NJ Cops indicted for lying and tampering with police dash cam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Speaking as one who lives in NJ, provocation isn't required. The small proportion of bad cops know the rest will back them up without question.

That makes them all bad cops, which I why some of us don't buy the bullshit about bad cops being a small minority.

There's no such thing as a good cop.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
in one mid sized suburban city.

I'd like to see them try it in new york or LA. I bet all kinds of "technical difficulties" pop up.

It would be in the police best interest to make sure that does not happen.

If I was on a Jury and it just so happens that the camera stopped working at the time of the complaint I would lean toward believing the person over the cop then unless there was a hugh history of defective cameras.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
What provoked these Thugs to be so violent on the DJ to begin with?

Anyone know?

One of the police cars crossed over the median and accidentally hit Jeter's car. Before that happened the cops were aggressive but not criminally so. After the cop hit his car then they went out of their way to make Jeter the bad guy.

A cop accidentally hitting a man's car during a routine stop calls for an internal affairs investigation, lots of paperwork, and possible repercussions for the cop. In order to avoid all that they went out of their way to make Jeter as guilty of everything they could pin on him. This is a perfect example of the cover-up (Assaulting Jeter, trying to get him in jail) is worse then the crime (a cop over-zealous in his pursuit accidentally hitting a parked car)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I didn't see this posted the first time.

Luckily for the guy, the dashcam footage didn't mysteriously get "overwritten" to exonerate the man of any claimed actions by the police officers. Unfortunately for the tax payers, they'll be on the hook to pay the settlement or judgement.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
This is why donut eaters need to wear Go-Pro like cameras too! I am a mod on a policing forum and I see one police brutality case after another.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Body cameras is one solution, personally I'd consider just during most of the patrol cops and replacing them with speed cameras along with posting reasonable speed limits

Patrol cops often police by gotcha tactics. Sitting at the bottom of hills/intentionally low speed limit areas/bullshit defective vehicle stops.

When I was in the UK, there were very little patrol cops, just cameras in certain dangerous areas and fast motorways. Gone was the paranoia you get driving around wondering where the cops are hiding, wondering if today is the day they want to pull you over just because they don't like your car/ looking for drunks/drugs/ justwant to see what you are up to.
Driving in the UK was more predictable, cameras well posted, so you knew when you needed to take caution.

Sep 7, 2009
Body cameras is one solution, personally I'd consider just during most of the patrol cops and replacing them with speed cameras along with posting reasonable speed limits

Patrol cops often police by gotcha tactics. Sitting at the bottom of hills/intentionally low speed limit areas/bullshit defective vehicle stops.

When I was in the UK, there were very little patrol cops, just cameras in certain dangerous areas and fast motorways. Gone was the paranoia you get driving around wondering where the cops are hiding, wondering if today is the day they want to pull you over just because they don't like your car/ looking for drunks/drugs/ justwant to see what you are up to.
Driving in the UK was more predictable, cameras well posted, so you knew when you needed to take caution.

Police unions and pro-police lobbyists would never allow that to happen in the US, unfortunately.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Police unions and pro-police lobbyists would never allow that to happen in the US, unfortunately.

No way, is a massive jobs program. It would have to driven by the taxpayer realizing all the extra policing we are paying for and decide to call it back.

Think of all the extra salaries/pensions/ patrol cars/fuel/equipment/etc that we pay for that could be replaced with better technology. Plus tech isn't biased, you don't get out of tickets for having big tits, nor do you get harassed for being the wrong person in the wrong neighborhood.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So were you.
But my assumptions were based on logic and experience.

Having a CBD colors not only your logic but your experience which is just your interpretation of events, not necessarily the reality of them. A compass may believe it points North, but can be deflected by invisible forces.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
It would be in the police best interest to make sure that does not happen.

If I was on a Jury and it just so happens that the camera stopped working at the time of the complaint I would lean toward believing the person over the cop then unless there was a hugh history of defective cameras.
It shouldn't be up the the discretion of the jury to acquit in cases like this. The "missing video" exclusion should take care of this automatically. Basically, if there SHOULD have been video tapes (from police cars or body cameras) of an incident, and the videos are missing for any reason, then the presumption in any police said/accused said situation should be with the accused. The accused could still be convicted with hard evidence not obtained during the missing-video incident, but ALL "evidence" and police testimony associated with the missing-video incident would be excluded, and the accused's version of events presumed to be true.

And of course, if a police officer has a history of videos "missing" - or of video cameras "malfunctioning" - in police misconduct disputes, then this should be cause for being fired.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think that the police should be as integrated into the community as possible. Who here believes that if his job day after day, say a white cop working in a low class black area, and seeing Black people who have basically been reduced to criminality by economic poverty and inequality, wouldn't begin to see all Black people as animals. The CBD, in this case lets call it generalized pattern recognition, a highly developed intelligence and survival mechanism rather well developed in the human brain is an effective tool that has helped us survive as a species but one that can't be easily consciously turned off to protect us against the bad effects of stereotyping, the formation of bigotry.

But if police were better integrated into the community instead of being seen as predators on it by the community, and instead of always appearing to be the enemy with all the defensiveness and counter hostility that goes with that, perhaps such integration could include only enforcement work, but also positive work in the community. It is always better, I think, psychologically, to get positive feedback and good feelings from doing community good rather than just using only force to establish respect for oneself both internally and with the community.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Every cop should wear a body camera, and not have the ability to control or review what it captures. Dispatchers should be the only one's that control when the camera is off, for bathroom and meal breaks, and it must also automatically turn on after a specific period of time.

The problem that I now feel this way, even though I have LEO's as friends, is that while 90% of cops are fair when dealing with citizens, 90% of them will turn a blind eye toward misconduct by other cops. Since the police won't police themselves, then we have to.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Every cop should wear a body camera, and not have the ability to control or review what it captures. Dispatchers should be the only one's that control when the camera is off, for bathroom and meal breaks, and it must also automatically turn on after a specific period of time.

The problem that I now feel this way, even though I have LEO's as friends, is that while 90% of cops are fair when dealing with citizens, 90% of them will turn a blind eye toward misconduct by other cops. Since the police won't police themselves, then we have to.
Frankly, I think it should be two or more body cameras. That would considerably reduce the odds of legitimate "malfunctions."

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Shira and MtnMan have some good ideas.

it's sad when the bad cops are a small minority. yet you can't trust any cop because they protect the bad ones.

20 years ago the majority of people respected cops. today? i don't know many who trust them or respect them. to many stories of BS going on and it getting hidden and the cops protected.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Tell me why these cops should not be facing a firing squad? Oh yeah, because cops investigate cops thus all charges will be swept under the rug. There should a third party involved in doing all the investigating when these worthless fucks try to act like rambo.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
One of the police cars crossed over the median and accidentally hit Jeter's car. Before that happened the cops were aggressive but not criminally so. After the cop hit his car then they went out of their way to make Jeter the bad guy.

You have to be kidding,,,,,,you say one of the Police cars crossed over the line......yeah right...one of the Police care purposely rammed the front of Jeters car from oncoming traffic lane.........the cops were hell bent on screwing this guy....

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It shouldn't be up the the discretion of the jury to acquit in cases like this. The "missing video" exclusion should take care of this automatically. Basically, if there SHOULD have been video tapes (from police cars or body cameras) of an incident, and the videos are missing for any reason, then the presumption in any police said/accused said situation should be with the accused. The accused could still be convicted with hard evidence not obtained during the missing-video incident, but ALL "evidence" and police testimony associated with the missing-video incident would be excluded, and the accused's version of events presumed to be true.

And of course, if a police officer has a history of videos "missing" - or of video cameras "malfunctioning" - in police misconduct disputes, then this should be cause for being fired.

You would think this. However a lot of juries will automatically believe a Cop over a civilian. Also the DA will way over-charge and try to get the person to plead out. In this case if a issue was made about the missing tapes the conversation could have gone like this. If you plead you will get you 2-years if you don't you will be looking at a minimum 10 years. What do you want to do? Do you want to take a chance that a jury will believe your side versus the cops?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You would think this. However a lot of juries will automatically believe a Cop over a civilian. Also the DA will way over-charge and try to get the person to plead out. In this case if a issue was made about the missing tapes the conversation could have gone like this. If you plead you will get you 2-years if you don't you will be looking at a minimum 10 years. What do you want to do? Do you want to take a chance that a jury will believe your side versus the cops?
You are correct! Let me tell you a story that happened to me......
I was scheduled and chosen for Jury duty.......both attorneys for the prosecution and the defense interviewed us one at a time. The prosecution asked me one question and that question was (mind you this was 15 years ago) would I apply the letter of the law to this case if I was chosen? of course I said YES!! Then the defense asked me a very long question that basically was -- If somebody sees what they believe to be an assault and the Police arrive and arrest the person. Yet the persons spouse says no assault took place.
What would you do? Mind you California when it comes to a marital assault arrests first and asks questions later. I told him sometimes laws are stupid and as such the letter of the law might not apply!

I was dismissed from Jury duty and a friend of mine who is a Judge told me that the prosecution tried that case 2 times and each time there was no conviction!!

I am of the opinion that somebody else chosen for jury duty lied when they were questioned.....

Who was wrong? Nobody -- justice prevailed regardless of what the cop or prosecution thought!!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think the feigned innocence from prosecutors is the most damning part. They know the dash cams exist, and the tape would be the first thing an honest prosecutor would want to see to use it to back up police testimony.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That makes them all bad cops, which I why some of us don't buy the bullshit about bad cops being a small minority.

There's no such thing as a good cop.

Utterly shameful. Cops are like everybody else- some have integrity, some don't. You draw your own into question in no small way.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

You wouldn't believe how many people drive well above the speed limit here. I do the speed limit and everyone just drives right past me burning up their gas and yet we both approach the same stop light. Fucking idiots right there. I'm glad the cops are handing out speeding tickets because frankly the people deserve them.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Utterly shameful. Cops are like everybody else- some have integrity, some don't. You draw your own into question in no small way.

No, cops are not like everybody else. Cops get to bully people legally, so it attracts a certain kind of person. The kind that likes bully people.

I'm not surprised to see this from you however, Resident Bootlicker.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I am also curious what kind of actual time these cops are looking at, seeing as how they damn near put an innocent guy in jail for minimum 5 years IF he plead guilty to something he was innocent of.

Guaranteed less time than they were trying to pin on the innocent guy. I think whatever sentence they get should automatically tack on whatever time they were trying to pin on the innocent guy.