Question No display after failed post

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
In trying to push timings on my 5800X, I've run into a weird issue where after a failed post I can't seem to get into the BIOS to reset anything. The behaviour was strange though, after a CMOS clear the fans and USB peripherals would act like it had posted, but I had a black screen. At first I would try even taking out the CMOS battery and leaving it for a half hour, but even that didn't solve the issue.

Eventually I tried swapping out the 1080 Ti with a 380, and low and behold I got right into the BIOS. Once I'd set everything back up again I can the put the 1080 Ti back in and it boots fine. Even restarting with stable settings I can enter the BIOS with the 1080 Ti, it's just after a failed post that I don't get display. I've replicated this a couple times with swapping to the 380 as well as an old Fermi NVS card.

Any idea what could be the issue? My Prime X570-P isn't the most convenient overclocking board to begin with, but having to swap out the GPU all the time is driving me nuts.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
In trying to push timings on my 5800X, I've run into a weird issue where after a failed post I can't seem to get into the BIOS to reset anything. The behaviour was strange though, after a CMOS clear the fans and USB peripherals would act like it had posted, but I had a black screen. At first I would try even taking out the CMOS battery and leaving it for a half hour, but even that didn't solve the issue.

Eventually I tried swapping out the 1080 Ti with a 380, and low and behold I got right into the BIOS. Once I'd set everything back up again I can the put the 1080 Ti back in and it boots fine. Even restarting with stable settings I can enter the BIOS with the 1080 Ti, it's just after a failed post that I don't get display. I've replicated this a couple times with swapping to the 380 as well as an old Fermi NVS card.

Any idea what could be the issue? My Prime X570-P isn't the most convenient overclocking board to begin with, but having to swap out the GPU all the time is driving me nuts.
I have the same board and very similar issue with 1600AF. What I found out is that when I push the memory beoynd what IMC can handle the board panicks and is stuck with black screen. I found that if I disconnect the cable (DVI or HDMI) from my GTX1080 , reset the CMOS and reconnect the cable, the board will post. It is a weird issue indeed and was driving me crazy for days.

Reactions: richierich1212

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Yeah, it was pushing the memory timings. I’ll try forcing it to fail and mess around with the cable to see if I can really suss out a best method of recovery that doesn’t involve removing hardware. I’ll probably toss in a panel mount switch and wire the clear CMOS jumper to it as well.

Thanks.