Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
This kind of reminds me of the last big three company battle that has absolutely nothing at all to do with electronics... Wal-Mart vs. K-Mart vs. Target. Target is thriving because they made sure to differentiate themselves from both Wal-Mart and K-Mart while K-Mart met it's doom by basically trying to go toe to toe with Wal-Mart. Good luck with that, right?

I love this move by Nintendo. If they pull it off correctly they will have a console that launches at about half the price of the others while also boasting some of the most important/best titles in all of gaming potentially available for download.

I think that in the end Nintendo will survive the next round and one of the two giants will fall.

Not really a valid comparison. MS is the 800lb gorilla of the group, but is in second, with nintendo in third. Nintend is doing something different, as always, while MS and Sony are going head to head. My prediction. MS makes serious gains on Sony this generation. It could be quite possible MS outsells Sony in the US, but Sony outsells MS worldwide.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
I think that in the end Nintendo will survive the next round and one of the two giants will fall.

If Nintendo doesn't fall, I don't think any of the three will fall. Nintendo is in the weakest position coming off of this current-gen and doesn't have the broad financial backing that the Playstation and Xbox has. It would literally take Sony or MS as a whole taking a stupendous financial hit for the Playstation or Xbox to fall.

Nintendo wont fall. Their handhelds bring in loads and loads of profits. And while the PSP is successful it has NOT put a dent into Nintendos handheld sales.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Nintendo is using real numbers. MS and Sony are trying to outhype eachother with bogus numbers.

In all likelyhood though the PS3 will be marginally faster than the Xbox 360, which will be marginally faster than the Revolution. All in all, the difference will be negliable and most wont notice a difference.
MS and Sony's numbers are bogus, but from the whole dialogue and the very obvious exclusion of hard specs I'd say that Nintendo will likely be significantly less powerful... Also, the fom factor is very, very tight. It's going to be difficult to manage the heat of top-end components in a form factor that small. They'll probably come in with a console that's head and shoulders above current-gen but not at 360/PS3 levels.

...or they might have aces in their hands and don't want to show it yet. Remember launch is still about a year away.

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
Originally posted by: middlehead
GCN games won't be downloadable, they'll play in the cd slot. That part is backwards compatability.

But how can a 8cm disk work in a slot loaded drive????

from the image of the system, it looks like a tray

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

If Nintendo doesn't fall, I don't think any of the three will fall. Nintendo is in the weakest position coming off of this current-gen and doesn't have the broad financial backing that the Playstation and Xbox has. It would literally take Sony or MS as a whole taking a stupendous financial hit for the Playstation or Xbox to fall.

Nintendo wont fall. Their handhelds bring in loads and loads of profits. And while the PSP is successful it has NOT put a dent into Nintendos handheld sales.

Definitely agree with that. Just playing off of Fingolfin saying that Nintendo will survive. It would take some sort of major upheaval for MS, Sony, or Nintendo to back out of the console market. Nobody is in the same position that Sega was in with the Dreamcast.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001

have some of you played the gameboy advance games? They're friggin fun as hell. And the thing is tiny!! I hate the PSP because If I ever owned one, i'd freak out trying to hold it so I won't mar the damn thing, or even put fingerprints on it. GBA feels more durable, comfortable, more portable, and the games are friggin fun as hell.

also, I agree w/ the comment a few posts above about this time of year!

New info about next gen coming out, E3, and Star Wars!!!! YES YES!!

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Seen RE4? It looks as good as anything on the 'Box, so the GC wasn't underpowered

Uh, you are fully aware the vast majority of RE4's graphics are PRErendered right? Anyone could do that if they wish, it requires a massive amount of time and money.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Seen RE4? It looks as good as anything on the 'Box, so the GC wasn't underpowered

Uh, you are fully aware the vast majority of RE4's graphics are PRErendered right? Anyone could do that if they wish, it requires a massive amount of time and money.

Actually, RE4 is fully 3D unlike the previous RE titles. Edit: Though I'm sure some of the background scenery is static, but that's true of most games.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
"two to three times as powerful as the GC" is an embarrassment. That system came out what, almost 5 years ago now?

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Ikonomi

Actually, RE4 is fully 3D unlike the previous RE titles. Edit: Though I'm sure some of the background scenery is static, but that's true of most games.

You dont understand. Yes RE is 3D, and almost the entire game is pre-rendered CGI. And no, most games do NOT used pre-rendered CGI for ingame backgrounds and enviornment. Its not cost effective or efficent use of time.

The Game cube, or Xbox for that matter, could NOT handle everything in RE4 in real time.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
You dont understand. Yes RE is 3D, and almost the entire game is pre-rendered CGI. And no, most games do NOT used pre-rendered CGI for ingame backgrounds and enviornment. Its not cost effective or efficent use of time.

The Game cube, or Xbox for that matter, could NOT handle RE4 in real time.
Doesn't every game in the RE series use static viewpoints? If it does, then it's almost certainly pre-rendered; I haven't played the game so I can't comment beyond this.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle

Doesn't every game in the RE series use static viewpoints? If it does, then it's almost certainly pre-rendered; I haven't played the game so I can't comment beyond this.

It IS pre-rendered, which is why it looks so good.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Ikonomi

Maybe you could clarify which parts are prerendered, because I think you're thinking of the other RE games with 3D characters on top of static backgrounds. I meant that if anything in RE4 is prerendered it's at some distance in the background, like the faraway landscape or the sky in most 3D games.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

The Game cube, or Xbox for that matter, could NOT handle everything in RE4 in real time.
Wrong

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: werk

Wrong

That's what I'm sayin'...

"Takes place in full 3D"

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

Wrong

Hmmm I guess I was wrong. I could have sworn I read somewhere they were pre-rendered....

Hottie

Nov 29, 2002
Dam, I will be ordering one if they allow me to download older games. free or not. I would LOVE to play some 10 yrs old games.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: toekramp
GCN games won't be downloadable, they'll play in the cd slot. That part is backwards compatability.

No, it's definitely a slot loading drive. But there is that smaller cover below the DVD drive. So who knows, we will find out in the next couple of days.

Nintendo Revolution

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Summary of what was learned about the Nintendo Revolution:

# Release is sometime in 2006.
# Prototype shown is larger than final unit.
# Nintendo is still determining final colors for the console.
# All-Access Gaming, which refers to backwards compatibility to 20 years of Nintendo games, NES, SNES, N64. We don?t know particulars of how it?ll be accessed or what, if any, the cost structure might be.
# Downloadable to 512MB of flash memory.
# SD memory card slot.
# Wireless controllers.
# Two USB 2.0 ports.
# Built-in WiFi.
# WiFi used to interface with the DS.
# DS likely to enhance future games.
# Self-loading optical drive that will play 12cm Revolution discs and smaller GameCube discs
# Self-contained attachment for playing media content, including DVDs.
# No controller was shown. So even though the box looks a lot like the one leaked over the weekend, the accompanying controllers were not presented. So was it a leak, or a really good guess?

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Summary of what was learned about the Nintendo Revolution:

# Release is sometime in 2006.
# Prototype shown is larger than final unit.
# Nintendo is still determining final colors for the console.
# All-Access Gaming, which refers to backwards compatibility to 20 years of Nintendo games, NES, SNES, N64. We don?t know particulars of how it?ll be accessed or what, if any, the cost structure might be.
# Downloadable to 512MB of flash memory.
# SD memory card slot.
# Wireless controllers.
# Two USB 2.0 ports.
# Built-in WiFi.
# WiFi used to interface with the DS.
# DS likely to enhance future games.
# Self-loading optical drive that will play 12cm Revolution discs and smaller GameCube discs
# Self-contained attachment for playing media content, including DVDs.
# No controller was shown. So even though the box looks a lot like the one leaked over the weekend, the accompanying controllers were not presented. So was it a leak, or a really good guess?

Good summary. :thumbsup:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

have some of you played the gameboy advance games? They're friggin fun as hell. And the thing is tiny!! I hate the PSP because If I ever owned one, i'd freak out trying to hold it so I won't mar the damn thing, or even put fingerprints on it. GBA feels more durable, comfortable, more portable, and the games are friggin fun as hell.

also, I agree w/ the comment a few posts above about this time of year!

New info about next gen coming out, E3, and Star Wars!!!! YES YES!!

I wrote that message in a hurry so I understand why I was misunderstood. 'Fall' doesn't necessarily equate to an exit from the console market. If MS or Sony were to 'fall' it would be more along the lines of Nintendo from SNES --> N64 --> GC. I just don't see how these two beasts can continue to compete with products that are going to lose them massive amounts of money on the front end. Nintendo will thrive simply because their price point will allow them to make money on unit sales a lot faster than MS and/or Sony, depending upon which of the two has struggling initial sales. Then again it is entirely possible that neither has initial struggling sales due to the gap between release dates.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Wrong

Hmmm I guess I was wrong. I could have sworn I read somewhere they were pre-rendered....

Yup. Proof that RE4 looks absolutely amazing, and proof that despite 'weaker' hardware, it looks as good or better than anything on Xbox.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: toekramp

No, it's definitely a slot loading drive. But there is that smaller cover below the DVD drive. So who knows, we will find out in the next couple of days.

Nintendo Revolution

Okay, the cover is for controller and memory cards - Text

dcdude

May 8, 2005
RE4 is NOT prerendered to whoever thought it was. the previous games were, but NOT re4