Nintendo reveals list of backwards compatible titles that will be available free of charge for Revolution

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
So is it confirmed that these games are free? Or are they just available, but possibly with a fee?

Like 2 weeks ago, a VP in Nintendo of America said in an interview that 1st party games would be free while 3rd party games are unknown and are up to them what they want to do. So stories ran rampant about these 221 free games. But a few days ago, Nintendo CEO did some damage control and said that downloaded games will be fee based, but no pricing schemes will be announced yet. So this is where it currently stands.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: purbeast0
seems like form the replies to this thread that most of you guys have never heard of an emulator ...

they've been around for years and years lol.
Hell, the booths in the mall sell emulators to plug into your tv and play a bunch of stupid old NES games.

you know it is a pain in the ass trying to complete your collection of just GBA roms. if there's a utility that let you name thousands of GBA roms correctly, that'd be cool.
Yeah they are pain in the ass, I agree ;)

I just personally thin kbackwards compatibility is for newbs. Spend a few bucks and buy the games that run on your new console. If you want to play the old ones then keep your old system, or better yet enter the third millennium and stop playing those old stupid games. If you can't sit in front of a 10 year old video game and actually enjoy it, you need a pyschiatrist.

FIXED!
A game is a game is a game. There is nothing wrong with playing old games, you still play pacman every once in a while right? I mean I play NES games on my phone and it's still fun. I'm getting this console so bad because I was originally going to buy all three of these consoles but after nintendo has decided to do this, it's going to make my life that much easier and will definately be a selling point. I would buy this console just for this feature, being able to play new games is just a "feature to me.." LOL. This an the PS3 will be my new consoles, I'm barely considering the XBOX 360, maybe I'll get it if they get cheaper.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
Originally posted by: Kenazo
Wow! I think I know what my next system will be.

yup, it's been confirmed that this will be my first nintendo system since the NES....

I think I've actually had every had every system Nintendo released in the US except for the GBA. I even picked up a Virtual Boy with several games for like $20 when they were clearing them out. I still love playing all of the old games I had when I was a kid, and the games I wanted when I was a kid but didn't own. Nowadays I wait until new systems come down in price before I buy them, because I'd rather not blow excessive amounts of money on games. Most of the PC games I buy are at least 3 years old as well (doesn't help that my computer wasn't even close to high end 2 years ago), and amazingly I'm still able to enjoy them.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
Originally posted by: Kenazo
Wow! I think I know what my next system will be.

yup, it's been confirmed that this will be my first nintendo system since the NES....

I think I've actually had every had every system Nintendo released in the US except for the GBA. I even picked up a Virtual Boy with several games for like $20 when they were clearing them out. I still love playing all of the old games I had when I was a kid, and the games I wanted when I was a kid but didn't own. Nowadays I wait until new systems come down in price before I buy them, because I'd rather not blow excessive amounts of money on games. Most of the PC games I buy are at least 3 years old as well (doesn't help that my computer wasn't even close to high end 2 years ago), and amazingly I'm still able to enjoy them.

I had NES, SNES, N64, GB/GBC

no other system. No sega, on PSX, no xbox.

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
i didn't read thru all the replies so i duno if it's been pointed out already, but it won't be free :-(

"There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games."

linkage

kwjake

Jun 9, 2005
emuparadise.org has every nes game ever made for free. It also has allot of other system games (n64, snes, atari, gbc, gba, etc.)

The classics rock!

Site seems to be down right now tho. If you download the "goodsets", you get TONS of games.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: kwjake
emuparadise.org has every nes game ever made for free. It also has allot of other system games (n64, snes, atari, gbc, gba, etc.)

The classics rock!

Site seems to be down right now tho. If you download the "goodsets", you get TONS of games.

too bad, that unless you own the original carts, after 24 hours you have to delete them or it's illegal and called pirating.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
seems like form the replies to this thread that most of you guys have never heard of an emulator ...

they've been around for years and years lol.

hard to play 4 player smash on emu

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ifesfor
I AM NOT an anti-nintendo fanboy, but i honestly think that Nintendo are abusing of the customers they have left.A new GBA...all big N freak will buy it( tho i must admit it look pretty cool! ).

Its a good idea to throw all those old games into their new system, but they didnt show yet what their new system can do.They just cant rely only on mario,donkey kong and mario party xxx.They need EXCLUSIVE stuff if they want to survive
how does it feel to be caught in a lie? nintendo probably has more good exclusive titles than anybody, simply due to the fact that their in-house stuff is just so damn good. as for surviving, nintendo's profits in the game market are higher than MS's. nintendo is actually very sound, financially.

kwjake

Jun 9, 2005
Originally posted by: mwmorph

The classics rock!

too bad, that unless you own the original carts, after 24 hours you have to delete them or it's illegal and called pirating.

Yea, too bad ;):roll:

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MisterCornell
I don't want to play phucking old games. It would be more impressive if Nintendo had something that could compete with the likes of Halo.

You realize that Metroid Prime was roughly 10 times the game that Halo was. And if you play Halo for the multiplayer, you missed the fvcking 90s and some of the best gaming ever because Halo's multiplayer doesn't hold a candle to Quake1 or the original HL1/CS or Tribes or basically anything from that era and beyond. The only people Halo impressed were the ones who bought an Xbox on specs alone and were starved for titles or the ones who had never played online fps games before. The only good thing that came from Halo was the hog trick jumps and Red vs Blue.

kwjake

Jun 9, 2005
Edited for kwjake's sake

Site is up now ;) :D

you may want to edit that out ... kind of condones piracy, which is not allowed here.

Originally posted by: mwmorph

The classics rock!

Hottie

Nov 29, 2002
Free or not thats the console I am getting. I don't mind paying $1 or 2 for some of those old classic game. I am not a FPS fan and games from the last 5 yrs piss me off.

And for the hater just STFU and go away, ur wasting ur time, our time and AT's space. And for those promo xbox mod here, since when AT allow people to promo illegal and pirating?

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ShadowBlade
so, do i have to already own the originals, or can i be like "nintendo, gimme a game"

It is illegal to download Nintendo roms, period. Doesn't matter if you have them or not in your collection.

misterj

Jan 7, 2000
Originally posted by: royaldank
so, do i have to already own the originals, or can i be like "nintendo, gimme a game"

It is illegal to download Nintendo roms, period. Doesn't matter if you have them or not in your collection.

um, no. the major issue with media is when two or more people are using the same copy at the same time. i can make a million backups of anything as long as i keep them to myself. i can pee on it, poop on it, burn it in effigy, anything i want.
it's when someone borrows one when they could have purchased one that causes people's panties to bunch up, and so causing a possible loss to the owner(s).

at least thats how i view it.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: misterj
Originally posted by: royaldank

um, no. the major issue with media is when two or more people are using the same copy at the same time. i can make a million backups of anything as long as i keep them to myself. i can pee on it, poop on it, burn it in effigy, anything i want.
it's when someone borrows one when they could have purchased one that causes people's panties to bunch up, and so causing a possible loss to the owner(s).

at least thats how i view it.

You absolutely certain about that? Why don't you ask Ninentdo. If I'm not mistaken, they have in their EULA that they do not find any reason for a copy to be made, backup or otherwise.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
All I can say is Online Multiplayer Smash Brothers.....enough to buy a revolution for me and all my friends.

As far as the old nintendo games, I would much rather lay on my nice comfy couch playing those games than sitting at my computer desk. It is a brilliant idea, whether it be free or not.

I don't know about you guys, but if it were mere graphics I was looking for, I would just use my computer. Computer graphics have become almost photorealistic as it is and will always stay on top of consoles (except for a few months until the R520 is available). You are also forgetting that the price of the revolution will probably be half that of the PS3.

Nintendo knows how to make it so the gaming experience is more enjoyable. Tell me you've had more fun in a racing game than playing mariokart; or you've had more fun with a fighting game than smash brothers. It takes more than graphics to satisfy my gaming fix. You know Nintendo realizes this so they are doing something about it.

Yes, most of the games that Nintendo comes out with are geared for younger children. But Nintendo is far from the only company making games for the console. Nintendo's consoles obtained that stereotype because of the N64 being catridge and Nintendo being the basically the only company to write games for it after the ps1 and their sexy videos on CD's. Play 'Eternal Darkness' for the gamecube and tell me that is for kids (such an awesome game) and it was one of the first games to come out for it. I love my cube and have had much more fun on that than my ps2 or xbox.

Anyway, Nintendo is not stupid and they will make sure that whatever the 'Revolution' is...that it will also be the normal way as well. For example, from the screen shots of the prototype it looks as if you can plug in gamecube controllers. So use those if you don't like Gyro, or the LCD screen or whatever it has. Video games have been only focused on better graphics for 20 years. It's about time something new is released, and there is no one I trust more to do it than Nintendo. People are so scared of change so them doing so will prevent a lot of sales. Usually the ones that don't like change are the ones that say their favorite game of all time is Mario 1 so they are attracting those people back by offering all of their favorite games in one nice little neat package.

I'm sure I will buy an Xbox360 anyway (because it's released first and tiger woods looks pretty cool) but I can assure you that I will own a revolution regardless of it's reviews after release. Have a little faith, Nintendo has yet to let me down.

Oh and one more thing...again....Online Smash Brothers and Online MarioKart!!!! Come on people, ponder that for a while.