No 3.5mm headphone jacks on the next iPhone?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Fourthed.

I would rather have a 1/2" thick phone with a battery that lasts all day than a wafer-thin phone that I can't even grip in my hands without a case (coughcoughiPhone6S).

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Who cares. It's not like apple cares about audio quality to begin with. I am pretty sure the will sell you a lightning port 2 3.5mm adapter for 30 bucks and sit back, laugh, and rake in the $$$.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
It doesn't matter. This will be hailed as a brilliant move as soon as it is implemented. "Why did it take Apple to realize the antiquated headphone jack is no longer needed?" Every other phone manufacturer will be sure to follow suit shortly after.

Maybe this is a sneaky plan to try and boost iPod sales. You want a headphone jack? Apple has got you covered.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I want hi-res audio. If this is a requirement, I have no issue with the change.

There are phones out already that support high resolution audio through a headphone jack (LG and Sony for sure and I think some Samsung phones), so I don't believe that is the driving force behind getting rid of the jack. Getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack does eliminate one common failure point and allows for thinner design though.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ditch-headphone-jack-report-article-1.2451214

Interesting if the rumors that headphones will have to connect through the lighting port prove to be true....

Is a thinner phone with better headphone audio quality worth it? will those who shelled out big bucks for their beats head phones have enough left over to buy an adapter (or is this a rhetorical question)?

1) To lose the stereo port would be moronic. That said, if they INCLUDED a lightning to stereo adapter, I'd be OK with that.
2) Audio quality is fine. I have no interest in an upgraded port for the golden ears.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Meh. Thinner isn't better. Especially when it comes at the cost of less battery and forcing non-standarized accessories.

Not sure which is a bigger cluster...this or the Macbook and it's singular USB C port.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Eh, so long as it supports Bluetooth I don't care. Honestly, I've switched to wireless and can't go back.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Who cares. It's not like apple cares about audio quality to begin with. I am pretty sure the will sell you a lightning port 2 3.5mm adapter for 30 bucks and sit back, laugh, and rake in the $$$.

Really? That's why they stuck a rather good Cirrus Logic (Wolfson) setup in there that's only bested by the ESS setup in the V10?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
1) To lose the stereo port would be moronic. That said, if they INCLUDED a lightning to stereo adapter, I'd be OK with that.
2) Audio quality is fine. I have no interest in an upgraded port for the golden ears.

They won't, unless they leave the headphone amp in there and have analog audio out from the lightning port...which I doubt. You'll need a DAC.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
They won't, unless they leave the headphone amp in there and have analog audio out from the lightning port...which I doubt. You'll need a DAC.
An iPhone without an amp for stereo audio out would be useless as far as I'm concerned.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
My phone is currently the only device I have with a headphone jack, minus my USB audio controller, which has 1/4" * XLR jacks. I have about 10 pairs of cans, none of them are 3.5 so this change wouldn't bother me at all. I use Bluetooth to listen to music on my cell, and my studio stuff is all 1/4" jack. If I can get a good pair of cans with a lighting connector I'm all for it. *IF* this story pans out, all the good headphone makers will definitely jump on board. Some Audio Technica Lighting cans would be thumbs up in my book.

Nov 20, 2009
Not sure its about being thin this time. Its more like "How can we force people to buy their accessories all over again?"

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Not sure its about being thin this time. Its more like "How can we force people to buy their accessories all over again?"

Little of A, little of B. Just not sure where the line is between the 2.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Sadder still... If they did do this, Samsung would follow suit.

Heck... Why even a charge port? Takes up too much space. Just wireless charging. No buttons or ports what-so-ever.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
The idea is that one day you will be walking around with only a piece of plastic/glass in your hand that fold and unfold seamlessly. Or better yet, your smart watch will project a holographic screen in your hand. And we will likely also have a way to connect sound directly into our brain by-passing the ears entirely.

Until then, I want my god damn existing earphones to work with my phone.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Initially I was worried at how durable a lightning headphone jack would be. But after seeing that Apple pencil video being bent in all directions when plugged in, it's going to be quite durable.

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007
Just as with every connector change ever, people will bitch and moan for short period and then life will go on. In six months no one will think twice about it.

The headphone jack sucks anyway.