Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Guess what? If XBOX 360 and PS3 packages are selling for $300+ and Nintendo Revolution is under $200, with a library of free downloadable games...some parents might go for Nintendo.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Guess what? If XBOX 360 and PS3 packages are selling for $300+ and Nintendo Revolution is under $200, with a library of free downloadable games...some parents might go for Nintendo.

No word yet on if the older games are free downloads. Xbox is going to offer up something similar though with its Xbox Live! Arcade.

I do agree with you on the price points though.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
actually, if anyone falls its most likely to be sony. sony isn't making money on any division but ps. ps is keeping the whole thing afloat. they don't have the financial resources to take massive losses on their console operations like ms does. nintendo is probably making the highest percentage profit of any of the 3. they'll probably continue that trend.

even if the games were a flat monthy fee it'd be incredible. many of those old NES and SNES games simply cannot be beat. $20 a month for a huge library of incredible games is way less expensive than buying games for $50.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
actually, if anyone falls its most likely to be sony. sony isn't making money on any division but ps. ps is keeping the whole thing afloat. they don't have the financial resources to take massive losses on their console operations like ms does. nintendo is probably making the highest percentage profit of any of the 3. they'll probably continue that trend.

even if the games were a flat monthy fee it'd be incredible. many of those old NES and SNES games simply cannot be beat. $20 a month for a huge library of incredible games is way less expensive than buying games for $50.

wth?

I read Sony had doubled their profits?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042803sony_salesdown.asp

They have lots of division. Some will make a lost and some will make lots of money. At the bottom line is net profit and from that article they had nearly doubled net profit! Seems good enough for me.

I'm sure they aren't going anywhere soon with $1.5Bn profits this year, but MS could lose much more then Sony and stay afloat though...

Koing

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Also it's worth mentioning that Nintendo is still the second largest console video game company in terms of profits. Sony is first. Microsoft's console division has had a cumulative net loss of $3.5 billion since XBOX launched.

If you're Nintendo and you're still making a billion dollars a year in profits, why stop now?

BTW, their cash reserves are somewhere between $7-$10 Billion USD.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Yeah I think no one will fall flat on their faces. I think its going to pretty much stay the same as it is now. PS3 up ontop. GC second and Xbox last.

Xbox can take it though since they are microsoft and can keep up.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
sony isn't making money on any division but ps. ps is keeping the whole thing afloat. they don't have the financial resources to take massive losses on their console operations like ms does.

Really? I thought other Sony's divisions were more profitable than the gaming division. And can MS afford to still continue to lose money on each console sale with the 360?

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I think that in the end Nintendo will survive the next round and one of the two giants will fall.

If Nintendo doesn't fall, I don't think any of the three will fall. Nintendo is in the weakest position coming off of this current-gen and doesn't have the broad financial backing that the Playstation and Xbox has. It would literally take Sony or MS as a whole taking a stupendous financial hit for the Playstation or Xbox to fall.

Nintendo wont fall. Their handhelds bring in loads and loads of profits. And while the PSP is successful it has NOT put a dent into Nintendos handheld sales.

Definitely agree with that. Just playing off of Fingolfin saying that Nintendo will survive. It would take some sort of major upheaval for MS, Sony, or Nintendo to back out of the console market. Nobody is in the same position that Sega was in with the Dreamcast.

I don't have figures but I keep reading that Nintendo has some of the largest cash reserves of any company, only MS and a few others have more liquid assets. They make a TON of money because they don't sell hardware at a loss and heavily market first-party games.

As for the specs I keep hearing that the revolution will have 2-3 2.5-3.2ghz processors in it as well as the ATI 520 single or dual-core card. Like the other two systems, these cores are being designed by IBM. Man, IBM must love working on all three console processors... they are probably laughing all the way to the bank!

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
sony isn't making money on any division but ps. ps is keeping the whole thing afloat. they don't have the financial resources to take massive losses on their console operations like ms does.

Really? I thought other Sony's divisions were more profitable than the gaming division. And can MS afford to still continue to lose money on each console sale with the 360?

MS is doing the 360 differently from the original Xbox. MS pretty much owns the licences to all the 360 hardware which gives them a better stance in negotiating prices for manufacturing. With the original Xbox, Nvidia and Intel own the majority of the licenses and MS got hosed as a result. That's why Nvidia and MS were at each others throats for a while because Nvidia was keeping the prices high on the parts they were supplying.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Spike
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I think that in the end Nintendo will survive the next round and one of the two giants will fall.

If Nintendo doesn't fall, I don't think any of the three will fall. Nintendo is in the weakest position coming off of this current-gen and doesn't have the broad financial backing that the Playstation and Xbox has. It would literally take Sony or MS as a whole taking a stupendous financial hit for the Playstation or Xbox to fall.

Nintendo wont fall. Their handhelds bring in loads and loads of profits. And while the PSP is successful it has NOT put a dent into Nintendos handheld sales.

Definitely agree with that. Just playing off of Fingolfin saying that Nintendo will survive. It would take some sort of major upheaval for MS, Sony, or Nintendo to back out of the console market. Nobody is in the same position that Sega was in with the Dreamcast.

I don't have figures but I keep reading that Nintendo has some of the largest cash reserves of any company, only MS and a few others have more liquid assets. They make a TON of money because they don't sell hardware at a loss and heavily market first-party games.

As for the specs I keep hearing that the revolution will have 2-3 2.5-3.2ghz processors in it as well as the ATI 520 single or dual-core card. Like the other two systems, these cores are being designed by IBM. Man, IBM must love working on all three console processors... they are probably laughing all the way to the bank!

I think it's great that IBM and ATI are supplying for XBOX and Nintendo; it should make cross-platform ports a breeze.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Koing
wth?

I read Sony had doubled their profits?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042803sony_salesdown.asp

They have lots of division. Some will make a lost and some will make lots of money. At the bottom line is net profit and from that article they had nearly doubled net profit! Seems good enough for me.

I'm sure they aren't going anywhere soon with $1.5Bn profits this year, but MS could lose much more then Sony and stay afloat though...

Koing

well that sure is a change from the previous couple of years where only the ps was making money.

and they really only have 750 million in profits this year. there was a one time restructuring charge in there, according to that snippet.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
I see ElFenix. Net profit is net profit even if they have to sack 100000000x people :p

Koing

piroroadkill

Sep 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Otaking
Ikaruga, anyone?

Ikaruga is originally a Dreamcast game. I have it on the Dreamcast.

I'm a a Dreamcast fanboy. I've just bought my 4th. Yes, FOURTH Dreamcast. I don't think it's techincally possible to have enough Dreamcasts or Dreamcast games. I can't get enough of that little baby ;)

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: piroroadkill
Originally posted by: Otaking
Ikaruga, anyone?

Ikaruga is originally a Dreamcast game. I have it on the Dreamcast.

I'm a a Dreamcast fanboy. I've just bought my 4th. Yes, FOURTH Dreamcast. I don't think it's techincally possible to have enough Dreamcasts or Dreamcast games. I can't get enough of that little baby ;)

My friend loves Shenmue on his DC.

Koing

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Pretty unfortunate if the performance estimates are true. People buy electronics because they are cool and/or popular. Any technology deemed "obsolete" will not sell. Teenagers will buy what their friends have.

edit: When is Nintendo's conference supposed to begin?

That logic fails when one considers the PS2.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sparkyclarky
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Pretty unfortunate if the performance estimates are true. People buy electronics because they are cool and/or popular. Any technology deemed "obsolete" will not sell. Teenagers will buy what their friends have.

edit: When is Nintendo's conference supposed to begin?

That logic fails when one considers the PS2.
If Revolution is only 2-3 times faster than the GameCube, then the performance difference between it and the competition will be much larger than the PS2 and GC or Xbox.

More importantly, Sony had tremendous momentum going into the current generation. Nintendo hasn't even a shred of momentum from the GameCube.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Ok, i just watched the entire 2 hour press confrence for the ps3.

I think they will come out ontop again. Dont flame me..i know its a long way off and no one knows..but just watch the entire thing..that they there S*%t together

SirPappy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by: chrisms
I don't think Nintendo's console will be a success. A lot of this is about product recognition, and after the N64 and Gamecube I think Nintendo is looked at as a loser. Microsoft has a chance this round to be #1, especially because they seem to have a one year head start on Sony and an aggressive marketing strategy.

With that said, that pic sucks. But the console doesn't look bad.

I wouldnt bet on it. I,ve been watching the E3/05 coverage on G4/TECH-TV, and from the looks of it,PS3 is going to own XBOX. (nintindo who?)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: sleepmachine
pic
some details
E3 2005: Revolution Details Emerge
Two-to-three more times powerful than GameCube.
by Matt Casamassina

May 17, 2005 - New details regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, have started to sprinkle onto the Internet. The machine, which will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 2005 show on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, will sport a slick, black design and a front blue light.

Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies.
By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.
basically right there nintendo is admitting it fvcked up badly, and that its console is substancially weaker than the others...
god you people really piss me off sometimes

IT DOESNT FVCKING MATTER how poerverfull these things are on paper,

so what if the xbox 2 and ps3 are 20x more powerfull, if they only get used to 10% of their potential its also a waste

everyone bitched about the GC, and the GC IMO was pretty damn awsome on all fronts, even the funky controller worked

and jeasus christ people graphicicial power is NOT the be all and end all of a game/gameing machine,

if a game looks amazing and plays like sh!t then the game = SH!T
I really love how most of you "gamesr" stopped caring about the gameplay/story and other non graphicial elements when it comes to a game

fact is that games that are almost 10 years old that came out on the SNES, which by todays standards lool like they were drawn by a retarted monkey are actually MORE fun to play then just about anything out today
You're right. I'm actually thinking of getting both X360 and NRev. Not that I have anything against PS3, but I only need one system, and XBox 360 comes out first and comes out at Christmas which is when I can justify getting one from family!

My thinking is that the Revolution will be last out the gate, and will come at a substantially lower price for the hardware compared to X360 and PS3--both because it uses less tech/probably cheaper to produce and in order to generate sales against other consoles in the market longer.

I figure I'll use an XBox for all the true next-gen games, and the NRev gives me access to the entire back catalog of Nintendo titles.

Any idea if 3rd-party peripherals/controllers will work across consoles? They all have USB 2.0 ports so I'm hoping the answer is yes (though sadly the wireless controller interfaces are all different :()

SirPappy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by: RadioHead84
Ok, i just watched the entire 2 hour press confrence for the ps3.

I think they will come out ontop again. Dont flame me..i know its a long way off and no one knows..but just watch the entire thing..that they there S*%t together

i saw the same thing
(G4/TECH-TV?)

PS3 is going to own. :)

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
I just watched the xbox live confrence and i have to say..yeah..ps3 looks lke it will win. In the first 30 mins of the confrence all they talked about were xbox live..which most of the features were either already in the first one...or arnt that amazing. The only thing that seemd nice about the xbox was the ability to play music, watch tv, and connect to the computer. The Ps3 confrence focused a lot mor eon what the system could do graphic wise...what games were going to look like...with good demos.

The xbox confrence seemed more like...Hey..Look at us..we have flashy things!

Nick5324

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
Hmm, i think the nintendo is the best looking of all three, followed by xbox 360. However, i'm not getting it b/c it is a nice looking box. While i'm leaning towards the 360, i'm going to wait until after the PS3 is out, and probably until the first price drop hits, before i decide between 360 and PS3.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko
You guys are idiots. Why do you buy into all the 2-3x and 15-35x sh!t? Does anyone remember when this generation came out? Sony and MS stated all these theoretical numbers, like 500 trillion polys/sec, nintendo posted real numbers that were substantially less, and it ended up right up there in performance.

We'll see, the week as just begun.

Exactly. Sony said during their conference that the PS3 CPU is 51 times more powerful than the fastest P4...right...

And the PS2 was capable of "Toy story" graphics....right....

And now PS3 can render spiderman in realtime when it took hours on workstations.....right....

Gotta get past the hype and look as what they can actually put out with the console. Then you will be able to see which is the fastest. My guess is you will find that they are all about as powerful as eachother