Nintendo Revolution's "Downloadable Past N Games" are 100% FREE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperToilet

Banned
May 17, 2005
Nintendo doesn't own Rare (and never did) but some titles, like Donkey Kong 64, were developed by Rare and still published by Nintendo. The wording of that link isn't clear though, it says Nintendo "created" titles, that may actually leave things like SSB out because although big N published that one, it was developed by HAL. No wait, Nintendo owns HAL, but its not an "all-Nintendo" title such as Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64, we'll all know soon enough I suppose.

Originally posted by: mwmorph
hehe looks like a xbox360 and a revolution for me then.
Exactly. I'm getting the 360 cause MS is taking Live in a whole new direction, and the Revolution because of 1. All the 1st party Nintendo games I want, ah, the glory days of kicking ass in Super Mario Kart 2. Apparantly the new controller is OMGOMGAWESOME. All the PS3 seems to be is another "d00d teh emotion engine will pwn all PCs, it will r0xx0r all your box3n", just substitute EE with Cell.
http://playstationana.ytmnd.com/

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I never bought an X-Box this time around...but chances are good that I'll be buying all 3 new systems. The Revolution for sure, but as for the next one...I guess I'll wait and see.

elmer92413

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: SuperToilet
Nintendo doesn't own Rare (and never did) but some titles, like Donkey Kong 64, were developed by Rare and still published by Nintendo.

They owned 49% of Rare...

MoPHo

Platinum Member
Dec 16, 2003
yea but the catch is you probably have to do it over a 56k phone line...

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
Those games will probably suck cock. Nothing that I can't already play right now on an SNES emulator.

We have an old SNES and N64 that is collecting dust.

It would be a neater trick if Nintendo can come out with blockbuster new games that can take on Microsoft's best.

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
what would totally rule is if they implemented multiplayer into old school games.

Rampage for NES multiplayer? Oh you know it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
The moves of a desperate company about to enter desperate times.
QFT!!! Who the heck buys a next gen console for old games? Granted, I stayed with Sony because the PS2 would play the PS games. But I can count the number of times I played my PS games on one hand.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000

Either flamebait or the words of an ignorant troll. See aves2k's post for just one example of how you're wrong.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: EpsiIon

Either flamebait or the words of an ignorant troll. See aves2k's post for just one example of how you're wrong.

Yeah, lots of people are saying the same thing.
I don't see any reason for them to get out of the console business when they're still making money.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: EpsiIon

Their handheld units are the only thing they have going, or did you miss the paragraph about the gamecube?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: aves2k

Things are looking bleak.

Sales of the DS. The GC is a failure.

The N will never top MS or Sony with their kiddie attitude in console gaming. They have a strong grip on the handheld market but seem out of touch with reality on actual consoles.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

Oh noes!!!!!! Nintendo is doomed!!!!!

Anyhow, a great read for you stupid trolling fanboys or just ignorant about Nintendo's success - Text

And now moving on to the controller, funny fan made Revolution controller

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
I have a Gamecube right now, and to be honest with you I will probably sell it when the Nintendo console comes out, along with all its games. I want to play new games.

I'm probably going to end up buying the Nintendo console, but I'll get it b/c of the same reason that I got the GC: it's cheap. :(

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

The N will never top MS or Sony with their kiddie attitude in console gaming. They have a strong grip on the handheld market but seem out of touch with reality on actual consoles.

Is the XBox a success, what with it's nearly two billion dollar loss per year since launch?

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
The Revolution is a definite for me. I won't touch the others until after the first price cut at least.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
if you folks read the rest of the thread, you'll realize that this is purely speculation and that the original source was misinterpreted

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002

Well Gamecube sold the second most behind the PS2 (more sales worldwide than Xbox). Nintendo also has a lot top-selling games in Windwaker, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Mario Kart: DD, Resident Evil 4, etc. Also have another Zelda coming at the end of the year.

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
Nintendo sold more games per GC sold than MS or Sony did for their systems. Software sales is where money is made.

I don't think Nintendo is losing money on each console sold like Sony and Microsoft are (or were, im not sure if they've lowered costs enough).

I wouldn't describe GC as a failure.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: tallest1
if you folks read the rest of the thread, you'll realize that this is purely speculation and that the original source was misinterpreted

Yep, the services to get the games will be free...like the free basic Xbox Live tier that MS plans. Doesn't mean the games themselves are going to be free.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001

I guess being more successful than XBox is considered a failure :confused: