Nintendo Switch Lite in September

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That's pretty awesome to be able to get a Switch for $200. Especially considering the New 3DS XL was $175 at Christmas last year, and Switch is a massive upgrade. I just hope it's pretty durable since the obvious use case here is to buy it for your kids. Even though I have the adult Switch already I really like the look of that yellow one too.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
That's pretty awesome to be able to get a Switch for $200. Especially considering the New 3DS XL was $175 at Christmas last year, and Switch is a massive upgrade. I just hope it's pretty durable since the obvious use case here is to buy it for your kids. Even though I have the adult Switch already I really like the look of that yellow one too.
LOL. Indeed. The yellow is the same one I may be interested in.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
$200 seems a little high given that you're losing the $80 dock and no longer have the more advanced, removable controllers.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
$200 seems a little high given that you're losing the $80 dock and no longer have the more advanced, removable controllers.

And unlike the other consoles, the new target hardware has only a lower quality graphics output. Wonder how much effort will be put into a large screen experience when the new device lacks any ability to do it out of the box.

For example, in order to push sales of the PS4 Pro and XB1X, devs included higher quality textures, resolution and higher frame rates. What incentive would Nintendo have for hitting anything over 720p if the push is now mobile?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
And unlike the other consoles, the new target hardware has only a lower quality graphics output. Wonder how much effort will be put into a large screen experience when the new device lacks any ability to do it out of the box.

For example, in order to push sales of the PS4 Pro and XB1X, devs included higher quality textures, resolution and higher frame rates. What incentive would Nintendo have for hitting anything over 720p if the push is now mobile?

Do Switch games tend to use higher resolution assets when docked? I thought most of them just used the same assets, but allowed for higher resolutions (albeit, not that much higher) and/or faster framerates.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Do Switch games tend to use higher resolution assets when docked? I thought most of them just used the same assets, but allowed for higher resolutions (albeit, not that much higher) and/or faster framerates.

I thought the assets were made for the docked version of the game and then scaled down. The is the first time that I can remember a console revision being launched that isn't parity or better than the original. Maybe the PS3 when they striped the functionality out of the later ones, but the graphics target was still the same.

Mar 11, 2004
Not being able to dock at all is a bummer, but otherwise it seems nice. Not a fan of any of those colors though. I'd probably go for this version mostly because of the price and having less than no interest in the Joy-cons (which I think adds a lot of complexity and other issues to the normal Switch). I hope they improve the button feel as that's another aspect I'm not big on the Joycons for (the buttons and joysticks felt weirdly cheap to me). I personally would prefer symmetrical joystick layout too (with them being on the lower part, like the Vita layout).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I was under the impression that the increased resolution was simply scaling and many times did not run as well. The actual assets were the same.

That was what I had always thought.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I never really liked the Joy Con's either... and then there's the fact that they're like $80 new.

So, this Lite version being 'dedicated to handheld' means no external HDMI connections right? I'm not familiar with the Switch so I assume that was one of the features of the dock...

dstroeve

Sep 6, 2017
Wow! Didn't know there was a lite version of Switch. I should save money before Christmas.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I never really liked the Joy Con's either... and then there's the fact that they're like $80 new.

So, this Lite version being 'dedicated to handheld' means no external HDMI connections right? I'm not familiar with the Switch so I assume that was one of the features of the dock...

No HDMI out, not sure about HDMI in

Mar 11, 2004
No orange or GC indigo colors... cmon

I do find it odd that they're launching start of fall and we're getting spring or summer colors. They should've made it have a soft touch sleeve skin and then release a bunch of them in more colors.

Yeah, I personally dislike just about everything about the joy cons (feel, button layout, size, quality). They're an interesting idea that I think might would work for like a phone where you're really strapped for size and portability matters a lot. But otherwise I find them to be overpriced, overcomplicated, a bit cramped and uncomfortable - which I can overlook for a full portable but the Switch has always felt awkward for a portable to me, and just not great controllers. The Pro one isn't all that great I don't think either. Thankfully there's a lot of options for other controllers to use (although seems like there's always some aspect that keeps them from being top notch).

Yeah, no output/docking it seems. Which is a bit of a shame that it can't use the dock at all (even if it meant no higher quality output).

Wow! Didn't know there was a lite version of Switch. I should save money before Christmas.

Might wanna buy one ASAP as I have a hunch they might be hard to come by. I'm also curious if they'll be hit by the tariffs so prices might be in limbo some.

No HDMI out, not sure about HDMI in

I don't think even the normal switch/dock has HDMI input, but yeah there's no chance the Lite has one. Personally I wish more devices had the ability to do input as well as output, but I wouldn't expect one on a dedicated portable like this.

Reactions: JJChicken