Question Nighhawk R7000 Router 5G Problems

Frankie

Mar 11, 2001
I have a Nighthawk R7000 router and it's worked great up until a few weeks ago when I plugged in 2 Amazon Echos. I don't think that's the problem though. My 5G WiFi cuts out from time to time and when I unplug the router and plug it back in everything is fine or if I wait a few minutes it will work itself out and come back on. It's only the 5G that cuts out. Could I have too many things plugged into it or maybe too many things plugged into the router all together? I have about 17 devices plugged in at one time, including a WiFi extender. Any help would be appreciated.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Did you update the firmware recently? There have been wifi issues and net connection issues in general with the latest firmware versions. I've had random dropouts of wifi and or internet connection myself for months after an update late last year. It usually takes a power cycle to fix it. Last I read, 1.0.9.42 is the most stable version.

Check the netgear forums for more info:

Router Info page:

Frankie

Mar 11, 2001
Did you update the firmware recently? There have been wifi issues and net connection issues in general with the latest firmware versions. I've had random dropouts of wifi and or internet connection myself for months after an update late last year. It usually takes a power cycle to fix it. Last I read, 1.0.9.42 is the most stable version.

Check the netgear forums for more info:

Router Info page:

Yes, I did update the router firmware. I always update it. I'll have to look into seeing how I downgrade it if possible or hopefully they will put out a fix shortly.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
5GHZ cutting out? Set the channel yourself if you have it set to auto. It could be using a DFS channel and when it sees traffic, switches off it. Otherwise, the R7000 also accepts other 3rd party firmwares like dd-wrt which was updated today.