Nintendo sued, they stole pokemon from some Uri guy

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Pokemon is under attack again. Nintendo is being sued by Uri Geller for demonizing his image on unauthorized Pokemon Cards. The lawsuit demands that Nintendo cease using Geller as a character on Pokemon cards and pay substantial general and punitive damages. Geller stated, " Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokemon character. I want to tell the world before the start of the holidayseason that I have nothing whatsoever to do with these violent characters." (PRNewsFoto)
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/search/search2?f=PRN/prnpub&p1=20001101-LAW106&redir=oneupframe&doc=PRN/prnphotos/docs/014/844
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/001101/ca_pokemon.html

Hope they ban it :)

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
what? they have actual human beings in those shows? I thought it was just pikachus nuking each other.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
dude, Pokemon got their ideas from Digimon in the first place, Digimon should be the one that's sueing...

so did ALL THOSE POWER RANGERS variants... (are they like 6-7 of them in japan)

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Did Digimon come first or did Pokemon? My little cousins liked Pokemon but now Digimon so I assumed it came in that order.

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
Power Ranger variant? That's the old Japanese sentai idea that surfaced many many moons ago. IN JAPAN.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I agree with cgclausen, seems like he is suing because of those friggin circles on his book over his face and the circles on that card. Is the name the same? This guy should've known before they printed the cards, I mean, he is a psychic!

;)

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
digimon came first, it was originally a tamogotchi type toy with some of the characters that are now in the tvshow.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
goog40: yeah, there is a pokemon with psychic powers that holds spoons in its hands. The Japanese name for the pokemon, when pronounced aloud, sounds like "Evil Geller". Also, Uri Geller is famous for the spoon-bending trick.

Sykus

Oct 13, 1999
i hope you're not trying to say that power rangers isn't a ripoff itself. they ripped off Voltron, which remains infinitely superior

Tateman1

Mar 19, 2000
Voltron was the greatest! The Lion Voltron was better than the car voltron. But then Transformers topped them all! :)

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000
Yo_Ma-Ma: I disagree. having met Uri recently and knowing him to be a nice guy with a career that is going well I don't think he did this because he's in "loserdom"

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
voltron was the bomb :)
i was always fascinated by the car voltron for some reason even though i liked the lion one better
i just bought both toys last month misb

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Does anyone have the high-res pictures from that site? I can't see the pokemon card picture well enough to make an opinion on this.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Here's a little better picture of the card.

Somethingwitty, I'm glad to hear Uri's career is going well. I do not really understand the reason for the lawsuit, though I'm not denying there is any similarity/correlation between Uri and the Kadabra character, I don't see any evil purpose to it. It could be the lawyer needed a career boost, as opposed to Uri himself.

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000
Yo_Ma-Ma: looking back, my post does not appear to have much substance. My basic feeling here is that although I can not understand the lawsuit either (though I havent seen the cards) it is nice to see an individual take on a company, after all the stories we've heard/seen where the company jumps at a defenseless individual such as a website owner.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Geller is a joke :disgust: His 'spoon' tricks and other 'mind' power tricks were proven to be fake on 20/20 or 60 minutes in the 80's. He's probabably sueing because a character in the pokemon cartoon does illusions or has 'psychic' powers.

Cheers,
Aquaman