Nintendo reveals list of backwards compatible titles that will be available free of charge for Revolution

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: skace
Oh and for those geniuses that to love to mention how their Xbox plays all these games and more. News flash spankies, emulation was around before the Xbox was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eyes. And all the roms you love to play all fall squarely under the realm of warez. Unless, of course, you own the game. But most people at this point in time don't have 400 nes/snes/genesis/etc games sitting in their closet still (if ever), outside of the rare collector.

:eek:

(see sig)

:eek:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: So

The free status of the back catalogue was the only thing that would make me seriously consider buying a revolution.

I don't understand why so many people thought that a library of over 1000 total games would be potentially free for download? And why should a small fee turn so many off to consider buying the Revolution?

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
What's stopping 1 person from downloading a game for a fee then sending it to all his friends? I bet most all these old games are going to end up being free for a lot of dishonest people who wouldn't pay anyway. And Nintendo would rather have someone buy a revolution because they can easily pirate the old games rather than not buying anything from Nintendo and buying an xbox 360. (I'm not condoning piracy)

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Jhill
What's stopping 1 person from downloading a game for a fee then sending it to all his friends? I bet most all these old games are going to end up being free for a lot of dishonest people who wouldn't pay anyway. And Nintendo would rather have someone buy a revolution because they can easily pirate the old games rather than not buying anything from Nintendo and buying an xbox 360. (I'm not condoning piracy)

Text

The downloads will, as previously announced, be stored in flash memory. You'll be able to store games in the 512 megabytes built into the system, but should this fill up, you can transfer your downloads to an SD memory card and use your computer to manage the files. Iwata didn't elaborate, but did state that copy protection is in place (so don't expect to simply send downloaded game copies to your friends by e-mail).

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

I think it depends on the price point of the classic games catalogue. Free is not going to work because, well, nothing is free. If they keep the prices reasonable (less than $5) then it should be fine.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: eelw

The free status of the back catalogue was the only thing that would make me seriously consider buying a revolution.

I don't understand why so many people thought that a library of over 1000 total games would be potentially free for download? And why should a small fee turn so many off to consider buying the Revolution?

because it's a bunch of intellectual property that is doing nothing more than hanging out gathering dust. I won't pay for those old games again.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I didn't realistically expect them to hand you all those games for free. They should at least give you access to all those games for a month after you buy the machine, and then let you have access under subscription or charge $2-5 per game. I'd easily pay $50 a year for that library.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Awesome, all the Donkey Kong games!!!!!!!! OMGWTFFHAPPYSH!TWTFFRUITPUNHC!!!!!!!!! :laugh: ZELDA TOO>?????!!!

Golden Eye??!! WOW IM GONNA DIE WITH HAPPINESS!!!!! RIGTH NOWW!!

Pilot WIngs???

NBA Courtside!!

All the MARIOS!!!! ROFL

But where is Act Raiser? (sad face)

AHHA Flintstones!! :laugh:

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Yossarian

because it's a bunch of intellectual property that is doing nothing more than hanging out gathering dust. I won't pay for those old games again.

More or less. It is the only thing that I find attractive about the new console. They own the games, and they need their new console to be a hit, thus it is certainly possible for them to give it away. They want to chare for each game, and I don't think they're worth enough on their own anymore, but as a freebie they are a huge bonus.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Stefan I always hate nintendo cause it's for kids!

Oooooh buuuuurrrn! :roll:

Who told you that, the intelligent posts on IGN Forums or the PhD-educated gameologists on G4TV? Hah.
Look at the list of games above. Most are for kiddies.

you know what moron? Alot of us grew up on those 'kiddy' games, and would love to play them again. If you dont like it, why do you keep coming back to this post to spew your garbage. These games are free and youre bitching about it..........

Take a minute and see how many games you can come up with that you payed $50 for and ended up being dissapointed. Dumb ass.

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
I don't want to play phucking old games. It would be more impressive if Nintendo had something that could compete with the likes of Halo.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MisterCornell
I don't want to play phucking old games. It would be more impressive if Nintendo had something that could compete with the likes of Halo.

Metroid Prime in my book was at least just as fun to play.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

Nobody is forcing you to buy them. And I thought Metroid Prime was supposed to be competitive with Halo?

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004

Go away, nobody wants to hear your useless rants.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000

Okay, fine. We all know how you feel about Nintendo. Can you just stop beating a dead horse then? It's getting tiring reading the same ramblings post after post after post.

Seriously, Skoorb. You're such a mindless anti-Nintendo fanboy. How can you bash a company for offering hundreds of completely free games with their console? Seriously!? I just don't get it. It does nothing but ADD to the value of their product. Even if if doesn't add any value for you, thread crapping like that makes you seem like a grinch. Grow up.

Oh, and backwards compatibility is for people who dont like to clutter their "media centers" or don't want to cart several consoles around just to play an old game every now and then. I played several GC games on a GC that I bought with some friends. They have it now, and I don't regret giving it to them because I know I'll be able to play all those games again when I pick up a Revolution. It's a win-win for everybody.

CHfan4ever

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2004
Originally posted by: EpsiIon

Okay, fine. We all know how you feel about Nintendo. Can you just stop beating a dead horse then? It's getting tiring reading the same ramblings post after post after post.

Seriously, Skoorb. You're such a mindless anti-Nintendo fanboy. How can you bash a company for offering hundreds of completely free games with their console? Seriously!? I just don't get it. It does nothing but ADD to the value of their product. Even if if doesn't add any value for you, thread crapping like that makes you seem like a grinch. Grow up.

Oh, and backwards compatibility is for people who dont like to clutter their "media centers" or don't want to cart several consoles around just to play an old game every now and then. I played several GC games on a GC that I bought with some friends. They have it now, and I don't regret giving it to them because I know I'll be able to play all those games again when I pick up a Revolution. It's a win-win for everybody.

I AM NOT an anti-nintendo fanboy, but i honestly think that Nintendo are abusing of the customers they have left.A new GBA...all big N freak will buy it( tho i must admit it look pretty cool! ).

Its a good idea to throw all those old games into their new system, but they didnt show yet what their new system can do.They just cant rely only on mario,donkey kong and mario party xxx.They need EXCLUSIVE stuff if they want to survive.

The gamecube was indeed a great machine....but laking the games Xbox and PS2 owner got.N64 was the suckkaage of all system

I honestly tho think that the revolution will be a better success than xbox360.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
So is it confirmed that these games are free? Or are they just available, but possibly with a fee?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
So is it confirmed that these games are free? Or are they just available, but possibly with a fee?

Completely up in the air. I suspect it'll be for a fee, which has really rained on the parade. :(

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Yeah they are pain in the ass, I agree ;)

I just personally thin kbackwards compatibility is for newbs. Spend a few bucks and buy the games that run on your new console. If you want to play the old ones then keep your old system, or better yet enter the third millennium and stop playing those old stupid games. If you can sit in front of a 10 year old video game and actually enjoy it, you need a pyschiatrist.

The games were plenty of fun 10, even 20 years ago, but if you still enjoy them you need a psychiatrist? You're an idiot.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: RaiderJ

You'll have to pay to download them.

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.