nintendo wii usb connection restricted to nintendo wii usb lan adapter

lesch2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2001
i go out and buy a cheap lan to USB connector for the nintendo wii. plug it in to the usb slot and it doesnt work.

wtf?

turns out nintendo says they only accept the official nintendo wii lan to usb adapter.

i dont have wireless so i cant connect that way...

any thoughts. why does nintendo not just make it a regualr usb port that can take any old wired lan adapter.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
It will probably be cheaper for you to buy a wireless router than the nintendo lan adapter.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Because they don't want to have to implement drivers for every type of USB lan adapter on the market?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I guess a little research in the subject owuld have helped. You aren't the first to try it.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: loup garou
Because they can't write drivers for all the zillions of different USB LAN adapters out there?

If this were about the PS3 having the same issue, everyone would spot it for what it is - taking as much money from you as possible. But Nintendo can do no wrong.

And BTW, they could have written a single driver that would be compatible with most - if not ALL USB LAN adapters out there.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDZen
Because they can't write drivers for all the zillions of different USB LAN adapters out there?

If this were about the PS3 having the same issue, everyone would spot it for what it is - taking as much money from you as possible. But Nintendo can do no wrong.

And BTW, they could have written a single driver that would be compatible with most - if not ALL USB LAN adapters out there.

Well, and lets be honest, they could have nixed one of the USB ports and replaced it with a LAN port to get around the drivers completely, but whatever. The built in wireless works great, and considering a wireless router costs like $10, its not a big deal.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

You're absolutely right, and you won't find me defending Nintendo over this.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Nooo.....If this were Sony, you'd be REQUIRED to by their USB adapter and it would be twice the price.

In this situation, you can buy a problem free wireless router off the shelf for the same price or less, and it'll work just fine.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Slick5150

Well, and lets be honest, they could have nixed one of the USB ports and replaced it with a LAN port to get around the drivers completely, but whatever. The built in wireless works great, and considering a wireless router costs like $10, its not a big deal.

I just find it incredible that on a tech forum of all places you would see this. Surely someone else would post about the realization that multiple drivers aren't needed for such a simple device. They all act the same regardless of brand.

Hell, they could of shamlessly borrowed one from a linux/open source platform and made it work with very little effort.

In all reality the only reason it irks me is because its Nintendo and even people who write drivers will flat out sub-consciously block the truth of this simple because its Nintendo. Nintendo wants your money just like any other company, if anything they're worse since they actually turn a profit - Sony's practically giving the PS3 away ;)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Slick5150

I just find it incredible that on a tech forum of all places you would see this. Surely someone else would post about the realization that multiple drivers aren't needed for such a simple device. They all act the same regardless of brand.

Hell, they could of shamlessly borrowed one from a linux/open source platform and made it work with very little effort.

In all reality the only reason it irks me is because its Nintendo and even people who write drivers will flat out sub-consciously block the truth of this simple because its Nintendo. Nintendo wants your money just like any other company, if anything they're worse since they actually turn a profit - Sony's practically giving the PS3 away ;)

/emote crowns AMDZen his successor.

I retire.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh
wasn't there someone that tested some from newegg and found them to work?

It would make sense that if you found whatever kind they outsourced to brand as theirs, it would work.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Or maybe because this is a tech forum, most of the users here realize that different USB LAN adapters require different drivers. Drivers are usually only compatible across a specific chipset.

Google USB LAN driver and see for yourself.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
the wireless usb adapter that plugs into your computer and wirelessly to the wii is made by buffalo

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
why does PS2 have usb ports, but do not take in compact, ubiquitous, cheap USB flashdrives....instead to take their baloney 30$ memory cards that hold 8mb....

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: LS20
why does PS2 have usb ports, but do not take in compact, ubiquitous, cheap USB flashdrives....instead to take their baloney 30$ memory cards that hold 8mb....

Probably because usb flashdrives were not common when the ps2 came out something like 6 years ago.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20

Hey, the Cube cards were pricey too and much smaller. Plus they released different versions in incrementally larger sizes over time to squeeze the most out of their customers as possible.