night running - lighting ones path

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by IHateMyJob2004, Jan 9, 2012.

1. IHateMyJob2004

UPDATE:
    Just ordered the black diamond sprinter. Sale ends in something like 3 hours. Order ASAP if you want it.

Read a few reviews from runners. One said he has many headlamps and this is his go to headlamp.

Lightweight due to built in rechargeable battery. Pretty much among the lightest of all headlamps I was looking at. Has a red flashing light on the back to warn cars coming from behind of your presence. Detachable top strap just in case it is needed.

Pretty much the best price I found on the internet before I bought it. And shipping is free! Just had to pay sales tax.
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12483543

$55 + sales tax! Right around my target price.

ORIG:
    What do people here do for night running and lights?

Most of my path is lit be street lamps but not all of it. I was thinking about getting a headlamp but would like to ask for others opinions.

Right now, I am htinking of getting something like this:
    http://www.night-gear.com/corona-headlamp-by-princeton-tec-77

Right now, I use an LED flashlight for hte needed areas and that works OK. I might just stick with that.

Thoughts?

#1 IHateMyJob2004, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. SWScorch

SWScorch Diamond Member

I swear by my headlamp for running in the winter. I have a cheap Black Diamong Gizmo. http://www.rei.com/product/799818/black-diamond-gizmo-headlamp Not the brightest in the world, but it works fine on the roads and make me a hell of a lot more visible to cars. That Corona looks pretty good, although I don't know how heavy it feels with that battery pack on the back. I'm sure that would be a heck of a lot better on trails, too.

3. IHateMyJob2004

The site that I linked for the example tells you the weight of the item with batteries.

It's 228 grams which is 8 ounces or 1/2 pound.

The one you linked is much ligher. 2.8 ounces.

As a reference, a baseball hat weighs 110 grams or so which is 1/4 pound.

With yours, how well does it stay on your head. I always think that it would slide down to your face. Also, does it illuminate by your feet well? All, I really just want 0-15 feet lit up enough to see the ground. Dimly lit is fine.

4. Megatomic

Megatomic Lifer

I have a princeton tec headlamp (forget the model and it is home right now), but it's 75 lumens and lights up technical trails well enough on a moonless night. I feel pretty confident wearing it, and it doubles as a douchebag car/truck driver blinder when I run on the roads. They're not the only ones who can forget to turn down the lights... ;)

5. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Keep in mind, with head lamps, because of the way the light is angled, you lose depth perception of the ground. It appears very flat. Not a big issue if you're running on on pavement or flat ground, but I'd be hesitant to take just a head lamp on trails. A waist light would be better for that purpose, if you don't already have a pouch or fuel belt around your waist. There's some LEDs that you can clip to those belts though.

On a side note, I'd make sure that the strap on a head lap is removable and machine washable. It will get stanky after a run or two.

6. SWScorch

SWScorch Diamond Member

Mine stays pretty well if I wear it at the proper angle. I have to kind of have the back of the band up higher than the front, and then it stays fine. Mine works fine for what you say you want. I usually angle it down so I can see about 10 feet in front of me and the only time it ever let me down was when I was running in a parking lot with streetlights and all the weird light and shadow hid a curb from me, even with the headlamp and I bit it hard. But it works well in dusk and darker situations. The one you linked to will be much, much brighter, though, and would probably penetrate any shadows.

7. IHateMyJob2004

I think the one I linked is more for night hiking due to the weight, not that it is horribly heavy. I'd hate to buy it to go on my first run and find that it is too heavy though.

8. mechBgon

mechBgon Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

9. IHateMyJob2004

I got to find my running bottle/belt. Bought it prematurely but maybe I should jsut look into clipping on a light to it.

10. IHateMyJob2004

#10 IHateMyJob2004, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. Megatomic

Megatomic Lifer

petzl and black diamond are the choice brands of most ultrarunners. you can't go wrong with either really.

12. IHateMyJob2004

I'm considering head gear but I am having trouble with alot of the prices for models that I like. I can stomach $20 but $40 is pushing it. Especially when I want to try and keep it under 4 ounces in weight.

Busy tonight but I'll try looking for a nice model later.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone!

13. GoSharks

GoSharks Diamond Member

Headlamps that use only 1 LED will tend to be brighter (and more expensive) than ones that use multiples.

14. mechBgon

mechBgon Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

If you want to try a low-budget, low-weight light, you might consider this:

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-242/ITP-A3-EOS-Cree/Detail

With the clip on, you can clip this to a sports visor, which is also handy when facing the obliviot motorist who has their high-beams on. The light is about 10 grams without a AAA loaded. Use a rechargable NiMH for good results.

I have one of these zip-tied to the front of my cycling helmet. Its low-beam mode is perfect for illuminating my GPS and speedometer. Medium looks like it would be enough to run with. High cuts the runtime to under an hour, which is starting to push it... at that rate, I guess you could just bring a spare AAA or an entire second light, it's not like you're going to notice another 20 grams.

If you didn't mind a 90-gram light (including battery), the 400-lumen S-Mini with the XM-L emitter puts out a big floody beam, but you'd need to pick up a lithium-ion 18650 protected cell and charger, plus figure out how to mount it (maybe a NiteIze flashlight headband).

[​IMG]
    XM-L version of S-Mini

There's also a "poor man's S-Mini" from this outfit: http://www.sbflashlights.com/Budget-Lights/Yezl-Z1-p137.html 20 grams heavier.

#14 mechBgon, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  15. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

16. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I'm not much of a runner, but do spend quite a bit of time with a headlamp on. For Christmas this year, I received a hat that has lights built in. I find it to be more comfortable on my head in the long run.

17. IHateMyJob2004

18. IHateMyJob2004

Just ordered the black diamond sprinter.

Read a few reviews from runners. One said he has many headlamps and this is his goto headlamp.

Lightweight due to built in rechargeable battery. Pretty much among the lightest of all headlamps I was looking at. Has a red flashing light on the back to warn cars coming from behind of your presence. Detachable top strap just in case it is needed.

Pretty much the best price I found on the internet before i bought it. And shipping is free! Just had to pay sales tax.
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12483543

$55+sales tax!

#18 IHateMyJob2004, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  19. IHateMyJob2004

Black Diamond Sprinter. I compared it to a junky energizer head band when it was fully charged.

Conclusion? Sprinters light weight is awesome. It is was brighter than the energizer one. I get a nice red blinking LED in back for safety on roads at night.

Very happy with it. I especially like the battery being in back to prevent a heavy module at my forehead.

Now, how to run at night in winter with headband. I don't think a baseball cap is going to work anymore ;-) And I have to deal with that darned noreaster tonight so I might have to skip running. DOH!

20. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

If you don't want to wear it on your head, you could try and retrofit it on a belt or even hold it in your hand.

21. Nebor

Nebor Lifer

155mm illumination rounds fired "time on target" at pre-planned targets along my run route. It not only lights the route but helps me set my pace when a new one bursts every 3 minutes.