No CD found from Win 98 Boot Disk

PhylloDo

Aug 15, 2001
When I boot to my floppy, I get a message:

Device driver not found: "MSCD001'.
No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

The drive works fine in Win 98. I can't get into the BIOS.

I'm trying to format the drive and reinstall Windows

Thanks,
PhylloDo.

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
I would bet that your floppy is corrupt. Try making a new boot disk using a new floppy and see if that works.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Possibly your boot floppy is incomplete or corrupted. The CD ROM driver (MSCDEX.EXE) is found in the OAKCDROM.SYS file. When it boots, it first opens a menu screen where you choose with or without CD drive support.

Can you create or borrow another Win98 Emergency Boot Disk?

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
I've had problems with an ancient PC of mine (now thankfully gone to the great scrapheap in the sky) whose CD-ROM wasn't recognized by the W98 Floppy. After I replaced the CD-ROM drive, all was smiles. If the suggestions above fail, this could be your problem.

PhylloDo

Aug 15, 2001
Created a new one..... No good.

Going to try sticking in a new drive.

Any other suggestions?

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
I have seen a couple of cdroms not work on the generic drivers that 98 supplies. Although those were old when 98 came out new. ;)

Semper Fi

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
either your FDD is corrupt, or your disk is corrupt. that happend to me when my fdd drive was fscked.

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001
What brand is the CD-ROM? SemperFi is right. I had tons of trouble with a panasonic drive. Turns out, it uses proprietary drivers. Is this an old or new CD drive? I think modern CD-ROMS, by all manufacturers, can use the Oak drivers.

PhylloDo

Aug 15, 2001
Oh it's old all right. Compaq and Matsushita are the only names that I can recognize. Manufactured in January 1996.

I tried it with another CD drive and it worked. Although I'm having problems installing Windows now.

That's what you get for leaving a project until the last minute....

Thanks for everyone's help.

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
FYI, and all the others reading this....look for CDGod55.exe...it creates a bootable diskette, which has >40 different CD drivers, which you can try in turn, until you find the one that works w/ your CD. Does NOT require reboots to try a different driver!

I'm not the author, but a very happy user. :D

nihil

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2002

<< FYI, and all the others reading this....look for CDGod55.exe...it creates a bootable diskette, which has >40 different CD drivers, which you can try in turn, until you find the one that works w/ your CD. Does NOT require reboots to try a different driver!

I'm not the author, but a very happy user. :D
>>

wow, thanks for that info. =)

for everyone else i found the CDGod site and linked it for you.