Nintendo NES Classic

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
When I first seen these advertised they wanted $60. You know what these assholes want now?! Over $230! They flipping insane?! I wanted to buy my Bro the damn thing but at that price forgetaboutit. I'd take the money, but a cheap Dell laptop and throw a damn emulator on there FFS. Then the reviews look less than stellar. Not sure if that's because of pissed off people or not.

Greed, it will destroy us all. :mad:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I prefer the SNES, anyway. Not just nostalgia, but the RPGs on the SNES were better (and they hold up pretty well as mobile games).

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
You can blame the scalpers for the scarcity of these NES Classics. Even then, it's nothing more than some over glorified, locked down, emulation box.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
To be fair they did a very limited release initially and this always happens on a hot item like that when that happens so blame nintendo more.

They are supposed to be releasing more but it will take time and don't expect the supply to be their for awhile.

In either case welcome to capitalism 101. :p

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Supply and demand.

System is being scalped right now.

Gotta wait or pay to play

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Hot holiday item in short supply? Never seen that before.
It happens every year and is manufactured to create demand.

Reactions: Homerboy

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I want one dearly, but yeah. Scalpers. Nintendo is absolutely horrible at gauging interest which is too bad. This thing created a ton of buzz when it was announced.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Really wanted to get this as joint gift for my kids...no luck though. No way I'm supporting secondary scalping market just to get one.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Every time I get nostalgic to play an old game on the NES, I look at the games on my computer or Xbox and realize that gamplay and graphics on the NES just can't hold a candle to anything "modern" (past 20 years). Want to play faxanadu? Just load up Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, or Diablo 3 and you quickly realize the old games just can't compete.

Reactions: KMFJD

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Why not get a fire tv or shield tv with controller. Retroarch + any rom manager and you get an unlimited fun rig.

Reactions: Crono

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Every time I get nostalgic to play an old game on the NES, I look at the games on my computer or Xbox and realize that gamplay and graphics on the NES just can't hold a candle to anything "modern" (past 20 years). Want to play faxanadu? Just load up Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, or Diablo 3 and you quickly realize the old games just can't compete.

The problem is that my 4 & 8 year olds can't hold an Xbox controller like they can a classic NES one. Plus it's always some sort of download or update required on a console that makes you sit there and wait 4-20 minutes for it to install. Consoles are getting as bad as PC's in that regard.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
DIY:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/99-diy-hdmi-retro-game-emulator-system-easy.2488612/

Esty has 3D-printed mini NES cases for the Raspberry Pi if you really want one. Bonus, the Pi has save states!
Bonus part two, you'll be able to run different games!
Graphics don't make a game fun.
Super Mario 3 is still great. Legend of Zelda is still great. Crystalis is still great. And so on.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Apparently the extra controller is even harder to find & has a higher scalper markup.

But yeah, I was considering buying one, but now I think I'm just going to spend some time setting up emulators on my htpc and/or fire tv

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
yeah just make a retropi box... way cheaper and way more functional... and any USB controller you want. Takes like 20 minutes to set up. The NES controller is fucking uncomfortable and was even when it came out. It's cool because of nostalgia but I mean, it sucks in every conceivable way to hold a tiny box with 90 degree angles.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I was honestly more interested in it as something to toss in the car and feed into the drop down LCD display for road trips. It's small, solid state and easy to operate. Same thing for tossing it in a bag and taking it to grandparents for a long weekend.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got to like how Nintendo can milk nostalgia though, they've rereleased the classic games in so many different forms now such as virtual console etc and now this.

It's a neat device, it's crossed my mind to get it, but probably won't end up getting it, it would mostly just collect dust once the novelty wore off. I like that the controllers work in the Wii though... Hopefully it will be possible to buy them individually.

One thing that might be a neat project though is to setup a Retro Pi.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I asked for this for Xmas. My wife ordered it... for $320 CAD from an Amazon affiliate, not knowing any better. o_O It lists for $80 CAD here. I even told her that it would be under $100 CAD when it came out, but obviously she forgot.

I told her to refuse the shipment, partially because it wasn't even a North American model (warranty issue and possibly a power incompatibility issue) and because it had extra fees to pay to accept the shipment. The fees alone were almost 3/4 of the cost a new Canadian one, and it wasn't indicated in the description that these fees would be incurred.

She was totally clueless. She thought she was getting a good deal because other sellers were selling for upwards of $500. :rolleyes: She had no idea it wasn't Amazon selling it either.

We'll see if she'll get her refund. BTW, I am hating how Amazon.ca is being taken over by fly-by-night affiliates, and Amazon itself is heavily promoting this. It's become much, much more irritating to buy on Amazon these days. I checked the seller, and there is no indication anywhere on the store site that they're not a North American seller. Even the shipping rates mimic in-country sellers.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I got one. The drawback to it is the controller cord length. I managed to get the extra controller as well.

I have played Ice Climber the most. I played Bubble Bobble with my daughter and she enjoyed it.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Lucked out and got one the first day. One thing I gotta say is the cord for the remote is ridiculously short, like its 3 feet long. Do yourself a favor and get a cord extension. Other than that I'm having fun with it.