"Nihilist in Chief" Alex Pareene with a masterful piece on one of the most venal, evil people in politics today: Mitch McConnell

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
This is good.

https://newrepublic.com/article/153275/mitch-mcconnell-profile-nihilist-chief

At one critical juncture in the shutdown negotiations, Lindsey Graham, the Trump White House’s key Senate liaison, left a conference with the Senate majority leader to blurt the quiet part out loud to CNBC producer Karen James Sloan. Leader McConnell, Graham explained, is “going to let the White House figure out what move they want to make. . . . The Leader is waiting . . . to see what the White House wants to do.”

So much, in other words, for all the sonorous talk of the United States Senate as the world’s most august deliberative body: Its most powerful majority leader over the past decade is an errand boy for both an errant billionaire class of campaign donors, and an errant billionaire president.

What’s more, that’s just how Mitch McConnell wants it. Something of a journalistic cottage industry has sprung up around the recondite question of just what makes Mitch tick, but the uninspiring, mundane answer is hiding in plain sight. Mitch McConnell is the great avatar of the decades-long enclosure of our public life by money. He does not offer a stirring vision of conservative national greatness or even ends-justify-the-means rationales for Senate horse-trading that depart from the disheartening transactional version of our politics that reigns in the Citizens United age. In Mitchworld, you simply pay—and pay, and pay—to play.

Pareene is a real one from back in the day. Early and vocal Iraq war critic, and a heck of a writer.

Reactions: dank69

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Good article - "having few friends but many allies" So true when he goes he'll and up with a mob funeral.

BTW back in the day is for me is way more back in the day :p

Reactions: Blackjack200

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Good read.

I'm not kidding when I say I'm looking forward to happily pissing on his grave.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
How does he keep getting voted in, in Kentucky?! Is there no one better?
Power is what Republicans' crave. He has ultimate seniority and they would lose it if he did not run. And he must be delivering the goods to Kentucky.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Power is what Republicans' crave. He has ultimate seniority and they would lose it if he did not run. And he must be delivering the goods to Kentucky.

Yep, it comes down to seniority, pork, and his personal beliefs that money is speech and corporations are people. Makes him a darling of the donor class. His efforts against campaign finance reform alone count him an epic douchebag. The stolen USSC seat that he orchestrated should have got him tarred and feathered.

Last edited: