Nissan Altima - what the heck are zero gravity seats?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They are filled with a precisely measured amount of helium to make them weight exactly 0 (no unit needed here because well, it's 0). This makes it so it's easier to take them out of the car to make more room. They are also working on zero gravity tires.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
So, they have seats optimized for zero G. Wouldn't 1G seats be a better idea?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
So, they have seats optimized for zero G. Wouldn't 1G seats be a better idea?

That is my thought.
I suppose my problem with Nissan is not whatever the seats do, as I am sure it is BS.
It is the insult for them to think the consumer is so stupid that zero G is the best way to fool someone into thinking, "What a wizzbang car this is!"
A zero G seat would require the driver to be almost completely prone, so they can relax and fall asleep while looking at the headliner in their car. Are these silly marketing claims ever going to backfire, or will the general public never realise how these ads insult their intelligence. It is terrible becasue I generally like Nissan. I would consider buying one. But now, all I can think about is some douche thinking he is sitting on space age seats in his Nissan.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
This is a bit of a gimick, but I would generally accept their claim that this is a Zero G chair:
368245081_669.jpg

regular 2012 Nissan Altima seat:
2012-Nissan-Altima-Sedan-2.5-S-Front-Seat-Image.jpg

Zero G 2013 Nissan Altima seat:
2013-the-Nissan-Altima-seat-interior.jpg

I know one is cloth, and the other is leather, but they look to be substantially the same. I wish consumers would react negatively to absurd claims, and that that would motivate marketing to stop trying to outright fool people.

Mar 11, 2004
http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/180948/2013-nissan-altima-new-car-review.jsp

That says that all the seats are "zero g" so the cloth and leather aren't different in that respect.

It is a marketing gimmick, but their idea was in the right place and it could work. Like was mentioned yeah, them basing it off zero g stuff is kinda stupid since you're not driving in space (now that would be an innovation worthy of the name). Its not so much what they did as the fact that they worked to improve comfort.

And yes, this does work on the average consumer like you wouldn't believe. I know tons of people that get suckered in with stupid crap.

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
I often mail manufacturers and ask them to explain outrageous marketing claims. I have gotten som quite entertaining replies.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
That is my thought.
I suppose my problem with Nissan is not whatever the seats do, as I am sure it is BS.
It is the insult for them to think the consumer is so stupid that zero G is the best way to fool someone into thinking, "What a wizzbang car this is!"
A zero G seat would require the driver to be almost completely prone, so they can relax and fall asleep while looking at the headliner in their car. Are these silly marketing claims ever going to backfire, or will the general public never realise how these ads insult their intelligence. It is terrible becasue I generally like Nissan. I would consider buying one. But now, all I can think about is some douche thinking he is sitting on space age seats in his Nissan.
Answer to bolded statement: No, and no. :\

Most people will be wowed by the awesomely-advanced zero-G technology. It references NASA, so it has to be all full of all kinds of super-sciencey thingers.

I often mail manufacturers and ask them to explain outrageous marketing claims. I have gotten som quite entertaining replies.
"We appreciate your interest in our products. Please stop asking questions and go away."

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is Nissan the same company that says "Skyactive technology" in their commercials but never says what it means?

J.J

Sep 24, 2013
Yes.... it not only has vtec, zero G seats, muffler bearings and freeze proof blinker fluid....

Agreed on the above statements regarding the insulting of the intelligence of the prospective buyers. But granted - it got my attention enough to google it and land here...:\

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Aren't they just regular bucket seats?

I'm sure there are some ergonomic considerations that go into them, but that isn't very different from all the other manufacturers.