• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Nivida Shadowplay - Would you record to your SSD or HDD?

utahraptor

Apr 26, 2004
Since I have the choice and plenty of room on both do you think it would be best to use the HDD for Shadowplay storage? I am concerned about the possible abuse the SSD would sustain long term with this type of crazy disk writing.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Since I have the choice and plenty of room on both do you think it would be best to use the HDD for Shadowplay storage? I am concerned about the possible abuse the SSD would sustain long term with this type of crazy disk writing.
I think average HDD will be able to keep up with this no prob so go with your storage drive

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
We have HD cameras at work (720p and 1080i/p) and our hyperdeck shuttles recommend SSDs for recording HD in ProRes or other Quicktime files. If you're going with a higher compression or lower resolution you could probably record to a HDD.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Always record with HDD's (as long as they're fast enough to keep up, which most modern drives are), it's better for the drive.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I picked me up one of those 1TB SSDHD hybrid drives, does 150+MB/s without breaking a sweat, was only $80 when i got it on sale. That said, I would not be concerned with using my SSD drive if if my only option, I forgot the site, but they did a torture test and write 200TB on it and its not failed yet. :D

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
afaik, these last 2 gen of SSD have no problem getting abused; however, i'd like to know as well.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I was playing with Shadowplay this morning, and there was no problem writing to a single 7200RPM hard drive. On high settings (1080p60) the write speeds needed is only 7MB/s (54Mbps). I wouldnt use an SSD for this because of the storage capacity, and you'll have limits on how much you can record.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Graphics Cards 23

ASK THE COMMUNITY