Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.

Now there's an e-penis length contest if I ever heard one...

Yeah, that's a complete crock of sh!t.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
I thought the Dreamcast turned out to be a better performer than expected. I remember when it came out, the specs for the PS2 dwarfed the specs for the DC. But play Soul Caliber and tell me that the DC is weak.

For sure. Soul Calibur has better graphics than most PS2 games and it came out in 1998. That Dreamcast was a beast. Every PS2 game has more aliasing than Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. It was stupid ignorant fvcks who decided to wait for that piece of trash PS2 instead of getting almost 2 years of awesome gaming on the DC before PS2 had even one decent game to talk about.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Originally posted by: SouthPaW1227
Originally posted by: CptObvious
I think Nintendo might actually be making a smart move by going with a less powerful system. While Sony and MS are probably going to price their systems at $300-400, Nintendo could reach the budget-conscious market with a $200 console (just guessing at a price).

Plus, the majority of consumers don't have HDTVs and won't for a few years. Heck, people are still buying RF adapters to connect their XBoxes and PS2's to their crummy TVs. A lot of that processing power to game in HD is just wasted for a lot of consumers.

A very wise post all-around.

They already have removed component out (or their digtal out which is what the component cable connects to). However they have estimated that only 2% of GC owners actually use the component out and so have stated that they will replace the console with one with a digital out for those customers who use component out. I use component out at 480p and it looks sweet. Many reviews say that that GC 480p looks better than the 480p out of any other console.

Of course, this is the same angle Nintendo seems to be going for with the GC. They aggressively reduced the price a while back (a couple times, I think), and they are supposedly removing the component output on the next hardware revision.

But that leaves diehard Nintendo fans like me with a problem: How can I support a company who doesn't support my gaming habits? I like HD. And I really, really want to see Nintendo hit one out of the park the next time around.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: Queasy
Gamespot Pics of the Nintendo Revolution.

Geez that is small. I'd probably mistake it for one of my old modems if I didn't know what I was looking at already.

Pretty slick. Moms and wives who buy Bose speakers are gonna love that one!

Usually guys who think they are "audiophiles" buy Bose speakers because they actually think they are the best. If a guy knew how much Bose sucks and let his wife buy Bose speakers then he's a pvssy and he deserves to listen to that crap. I'd never let my (future) wife buy Bose speakers, and if she did they would go right back to the store. Then again no sane person looks at my system and tries to buy audio for me or my home.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: piroroadkill
Originally posted by: Otaking
Ikaruga, anyone?

Ikaruga is originally a Dreamcast game. I have it on the Dreamcast.

I'm a a Dreamcast fanboy. I've just bought my 4th. Yes, FOURTH Dreamcast. I don't think it's techincally possible to have enough Dreamcasts or Dreamcast games. I can't get enough of that little baby ;)

Ha ha. I have one sealed in the box and it's a made in Japan unit. It will never be used. I want to get a backup Dreamcast for my own use though. Where do you get good condition Dreamcasts? If I could a new in box one I would. I can't get enough of that little baby either. I'm doing a little MSR and SA2 right now. I want to get some Seaman, JGR and SOA in soon while my Xbox, PS2 and even GC (unfortunately for now) collect dust.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Nintendo game library should be irrelevant IMO. I can download any NES/SNES/N64 roms and play them in my pc. Hell I can do that with a Xbox! I wouldnt pay nintendo for that privelage. I'm more interested in what kind of new launch games they're coming with ie. Rogue Squadron (not remakes).

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: piroroadkill
Originally posted by: Otaking
Ikaruga, anyone?

Ikaruga is originally a Dreamcast game. I have it on the Dreamcast.

I'm a a Dreamcast fanboy. I've just bought my 4th. Yes, FOURTH Dreamcast. I don't think it's techincally possible to have enough Dreamcasts or Dreamcast games. I can't get enough of that little baby ;)

My friend loves Shenmue on his DC.

Koing

I think Shenmue as a game is the only game that I consider an absolute masterpiece. You cannot imagine the care and effort that went into making that game. No game ever has had the capability to actually transport you to another place. Every little detail was careful considered. Even the magic weather effects were simply unreal. The little things like when you go into the dining room and have a flashback of your dead father telling you to eat your vegetables because the farmers that grew those vegetables break their backs harvesting it are just unreal. The game connects with you on an emotional level that only the best movies can. There are parts in the game that cam move you to tears and other parts that incite anger bordering on rage. There's even a part in the game where the foreman you work for even advises you to find a girl and settle down and does it with real concern. This game alone has made me a Sega fan for life. Only Sega could have had the dedication to spend 8 years developing and refining this game and making it so perfect. Everybody else just puts some passable crap through renederware and that's it. You cannot imagine the amount of thought that went into this game...and the music. Absolutely unforgettable.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: RadioHead84
I just watched the xbox live confrence and i have to say..yeah..ps3 looks lke it will win. In the first 30 mins of the confrence all they talked about were xbox live..which most of the features were either already in the first one...or arnt that amazing. The only thing that seemd nice about the xbox was the ability to play music, watch tv, and connect to the computer. The Ps3 confrence focused a lot mor eon what the system could do graphic wise...what games were going to look like...with good demos.

The xbox confrence seemed more like...Hey..Look at us..we have flashy things!

Sorry, but I'm pissed at the PS3 right now. All their demos were pre-rendered CGI with the exception of the Unreal demo. This just more of the same crap they did with hyping the PS2's "Toy Story" graphics. I'll make a judgement on the PS3 when they start showing actual people playing actual games on it.

I liked the Xbox360 because they are gearing it even more towards online play and having an online community. PS3 can't match that right now and Sony still has no details on online play. Even then, the games they are running at E3 are running on late Alpha kits. They are going to end up looking much better than what they are currently showing.

The next Zelda game was playable after the Revolution press conference and looked pretty nice. I'm going to have to do the same with the Revolution as I did with the PS3 and reserve judgement until I see more.

Even that had aliasing.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: rleemhui
http://onlynintendorevolution.blogspot.com/

I guess this guy has been right about everything he has ever said about the revolution and a lot of people have found clues hinting at tomorrow being a big day. If that doesn't get you guys hyped I don't know what will.

OMG!! If this guy is right it will be unreal. Just the place where he said that Sega is developing games that will take advantage of ALL features of the controller is enough to get me going.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The blogger guy has some interesting points.

Are the 12 cm discs going to be DVDs?

Where are the solid performance specs on Broadway and Hollywood?

Why is Nintendo being so secretive about their new controller (probably so Microsoft and Sony won't be able to copy it straight-away)?

I'm getting anxious about tomorrow now. And is Retro really developing a true FPS for Revolution? Retro kicks ass, BTW. Metroid Prime was awesome.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Why is Nintendo being so secretive about their new controller (probably so Microsoft and Sony won't be able to copy it straight-away)?

I'm getting anxious about tomorrow now. And is Retro really developing a true FPS for Revolution? Retro kicks ass, BTW. Metroid Prime was awesome.

i doubt anybody would copy any controller....besides xbox is way too far along to change theirs

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

i doubt anybody would copy any controller....besides xbox is way too far along to change theirs

Not copy controllers, but copy ideas. N64 launched with an analog joystick, and PSOne came out with Dual-Analogs a little later. The N64 Rumble Pack led to the "Dual Shock" Sony controller. First console maker with a first-party wireless controller (Wavebird), and now every console maker is including wireless controllers standard.

Their hardware design is consistently the most efficient, usable, and innovative. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's new controller has a feature that will be copied by Sony and Microsoft a year from now.

zainali

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2003
sony is once again overhyping their console. i doubt the real world performance would be what they say it would. remember ps2 and toy story graphics.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002

Not copy controllers, but copy ideas. N64 launched with an analog joystick, and PSOne came out with Dual-Analogs a little later. The N64 Rumble Pack led to the "Dual Shock" Sony controller. First console maker with a first-party wireless controller (Wavebird), and now every console maker is including wireless controllers standard.

Their hardware design is consistently the most efficient, usable, and innovative. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's new controller has a feature that will be copied by Sony and Microsoft a year from now.

...and Nintendo stuff never breaks.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
No announcement yet, but I've been searching for solid specs on the Revolution and I can't find them anywhere except here:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8658

They quoted a Chinese website as saying the Revolution will have a quad-core 2.5GHz PowerPC-based CPU from IBM, and a dual-core R520-based GPU from ATI. That seems a bit of a stretch, given the size of the unit, and that they only stated it was 2-3 times a powerful as the Gamecube (if those specs were true, it would be more like 8-10 times the power).

Wahsapa

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SSP
itunes music library should be irrelevant IMO. I can download any mp3 and play them in my pc. Hell I can do that with a Xbox! I wouldnt pay artist for that privelage. I'm more interested in what kind of new music they're coming with ie. Britany Spears (not remakes).

edited for consideration

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: sxr7171

...and Nintendo stuff never breaks.

It's worse than that.

Nintendo:
4-way directional pad
Force feedback
Shoulder buttons

Sony:
Pressure-sensitive buttons
-?

Shortly after Nintendo revealed the N64 controller (long after the N64 itself), Sega released a Saturn controller with an analog thumbstick. So even though it was Nintendo's innovation Sega was first to market. Sony is pretty blantant with their assimilation of Nintendo's engineering. The two-lobed controller design was clearly inspired by the SNES. They also took the idea of two shoulder buttons and doubled it ("two is better") at the expense of ergonomics. When Nintendo revealed the rumble pack, Sony did the same thing again!

The best non-Nintendo controller innovation that I have seen is the Dreamcast VMU, which could have been better if the display was simply built into the controller.

I was really disappointed with the GC controller. It works well, but not for the types of games that I like to play (using the D-Pad). I was really expecting it to have a tilt sensor after Nintendo had released Kirby Tilt-n-Tumble for the Game Boy Color.

SuperStrokey

Golden Member
May 28, 2003
Once I heard that i would be able to get all the old nes, snes, and n64 games on the new gamecube i was sold on it. The very first preorder i see im gonna be getting it. Im hoping that there will be online only games from japan that we never got for the nintendo consoles like teh squaresoft games. I might get one of the other two systems but i am 100% getting the revolution. Plus is anyone not excited about seeing the controllers? I sony is the most cause then they will have something new to copy lol

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Bah, if Nuntendo doesn't support HD this time around, I will never purchase one of their consoles.

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
No announcement yet, but I've been searching for solid specs on the Revolution and I can't find them anywhere except here:

They quoted a Chinese website as saying the Revolution will have a quad-core 2.5GHz PowerPC-based CPU from IBM, and a dual-core R520-based GPU from ATI. That seems a bit of a stretch, given the size of the unit, and that they only stated it was 2-3 times a powerful as the Gamecube (if those specs were true, it would be more like 8-10 times the power).

2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube is the current Xbox. If that's all they can muster, it would be super lame.

If this sh|t debuts for $100 (which is the price at which I acquired my present GameCube), I may buy one.

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: psiu
Yeah, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and was a pretty equal match for the XBOX....35 times more powerful? For freaking what?!?!? I mean, if NASA wanted to use these things that might be nice, (although the shuttles use some pimpin 30 year old computers) but for the games that are gonna come out....no need.

Well, at least for games. Since Sony and MS seem to want this to be the end-all and be-all of home entertainment, they might use a little more of that processing power.

The GC is nowhere near in the same league as the present Xbox.

Play Splinter Cell on Xbox and then play it on the Cube.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterCornell

2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube is the current Xbox. If that's all they can muster, it would be super lame.

If this sh|t debuts for $100 (which is the price at which I acquired my present GameCube), I may buy one.

Wow, that's so completely untrue and ignorant, get your facts straight woman!