No display adapter in device manager...cannot add one.

RBBRMADE

Oct 28, 2003
My brother has an older system of mine. It has a epox 4G4A+ mobo, P4 2.26, and a Radeon Vid card running XP Home.
He said he has been experiencing some occaisional lags for no reason.
He decided to uninstall and reinstall his vid drivers, and now is having some strange issues!
He uninstalled, but now cannot reinstall the drivers. He shows no display adapters in the device manger, not even in safe mode.
He cannot add hardware manually, where you select the device, etc., because there are NO display adapters listed!
He says the system runs with the Radeon card, but sees the card as an unknown device, and will not allow him to load the drivers.
He is very PC smart, it is surprising that something has stumped him!

He told me he switched to the onboard video, and the PC displays POST, but will not display once Windows starts.
He installed another video card, and it is doing the same thing, so it is not the vid card.
He has reinstalled chipset drivers. He has system restore turned off, so he cannot do that.

Any ideas? He had already done everything I could think of. He is considering a 'repair' of XP before he dump and reloads, but I am not sure this is not a hardware issue.

Thanx,
Ron

May 10, 2004
Try the Radeon card in another machine, and another (any) video card in this problem machine. You can get this sign or symptom when the video card is defective or improperly seated. Otherwise, my suspect is the overall setup with Raid, BIOS reset, or BIOS settings for the Geil memory. Also, make an extra effort to remove or disable the non-existent video drivers

RBBRMADE

Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: raybay
Try the Radeon card in another machine, and another (any) video card in this problem machine. You can get this sign or symptom when the video card is defective or improperly seated. Otherwise, my suspect is the overall setup with Raid, BIOS reset, or BIOS settings for the Geil memory. Also, make an extra effort to remove or disable the non-existent video drivers

Originally posted by: RBBRMADE

He told me he switched to the onboard video, and the PC displays POST, but will not display once Windows starts.
He installed another video card, and it is doing the same thing, so it is not the vid card.

Ron

Geil memory? He is running Corsair. No Raid either.
Thanx for the input, though.
Ron