NIMBYS now kneecapping UC system

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now NIMBYs are forcing UC Berkeley to cut enrollment by 3,000 students because there is insufficient housing for them. Also, those same NIMBYs oppose building new housing to accommodate them.

This essentially caps the enrollment of one of the most accessible and prestigious universities in the world because the people who live around it hate new development. California needs to revise or repeal CEQA today to return property rights to property owners and not selfish and litigious neighbors.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Not educating kids has nothing to do with solving over population, what a load of crap. People moved in by the school, they shouldn't be able to bitch about the school accomplishing it's purpose.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Must be nice to be a rich land owner and use the law in an extremely twisted manner to hermetically seal your city in time.
They are just trying to save those poor kids from the nightmare of a world class education in a slightly more dense city.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Rumblings out of the legislature are that CEQA is going to get a major renovation this year with an eye on housing production and infrastructure. Long overdue.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Article behind paywall. Given the long tradition of universities blockbusting neighborhoods, my inclination is to tell UC to eat a bag of dicks.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I already provide complete care food housing and utilities to two unemployed people and could support more if I could add additional unites to my properties, but the increases in property taxes make that beyond my means to pay it. Fortunately prop 13 gives me some extension in time before I go bankrupt and have to move to Podunk Texas.

Forty or so years ago I guess people stupidly tried to save children and the elderly in particular from environmental catastrophe by passing CEQA. What the F could they have been thinking. We need wall to wall high rise apartments and parking for cars so genetic selective pressures will help us evolve into cockroaches.

Have you ever noticed that people who have something will work to defend it and people who don’t will work to take it away and then work so nobody turns around and does that to them once they get It?

Me, I’m not like that. No way. It’s just everybody else who is. A town not far from me is maneuvering to kill its population of geese because they shit on the grass in open spaces. I can understand why people hate them. Projection.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
L

I already provide complete care food housing and utilities to two unemployed people and could support more if I could add additional unites to my properties, but the increases in property taxes make that beyond my means to pay it. Fortunately prop 13 gives me some extension in time before I go bankrupt and have to move to Podunk Texas.

Forty or so years ago I guess people stupidly tried to save children and the elderly in particular from environmental catastrophe by passing CEQA. What the F could they have been thinking. We need wall to wall high rise apartments and parking for cars so genetic selective pressures will help us evolve into cockroaches.

Have you ever noticed that people who have something will work to defend it and people who don’t will work to take it away and then work so nobody turns around and does that to them once they get It?

Me, I’m not like that. No way. It’s just everybody else who is. A town not far from me is maneuvering to kill its population of geese because they shit on the grass in open spaces. I can understand why people hate them. Projection.
Hey guys look, our chief NIMBY is here.

You should tell those kids who got denied their opportunity at an education that it’s for their own good.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This is probably the cougar problem they want, but not the one they have:

We are turning into a 1970s SNL skit. I want to reject cynicism, but it keeps being reinforced.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm guessing none of you have been to Berkeley. They needed nimbyism 30 years ago, now they're just waiting for a fire to solve most of the problems.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
L

You should tell those kids who got denied their opportunity at an education that it’s for their own good.
Still carrying water for the rich and powerful, I see. This is one of your dumber, more transparent bloody shirts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Still carrying water for the rich and powerful, I see. This is one of your dumber, more transparent bloody shirts.
If there’s anyone I’m ‘carrying water’ for it’s the poor and middle class. The rich are the ones desperately fighting all development.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
L

They already had the benefits when their folks protected their neighborhoods where they grew up. Meanwhile maybe the political courage to push for adequate measures to truly solve the housing crisis is insufficient to overcome to overcome the fears of not getting re-elected

Gov. Gavin Newsom rightly joined the city of Berkeley and others in criticizing the court rulings. But he also quietly abandoned his campaign pledge to close the housing deficit by getting 3.5 million homes built within two terms, replacing it this week with a promise to plan for a million fewer five years later.

In this link touting his efforts and failures a professor says the problem can’t be fixed. But all that is needed to fix a housing shortage is more houses and paying for them? Why increase income tax, though, on everybody when you can raise property taxes on those who own to pay for those who don’t.

One problem with extracting that money from a minority of owners is that the more owners you create you eventually create a majority and they will say no to more property taxes. People have not changed. The only thing that has changed are the numbers of people more or less fucked by the system that nobody wants to change.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'd like to hear the nimby solution for solving the housing crisis.

Please. How do you propose we do this without building new homes where people need to live

The floor is yours

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They already had the benefits when their folks protected their neighborhoods where they grew up. Meanwhile maybe the political courage to push for adequate measures to truly solve the housing crisis is insufficient to overcome to overcome the fears of not getting re-elected
That assumes they grew up rich, as if we are talking about California the only people who can afford homes now are the rich because of people like you.

Gov. Gavin Newsom rightly joined the city of Berkeley and others in criticizing the court rulings. But he also quietly abandoned his campaign pledge to close the housing deficit by getting 3.5 million homes built within two terms, replacing it this week with a promise to plan for a million fewer five years later.

In this link touting his efforts and failures a professor says the problem can’t be fixed. But all that is needed to fix a housing shortage is more houses and paying for them? Why increase income tax, though, on everybody when you can raise property taxes on those who own to pay for those who don’t.

One problem with extracting that money from a minority of owners is that the more owners you create you eventually create a majority and they will say no to more property taxes. People have not changed. The only thing that has changed are the numbers of people more or less fucked by the system that nobody wants to change.

More taxes are not needed to solve this problem. The only thing needed is to remove housing bans. That’s the one good thing about this problem - from a tax perspective fixing it is 100% free. If anything, you get more taxes at the same rates because you have more residents!

Eliminating prop 13 would help as well and from a simple moral perspective it’s hard to argue against the idea that if you’re going to have property taxes and two people own identical property they should pay the same tax on it. No special privileges for anyone, equality for all.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd like to hear the nimby solution for solving the housing crisis.

Please. How do you propose we do this without building new homes where people need to live

The floor is yours
I think from their perspective there’s no crisis to be solved. Think about it. You get to force everyone else to live how you want them to, your neighborhood stays just as you like it, and you get a huge financial windfall for your troubles. What’s not to like? Mass human suffering is bad and all but if you have the cops throw the homeless people out of your town you don’t have to worry about it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If there’s anyone I’m ‘carrying water’ for it’s the poor and middle class. The rich are the ones desperately fighting all development.
Are you one of the two kidney rich? I’m sure a homeless person somewhere could use one. Perhaps we should have laws that force the organ rich to sell some of the ones that come in pairs.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think from their perspective there’s no crisis to be solved. Think about it. You get to force everyone else to live how you want them to, your neighborhood stays just as you like it, and you get a huge financial windfall for your troubles. What’s not to like? Mass human suffering is bad and all but if you have the cops throw the homeless people out of your town you don’t have to worry about it.

The homeless problem is big, especially out there, but It's not just the homeless, it's those struggling to keep a roof over their head as well which severely impacts their quality of life and ability to move upwards.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Are you one of the two kidney rich? I’m sure a homeless person somewhere could use one. Perhaps we should have laws that force the organ rich to sell some of the ones that come in pairs.

So if someone is allowed to build a two family home next to yours you equate that with taking one of your organs? That's....interesting?

Reactions: dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So if someone is allowed to build a two family home next to yours you equate that with taking one of your organs? That's....interesting?
He thinks not being able to have the government ban other people from building houses is like the government forcibly removing his internal organs.

He is a very serious person with opinions that should be taken seriously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The homeless problem is big, especially out there, but It's not just the homeless, it's those struggling to keep a roof over their head as well which severely impacts their quality of life and ability to move upwards.
It’s the primary reason people are leaving the west coast - they can’t afford to live there anymore.