Nintendo reveals list of backwards compatible titles that will be available free of charge for Revolution

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
More Revolution coverage
June 7, 2005 - Nintendo brought Revolution to the Japanese press for the first time on the morning of the 7th, a few weeks following the system's debut at last month's E3. During the press conference, president Satoru Iwata leaked a few exciting details on what we can look forward to with the system, and also touched upon Nintendo's other plans.

Iwata highlighted a few features of the Revolution. First off, the system is thin, small and doesn't get in the way. It's also quiet and uses little power. Players will be able to get their hands on a controller that's wireless and isn't scary to touch (more hints on the controller, below!).

Regarding the system's backwards compatibility features, Iwata refered to this part of the Revolution as a "Virtual Console." From a technical standpoint, all NES, Super NES and N64 games can work with the system, although it's unclear if every game in Nintendo's tremendous back catalogue will be available.

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

Backwards compatibility for GameCube goes beyond just the software. You'll be able to use all controllers (Wave Bird included), memory cards, the Mario Party microphone, the Dance Dance dance pad and even the Donkey Konga konga controller.

The downloads will, as previously announced, be stored in flash memory. You'll be able to store games in the 512 megabytes built into the system, but should this fill up, you can transfer your downloads to an SD memory card and use your computer to manage the files. Iwata didn't elaborate, but did state that copy protection is in place (so don't expect to simply send downloaded game copies to your friends by e-mail).

Nintendo's use of flash memory rather than a hard disk was very much intentional. The company believes that kids as young as five years old will use the Revolution and could damage a built-in hard disk. Additionally, Iwata points to longevity, reliability and cost as being part of the decision to go with flash.

The internal flash memory is being used for a few areas besides the download of game classics. You'll be able to save games to the flash area, update the Revolution's firmware (adding new features along the way, presumably) and download game demos! That's right, Revolution game demos, downloaded right to your Revolution hardware.

Aside from general specifications, three main areas of the system have yet to be revealed: the shape and functionality of the controller, the price and release date and the software lineup. Nintendo has held back on these areas for competitive reasons, but all three will be revealed before the end of the year.

The controller in particular seems to be getting quite a bit of attention, with Nintendo software master Shigeru Miyamoto commenting at the press conference that the company is making a big investment in creating the device. Iwata added, "I think you will be surprised by the Revolution's controller."

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
there are some great games on that list. yeah, they may not look good, but they are still lots of fun.

Nomada

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
EA had better release NHL '94 or I will be PISSED. NHL '94 is the best hockey game of ever.

I still play that on my Super Nintendo. It's the only game I own.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I'm expecting to see a touch screen of some kind built into the controller. No matter what anyone says about the Playstation controller, Nintendo's controllers have always been revolutionary and have always pushed the others to develop theirs to mirror what Nintendo produces.

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
Sounds pretty neat to me, guess I'll wait and see just like I will for everything else....I don't think I'll buy anything right when it comes out anyway....

CIV 4 will keep me busy until the systems get cheaper, I would think :)

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Ok, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart, all the Mario Parties, Blast Corps, Bomberman Hero, EVERY FVCKING RETRO (NES/SNES) MARIO PLATFORMER [liek, omgwtf free], those titles alone are enough to tie me into this whole back catalogue idea.
And all of you throwing "omg, its free already on my xbox, modchip, wow" around, this is legally free and it should be perfect emulation. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark certainly don't play perfectly on my XBOX (I do have the originals on the 64) and it does involve voiding the warranty. Looks like I'll be getting a Revolution to go with my XBOX 360.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: sheik124
Ok, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart, all the Mario Parties, Blast Corps, Bomberman Hero, EVERY FVCKING RETRO (NES/SNES) MARIO PLATFORMER [liek, omgwtf free], those titles alone are enough to tie me into this whole back catalogue idea.
And all of you throwing "omg, its free already on my xbox, modchip, wow" around, this is legally free and it should be perfect emulation. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark certainly don't play perfectly on my XBOX (I do have the originals on the 64) and it does involve voiding the warranty. Looks like I'll be getting a Revolution to go with my XBOX 360.

Not going to be free
There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

BillyBobJoel71

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
yay bajo kazooie, mario 64, mario kart and goldeneye! that makes me look forward to getting it. if only nintendo would screw the touch screen controller crap.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: sheik124

Not going to be free
I'd still pay a couple of bucks a pop for these games.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Stefan
Originally posted by: purbeast0
seems like form the replies to this thread that most of you guys have never heard of an emulator ...

they've been around for years and years lol.

And you think that most people have all those games? I owned like 30 on that list. Sure you could download them off the net, but it is also illegal.

Fvcking thieves. What can you do?

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: eelw
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Stefan I always hate nintendo cause it's for kids!

Okay, fine. We all know how you feel about Nintendo. Can you just stop beating a dead horse then? It's getting tiring reading the same ramblings post after post after post.

It's okay. He just has to keep telling you that he plays adult games. To keep himself from thinking of the horrible reality of his mental retardation.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: purbeast0
seems like form the replies to this thread that most of you guys have never heard of an emulator ...

they've been around for years and years lol.
Hell, the booths in the mall sell emulators to plug into your tv and play a bunch of stupid old NES games.

you know it is a pain in the ass trying to complete your collection of just GBA roms. if there's a utility that let you name thousands of GBA roms correctly, that'd be cool.
Yeah they are pain in the ass, I agree ;)

I just personally thin kbackwards compatibility is for newbs. Spend a few bucks and buy the games that run on your new console. If you want to play the old ones then keep your old system, or better yet enter the third millennium and stop playing those old stupid games. If you can sit in front of a 10 year old video game and actually enjoy it, you need a pyschiatrist.

How can you not enjoy games like Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country? Those are great games, regardless of their age. If nothing else, it would be fun to sit down and mess around with a bunch of the games you haven't played, or did play and still like.

I personally am happy Nintendo is taking this route with their new system. Emulators are great, and I most certainly use them, but to have it all on a simple console, instead of at a computer, makes it great for the girlfriends/wives/friends who aren't so technically savvy.

:thumbsup: Nintendo!

Skoorb, if you are so short sighted that the only thing you look for in a game is graphics, and thus, rule out all old games as no longer fun, I have lost all respect for your taste in games and most of my respect for your intelligence.

What intelligence? Just because someone has 50,000 posts on a tech site (in this case mostly OT BS, in fact I don't think I've ever seen an intelligent post from this guy on a technical topic or technical forum yet) doesn't render them intelligent. It just means that they have nothing better to do than spend the vast majority of their free time posting on non-issues to a bunch of strangers.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: fs5
WTF NO SUPER DODGE BALL or RIVER CITY RANSOM!? :|:|:|

There better be River City Ransom. I think they'll bring it out though since some company made a GBA version last year.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Great, old games I wouldn't play if they were free. If this is nintendo's selling point it just serves as a hint at their ever-approaching End Of Life as a tv console.

Hey, I can sell you a new auto. Yes, it's only got 35 horsepower, but it plays cds, tapes, 8 track AND records!

Stupid fvck! Those aren't just old games. They are classic games. They may not have mind blowing, eye poking graphics, ect...but they are damn fun and simple.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Yeah they are pain in the ass, I agree ;)

I just personally thin kbackwards compatibility is for newbs. Spend a few bucks and buy the games that run on your new console. If you want to play the old ones then keep your old system, or better yet enter the third millennium and stop playing those old stupid games. If you can sit in front of a 10 year old video game and actually enjoy it, you need a pyschiatrist.

The above quoted text proves that you arn't a gamer.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Oh and for those geniuses that to love to mention how their Xbox plays all these games and more. News flash spankies, emulation was around before the Xbox was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eyes. And all the roms you love to play all fall squarely under the realm of warez. Unless, of course, you own the game. But most people at this point in time don't have 400 nes/snes/genesis/etc games sitting in their closet still (if ever), outside of the rare collector.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Oooooh buuuuurrrn! :roll:

Who told you that, the intelligent posts on IGN Forums or the PhD-educated gameologists on G4TV? Hah.
Look at the list of games above. Most are for kiddies.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Oooooh buuuuurrrn! :roll:

Who told you that, the intelligent posts on IGN Forums or the PhD-educated gameologists on G4TV? Hah.
Look at the list of games above. Most are for kiddies.

If you can't see a good game beyond the brightly coloured graphics then, I am afraid to say, your opinion counts for very little on this matter.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
They should do the same for Nintendo DS, at least for NES/SNES games. Is the wireless on it WiFi compatible?

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do they have to pay Ken Griffey Jr. and Lucas (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) for each copy distributed?