the signal will eventually come back.

What I've done so far:

1) Removed and reinserted the graphics card to ensure it's seated properly

2) Moved RAM to other slots

3) Tried a different monitor (same problem with another monitor)

4) Tried a different DVI cable (same problem with another cable)

5) Tried a VGA cable (same problem with VGA)

6) Updated graphics card driver to latest version

This is a new build that I bought from Cyberpower for my son, and the problem has been there since he opened it on Christmas morning.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770 3.40 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD

MOTHERBOARd: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)

POWERSUPPLY: 350 Watts - Antec Basiq BP350 Power Supply

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

Last edited:

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
it could be a power or heat issue...

Try running the PC on a different circuit in the house... to see if that helps... and if you're using a UPS , take that out of the equation....

My suspicion is that the power supply may not be rated high enough for the setup... That psu is only 350w... and depending on how many amps its putting out on the 12v rails.. vs what the graphics card is drawing.. bit could be right on the edge.. just a guess...

you'd need to do the calculation, factoring in periperal components, the cpu, whether you overclock, etc.. to see what size psu is needed.. If you have a another you can swap in to test, that would be the best bet...

assuming that is all ok... check for bios upgrades for the motherboard, and check the temperatures of the grapics card as well...

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Does the signal loss seem related to anything in particular? In other words, does it happen only while your son is playing games or watching movies, or does it sometimes happen randomly even when the computer is idling?

My first inclination would be to talk to Cyberpower.

Xerin7

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. My son says that the pc doesn't actually lose DVI signal when playing a game. It's only when the pc has been sitting idle for a while.

Last night, I tried removing a wifi card that was adjacent to the video card. I updated the motherboard drivers. I also changed the power settings so the pc and monitor never sleep.

However, during the night the pc lost DVI signal again.

I was thinking it might be happening when the pc goes into sleep mode, but apparently not since I changed the settings.

Any other ideas?

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
could be a bios sleep state related issue.... try changing the settings to see if that helps (e..g S1 vs S3, etc.)... or update to latest bios to see if that helps...

Xerin7

Feb 2, 2007
I haven't made any additional changes since my last post, but for some reason the pc seems to be working fine now. If we do start having issues again, I'll check out the bios settings for sleep state.

Thanks again for the help.