Nintendo reveals list of backwards compatible titles that will be available free of charge for Revolution

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Good thing this topic was bumped. Found this scan from Nintendo's UK magazine of possibly the Revolution download lineup.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
idiot fanboy

and emulation is overrated. we've all tried it on the pc. very few of us use it for long. lifes too short to play old games when there are new ones everywhere.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
emulating games on the PC sucks....no matter what console you emulate. Modding the Xbox is a lot of work and costs money. This simplifies things and gives the revolution about 10 times the games available over the other two put together.

No doubt am I a Nintendo fanboy...but there's a reason for that. I've had way more fun on my Nintendo's than I have on any other system. I have had many many many days where me and 3 of my friends are jumping out of our seats laughing and screaming over a game as simple as MarioParty, or Smash Bro's Melee.

Nintendo is the only one with the balls to change things around a little. They have made so many contributions to the gaming industry as far as innovation that we all have adapted to. Microsoft and Sony have been in the industry for not even half the time of Nintendo so they are surely the ones for the job.

The backwards compatability is not the 'Revolution' that nintendo is referring to. I can admit that there are only a few old games that I will play. But does that make it any less cool? Of course not, it extremely convenient and is a great idea whether you will utilize it or not.

It's ok to admit that you are afraid of change; it's human nature. However, I hope you can at least admit that better graphics are not what make games fun. I hope you can admit that it's about time for something new, and that Nintendo is the best candidate for innovation. And I hope you can also admit that there are some really cool ideas out there for this revolution and there is a lot of potential.

If you're going to reply to my posts...how about you actually try to argue one of my points instead of just saying 'fanboy'. I know I'm a fanboy, you don't have to tell me.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Simply because they've been around for the longest doesn't automatically make them the best candidate for innovation. Xbox has done huge things for bringing online into everyday gaming, and adding a HDD to a console was a very smart thing to do as well.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
emulating games on the PC sucks....no matter what console you emulate. Modding the Xbox is a lot of work and costs money. This simplifies things and gives the revolution about 10 times the games available over the other two put together.

I beg to differ. An xbox mod will cost you $50 (harddrive extra) and 20 minutes of your time (basically soldering/connecting wires to solder points).

And what's wrong with emulating on the pc? ZSNES, Visual Boy Advance, and Mame emulate everything almost perfectly except with maybe a minor sound or graphic error. Project64 also emulates almost perfectly provided that you have a gig of ram.

Let's see, last time I checked there were ~100 n64 roms, ~4000 mame roms, and ~300 nes roms.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Queasy
my $$$ is going to the xbox 360 this november no questions asked.

Hope you pre-ordered already. They're already talking shortages.

yea i read that the other day. as soon as there is an official pre-order at EB i'm there.

They should be taking pre-orders already unless their pre-order slots are full. They started the day after the MTV event. I pre-ordered three that day in anticipation of a shortage. :D

Pre-ordering is for suckers. The best place to buy a console on launch day are places that don't do pre-orders, including the plethora of Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, Target, KMart, Sears, etc.

Yes, there will be a shortage, but only if you wait a week after launch to go buy one.

why is it for suckers? why not just have it guaranteed instead of having to go wait in a huge ass line for hours to get a system that you MIGHT not even be guaranteed? i would rather put down $20 or $50 to have it guaranteed on release day.

i waited from 12am until target opened at 8am to get my PS2. my friend and I were number 27 and 28 in line, and the line grew to over 100 by 6am. they ended up only having 30 systems in stock. it would have sucked to be 3 slots behind us huh.

i think ill take my chances w/the preorder.

Because as long as you show up on the first day you are 99% sure to get the game/console you want. Preordering can't be returned (afaik?) and if you find a cheaper deal elsewhere you are screwed.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Missed thread the first time, so thanks for letting me know what my next system will be. :beer:

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Originally posted by: FleshLight

I beg to differ. An xbox mod will cost you $50 (harddrive extra) and 20 minutes of your time (basically soldering/connecting wires to solder points).

And what's wrong with emulating on the pc? ZSNES, Visual Boy Advance, and Mame emulate everything almost perfectly except with maybe a minor sound or graphic error. Project64 also emulates almost perfectly provided that you have a gig of ram.

Let's see, last time I checked there were ~100 n64 roms, ~4000 mame roms, and ~300 nes roms.

Don't forget GameBoy, GBA, SNES, Genesis, etc. The list goes on.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
This topic is obviously for us Nintendo fans, why the hell do non Nintendo fans even bother reading and posting in this topic???? Go troll elsewhere.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I think it's a very cool feature to have on the Revolution. It's a definite nod to gamers who have stuck with Nintendo since the NES.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Simply because they've been around for the longest doesn't automatically make them the best candidate for innovation. Xbox has done huge things for bringing online into everyday gaming, and adding a HDD to a console was a very smart thing to do as well.

Online gaming was done first on the computer, so they didn't innovate anything. All microsoft did was take a computer, strip windows, put a modified TI500 in it and sell it for too much while still using an operating system that relies on directx...which is stupid.

And plus, you can count on one hand the amount of innovative things that both microsoft and sony have done for the gaming industry; Nintendo leads in innovation without question.

I'm pretty confident that the average gamer that will be playing the old games doesn't even own a solder gun; let alone have the ambition or know how to mod their xbox.

PC emulation blows because there are more than just a few glitches, as well as you need a computer as powerful as mine just to play super mario 64 with a good framerate. Oh yeah...and believe it or not some people don't like to break laws or pirate software (god knows I do it at least 10 times a day, but those people do exist).

I'm not saying that the backwards compatability is the coolest thing ever. All I'm saying is that it's pretty cool, and better than emulating or modding the xbox.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: PsharkJF
No mega man games? Out of all those games? Jerks.

I'm pretty sure that EVERY game will be available eventually, that's just the list available at release.....but I could be wrong.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

it so doesn't. in the early days when it was still being perfected with beta emu's everywhere yes it sucked. now its flawless for many of the systems emulated. its just how it works, it takes time to develop the emulators.

psiu

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Over the holiday's went home and bunch of us got together.

Platform of choice? NES.
Games: Duck Hunt and Jeopardy :) Good night of gaming.

The old games still hold up.

My dream game for the Revolution: another Roque Squadron game but with online play...mmmm so tasty...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
not everyone is a l33t h4x0r pir8 and knows/uses emulation. and how are the controls for emulation? last time i checked the emulators will still kinda crappy about controllers (or maybe my controller was crappy, but it wasn't like it was a cheap knockoff, it was a nice logitech usb ps2 gamepad clone). and many console games are better on your tv with 4 friends on your couch than you alone antisocial in your dimly lit computer room.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
ok...so my 1ghz, 128mb ram, 32mb video will be able to play the NES games pretty good, but as soon as you get into 3D it runs at 2 fps.

All I'm saying is that to incorporate 20 years of gaming, through flawless emulation standard on every console is a brilliant idea. And once it comes out I will never emulate a game on my computer again.

Since the console will cost like 300 bucks max, I won't mind spending like 20 bucks for the 10 games I loved back in the day.

Do you guys honestly think that it's a stupid idea and doesn't intrigue you at all? I mean, it's just one of the little things available on the new console but it seems to be everyone focus.

All I'm saying as far as that goes is that it will come standard, and will be better than emulating on your computer, and cheaper than modding your xbox...so in my book that brings it up a few notches.

Including this, all the other features already announced, the features that are possibly going to be integrated, and it being the cheapest console has already got me sold.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: IBdaMac
ok...so my 1ghz, 128mb ram, 32mb video will be able to play the NES games pretty good, but as soon as you get into 3D it runs at 2 fps.

All I'm saying is that to incorporate 20 years of gaming, through flawless emulation standard on every console is a brilliant idea. And once it comes out I will never emulate a game on my computer again.

Since the console will cost like 300 bucks max, I won't mind spending like 20 bucks for the 10 games I loved back in the day.

Do you guys honestly think that it's a stupid idea and doesn't intrigue you at all? I mean, it's just one of the little things available on the new console but it seems to be everyone focus.

All I'm saying as far as that goes is that it will come standard, and will be better than emulating on your computer, and cheaper than modding your xbox...so in my book that brings it up a few notches.

Including this, all the other features already announced, the features that are possibly going to be integrated, and it being the cheapest console has already got me sold.

I can emulate up through the 64 just fine on my PC...wtf are you talking about?

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
not everyone is a l33t h4x0r pir8 and knows/uses emulation. and how are the controls for emulation? last time i checked the emulators will still kinda crappy about controllers (or maybe my controller was crappy, but it wasn't like it was a cheap knockoff, it was a nice logitech usb ps2 gamepad clone). and many console games are better on your tv with 4 friends on your couch than you alone antisocial in your dimly lit computer room.

exactly...who has 4 controllers hooked to their computer with 3 friends sitting around their 19 inch monitor playing mariokart?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: IBdaMac
Originally posted by: ElFenix

exactly...who has 4 controllers hooked to their computer with 3 friends sitting around their 19 inch monitor playing mariokart?

I have 2 controllers hooked up to an old duron system in my living room...play mario kart all the time. Good enough for you?

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
this would be interesting news if you couldn't get every single console game ever made