No DirectX 10.1 in Vista SP1

TroubleM

Nov 28, 2005
Having read that Microsoft finished work on SP1 and announced a RTM, I was curious as to how will this work on my Vista 32. And then, the bad news, that I had to wait until march or even later to install it.

So, I just downloaded off torrents the SP1 that everybody called Final only to find out that it reports only DirectX 10.

I have a Geforce 8800GT, so it might be still an issue there.

Or, hopefully, this is NOT the final version. If it is, it simply sucks.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Its there in the final.
Look in system32 .
You should find
d3d10.dll
d3d10_1.dll
d3d10_1core.dll
d3d10core.dll

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
1) Your sources aren't exactly the most reputable:
I just downloaded off torrents the SP1 that everybody called Final
2) Would MS necessarily have to release a new version of D3D along with a Service Pack?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
they wouldn't, but that's how they choose to release it.

The big deal with DX10.1 is that it mandates/standardizes support for MSAA 4x (the card maker might choose not to support it with DX10 cards) and it also allows a new technique called "bicubic sampling" I think... And shader model 4.1 (which I think is what adds the bicubic sampling thingie)

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: taltamir
they wouldn't, but that's how they choose to release it.

The big deal with DX10.1 is that it mandates/standardizes support for MSAA 4x (the card maker might choose not to support it with DX10 cards) and it also allows a new technique called "bicubic sampling" I think... And shader model 4.1 (which I think is what adds the bicubic sampling thingie)

With regards to AA support, I don't think the hardware makers have been the issue... AFAIK, all the 8-series, 29xx, and 38xx cards all support AA under DX10... There a few games that don't though.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I have read release notes for SP1 and it clearly states it incorporates new DX release.

Adds support for Direct3D® 10.1, an update to Direct3D 10 that extends the API to support new hardware features, enabling 3D application and game developers to make more complete and efficient use of the upcoming generations of graphics hardware.

link to PDF @ microsoft.com

torrent=what you pay for

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
I have read release notes for SP1 and it clearly states it incorporates new DX release.

Adds support for Direct3D® 10.1, an update to Direct3D 10 that extends the API to support new hardware features, enabling 3D application and game developers to make more complete and efficient use of the upcoming generations of graphics hardware.

link to PDF @ microsoft.com

torrent=what you pay for

don't be ridiculous... answer is below and I don't take credit for it.

Originally posted by: Modelworks
Its there in the final.
Look in system32 .
You should find
d3d10.dll
d3d10_1.dll
d3d10_1core.dll
d3d10core.dll

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The weird thing about Microsoft is that RTM for them doesn't mean what RTM means to everyone else. So the version you downloaded isn't necessarily the final version. And even if it is, so what? MS will just release a DX10.1 patch eventually.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: TroubleM
Having read that Microsoft finished work on SP1 and announced a RTM, I was curious as to how will this work on my Vista 32. And then, the bad news, that I had to wait until march or even later to install it.

So, I just downloaded off torrents the SP1 that everybody called Final only to find out that it reports only DirectX 10.

I have a Geforce 8800GT, so it might be still an issue there.

Or, hopefully, this is NOT the final version. If it is, it simply sucks.

The 8800 series doesn't support Dx10.1 only the 3800 series from ATI, it is there in SP1 and even if you didn't download it- it won't make a difference to you.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Yeah, Microsoft decided to contradict themselves & remove DX10.1 in SP1 just to piss you off :roll:

On a more serious note, look for the files Modelworks mentioned.

I have the DX10.1 .dlls even in the Public RC of SP1.

TroubleM

Nov 28, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
Yeah, Microsoft decided to contradict themselves & remove DX10.1 in SP1 just to piss you off :roll:

On a more serious note, look for the files Modelworks mentioned.

I have the DX10.1 .dlls even in the Public RC of SP1.

Not to piss me off. The only ones that have a lot to gain from DirectX10.1 are AMD/ATI. If there is no DX10.1 in SP1, they have a lot to lose. To the consumer, DX10 itself didn't bring anything usefull yet.

I don't see any reason to hide the fact that it has DX10.1 if those .dlls are the real deal.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
I can tell a siginificant difference in Crysis no doubt. I run in DX9 anyway just to get a little more FPS. Its not worth running DX10 to get 7-10 less FPS. But eventually I would love to see the day where I can max everything out and get 60-70 FPS on average. That would be incredibly awesome. DX10 looks damn cool in Crysis IMO. :)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
the new nvidia geforce 9 cards coming out in march should support DX10.1
So its not only ATI that stands to gain from it. As it seems the GF9 cards will be out before the final version SP1. (month's before)
So far its just future proofing as there isn't a single game that is DX10.1 capable. And very few cards, and the API has not even been officially released.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
So its not only ATI that stands to gain from it. As it seems the GF9 cards will be out before the final version SP1. (month's before)
So far its just future proofing as there isn't a single game that is DX10.1 capable. And very few cards, and the API has not even been officially released.

The REAL GeForce 9 cards aren't due until middle of this year. The card coming out in March is the 9800GX2, which is actually two 8800 cores slapped together (much like the 3870x2). It's not a new architecture.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac

The REAL GeForce 9 cards aren't due until middle of this year. The card coming out in March is the 9800GX2, which is actually two 8800 cores slapped together (much like the 3870x2). It's not a new architecture.

what? then I have been waiting in vain! I better go grab me an 8800GT then as there is no way in hell I am buying a GX2.