Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterCornell
Originally posted by: psiu
Yeah, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and was a pretty equal match for the XBOX....35 times more powerful? For freaking what?!?!? I mean, if NASA wanted to use these things that might be nice, (although the shuttles use some pimpin 30 year old computers) but for the games that are gonna come out....no need.

Well, at least for games. Since Sony and MS seem to want this to be the end-all and be-all of home entertainment, they might use a little more of that processing power.

The GC is nowhere near in the same league as the present Xbox.

Play Splinter Cell on Xbox and then play it on the Cube.
so because the programmer does a sh!tty job it's the hardware's fault?

play resident evil on cube and then play anything else on any platform. cube > all.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: AMDZen
LoL.

Nintendo fan bois make me laugh

Well, explain to me how I'm wrong?

First off, its absolutely ridiculous to say Xbox is 2-3 times as powerful as GC. As stated above, go play Resident Evil 4 and come back. Secondly, how can you make judgements on hardware you know nothing about? You can't.

Next please.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Name 1 cross-platform game that runs better on Gamecube than it does on Xbox.

Based on these specs (and my own gaming experiences): http://member.telpacific.com.au/trat2422/xg.html, I'm not exaggerating when I claim the Xbox is 2-3 times more powerful than the Gamecube.

I own both systems, BTW.

You're comparing apples to oranges, my friend. The XBOX is mostly based on PC hardware. The SNES did things at 3.5 Mhz which a 100Mhz PC could not match.

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Ichinisan
Name 1 cross-platform game that runs better on Gamecube than it does on Xbox.

Based on these specs (and my own gaming experiences): http://member.telpacific.com.au/trat2422/xg.html, I'm not exaggerating when I claim the Xbox is 2-3 times more powerful than the Gamecube.

I own both systems, BTW.

You're comparing apples to oranges, my friend. The XBOX is mostly based on PC hardware. The SNES did things at 3.5 Mhz which a 100Mhz PC could not match.

I posted a whole page of direct comparisions, so don't cherry pick one and say you don't like it based on an SNES to PC comparision. Things like polygons per second and GFLOPs can be compared directly.

I had a Pentium 75 and an SNES, BTW. And there is no way in hell that the SNES was even remotely as powerful as the PC. And I did play some cross platform games for the two such as Doom and Mortal Kombat 3.

In my experience, the Xbox routinely runs cross platform games at a higher frame rate, with more details, and probably at a higher resolution than Gamecube and PS2 do. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say the Xbox has about 2-3 times as much raw CPU and graphical computing power than the Cube does, and maybe several times as much as the PS2. If we all had higher resolution TV's, the difference would be more obvious.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: MisterCornellI don't think it's a stretch at all to say the Xbox has about 2-3 times as much raw CPU and graphical computing power than the Cube does.

I'm not denying the fact the XBox is technically superior to the GC and PS2, but 2-3x is a stretching it way too far. I would only give the XBox a 20-25% edge.

And comparing titles that are cross platform is not the best comparision, since most games are generally designed ground up on one platform and then ported over to the others. So of course the ground up design of Splinter Cell was better on the XBox than the ported versions to the GC and PS2. If UbiSoft designed the game to fully ulitilize each platform, there wouldn't be the same difference that we see.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
That's why I don't like comparing cross platform games. RE4, Metroid Prime 1&2, Star Wars Rogue Leader easily rivals the best games that the XBox has.

TrueEevil

Jan 16, 2005
I dont know where disscusion lesft off sine im to lazy to look at the last page :p

But nintendo has proven time and time again that they can inovate and still sell units

Anolog stick (n64) Touch screen (Ds) and many more keep nintendo in the game

But they downloading older games sounds awosme... no more emulators :)

The controler remains the point of intrest tho... we'll just have to wait and see

Mildlyamused

May 1, 2005
How in the hell would you be able to play games like star fox 64? :confused: I mean the GC controller has less buttons than the N64 controller os this seems like it's not possible. Unless of course they make game controller adapters that let you hook up the N64 controller, NES and SNES. That way you could download the roms for free because it would be proof you had that console. If they make those games available for free, I would just for that reason buy that console + the fact of new games...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Cornell, that page shows exactly what I'm talking about. 125K polys vs 12. Clearly Nintendo posts real numbers and not theoretical numbers. Also, compare the per-mhz speed of a g4 vs a P3. The G4 smokes it...thus, do you really think a cely(not p3) 733 is gonna badly beat a 485 powerpc chip? I don't think so. Yea, the graphics chip is a little faster, but certainly not enough to make the entire system 2-3x as fast.

You're right, pretty much every cross-platform game runs better on xbox. That's because Gamecube is usually the last system to be ported to, with the least amount of optimization. Gamecube supports 8 effects/cycle. That you need to customize to take advantage of. Look at games designed specifically for Gamecube, they look amazing.

There's no point in this argument. This argument was the big thing to talk about at 2002 E3. Its over, its done with. Fact is at this point you can't make comparisons of Revolution's hardware without knowing anything about it. So just shut your trap and wait.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
aren't the markets essentially differant? all my grown up friends have PS2s and XBoxes. their kids have GCs.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
fcuking christ. the wait for a controller is killing me. it's gonna be haptic i fcuking know it.