Nice big chunk of ANTArctic Ice Shelf breaks off into pieces.. say.. *160 square miles*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
When the water levels start to rise along the shore, that's when people will take this more seriously.

DOOM DOOM DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!

Fearmongering at its best.

Pray you don't have a house near the ocean because when the sands start to wash away, you're fucked. Call it what you want but this is reality. I'm not sure what horse you have in this debate, but my interests are my health and my future children's health, not short-term profits.

When you learn how to kill all life on this planet by stopping the sun, let me know. At least then you'll be happy that you saved the ice sheets from their historical reoccurring cycle of melting and forming.

G?damn mother nature eh?

Ignorance is bliss, no? The truth is there is a correlation between the hundreds of million of ton of pollutants we put in the atmosphere and GW.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
When the water levels start to rise along the shore, that's when people will take this more seriously.

Pray you don't have a house near the ocean because when the sands start to wash away, you're fucked. Call it what you want but this is reality. I'm not sure what horse you have in this debate, but my interests are my health and my future children's health, not short-term profits.

When you learn how to kill all life on this planet by stopping the sun, let me know. At least then you'll be happy that you saved the ice sheets from their historical reoccurring cycle of melting and forming.

G?damn mother nature eh?

Ignorance is bliss, no? The truth is there is a correlation between the hundreds of million of ton of pollutants we put in the atmosphere and GW.

What is the power of the correlation? What is the correlation coefficient? What is the goodness of fit?

Every study I have seen hasn't shown any significant correlation where I'd say "Holy shit, that explains it all". Even if an R2 was significant, that's only in the short-term and doesn't show what affects *WE* have.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, people like this must have something to save. Instead of save the whales, it's "Save the Glaciers". Because, ya know, they never melted before, and nobody can definitively prove they are melting now as a whole. Even if they could prove that, nobody can definitively say that it's us having a measurable effect.

Yet, zealots must have their beliefs.

Yep. Same as you must have yours. :laugh:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Pray you don't have a house near the ocean because when the sands start to wash away, you're fucked.

I have one word for you to remember if/when that happens: move.

:roll:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Well, of course. I don't think anyone argues this.

And ironically, if we put up more of those particulate pollutions that block sunlight and less pure greenhouse gases, MMGW would be less of a problem. The "irrational fear" of global cooling mentioned by someone earlier in this thread was actually quite real at the time.
I'm not advocating that we actually go back to dumping huge quantities of sunlight-blocking soot into the atmosphere, but on the subject of ignorance leading to bliss, I just thought I would point out that MMGW is actually a symptom of humans IMPROVING their environmental record, and not the opposite.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

G?damn mother nature eh?

What is the power of the correlation? What is the correlation coefficient? What is the goodness of fit?

Every study I have seen hasn't shown any significant correlation where I'd say "Holy shit, that explains it all". Even if an R2 was significant, that's only in the short-term and doesn't show what affects *WE* have.

lol. The regression analysis you seek has been published in many areas, not least at the UN and even here at the Earth Institute at Columbia University. But even if those analysis don't convince you, common sense should. To think that the hundreds of millions of ton of pollutants we put in the air everyday has no effect on GW is stupid. But to continue to live your life as if mankind is innocent of all this is laughable. I'm glad that there are real, serious people out there doing good work while the ignorant and deniers do nothing.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Pray you don't have a house near the ocean because when the sands start to wash away, you're fucked.

duh.

But it happens the same way everything in nature happens, slowly until it hits you. By then it's too late.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

lol. The regression analysis you seek has been published in many areas, not least at the UN and even here at the Earth Institute at Columbia University. But even if those analysis don't convince you, common sense should. To think that the hundreds of millions of ton of pollutants we put in the air everyday has no effect on GW is stupid. But to continue to live your life as if mankind is innocent of all this is laughable. I'm glad that there are real, serious people out there doing good work while the ignorant and deniers do nothing.

First off, I am not a denier, I am a heavy skeptic.

Second, I haven't seen any regression analysis that has convinced me that man is the one changing anything

Third, who knows if that has any effect, thus far it's had almost none. NASA and bouys prove that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

G?damn mother nature eh?

Yaknow, your side of the debate might have a touch more credibility in the argument if you actually argued something besides insults and straw men. As it is though, you're really doing more harm than good for the cause, and the blowback is starting to become more and more evident in public opinion.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

duh.

But it happens the same way everything in nature happens, slowly until it hits you. By then it's too late.

ya... right. :confused: I sincerely hope my sarcasm meter is just broken...

it's like living below sea level next to the sea, or building your house on a fault line... something truly intelligent people would normally avoid.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

First, replace your term pollution with CO2. CO2 is not just man made pollution.

Of course CO2 correlates with temperature rise. Yet which is the cause and which is the effect? CO2 rise correlates with temperature rise, because we?re beginning to prove temperature rise causes CO2 rise. Not the other way around.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic

G?damn mother nature eh?

Yaknow, your side of the debate might have a touch more credibility in the argument if you actually argued something besides insults and straw men. As it is though, you're really doing more harm than good for the cause, and the blowback is starting to become more and more evident in public opinion.

TBH, I think you're living in the past. Before GW was a fringe subject that only "tree-huggers" talked about. Now, it's a policy-level issue in every government and major corporation. Like I said, good people are working hard on this. You stand to enjoy the benefits but your denial in the face of mountains of data is entertaining and sad.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

duh.

it's like living below sea level next to the sea, or building your house on a fault line... something truly intelligent people would normally avoid.

You may be right but to insult billions of people isn't the way to rally the world around a major cause.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

First, replace your term pollution with CO2. CO2 is not just man made pollution.

Of course CO2 correlates with temperature rise. Yet which is the cause and which is the effect? CO2 rise correlates with temperature rise, because we?re beginning to prove temperature rise causes CO2 rise. Not the other way around.

You trying to lob circular logic into such an important debate doesn't help.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
TBH, I think you're living in the past. Before GW was a fringe subject that only "tree-huggers" talked about. Now, it's a policy-level issue in every government and major corporation. Like I said, good people are working hard on this. You stand to enjoy the benefits but your denial in the face of mountains of data is entertaining and sad.

I'm sorry, did I deny anything? Oops, no, I didn't, you made that up. Here with go again with a usual Dari argument. You'll assign me my argument as being anything other than my actual argument while you'll drape yourself in some halo that has nothing to do with what you're actually arguing.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic

I'm sorry, did I deny anything? Oops, no, I didn't, you made that up. Here with go again with a usual Dari argument. You'll assign me my argument as being anything other than my actual argument while you'll drape yourself in some halo that has nothing to do with what you're actually arguing.

Oh. Vic. Sorry, I thought you were LK. The alien avatar threw me off.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Exterous
Originally posted by: Butterbean
I read tons and tons of leaves fell last autumn. Hope you made it through safley.

Its spelled "safely"!

Sorry I couldn't resist :D

It's,"it's."

It's also, "Sorry, I couldn't resist."

Punctuation is your friend.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

duh.

You may be right but to insult billions of people isn't the way to rally the world around a major cause.
Is it my fault, or should I even care, that the world is full of billlions of stupid people!? That's common knowledge...

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

duh.

Is it my fault, or should I even care, that the world is full of billlions of stupid people!? That's common knowledge...

Well then let's limit this to the US, shall we? It's not only the people on the coasts who are going to be affected, I live 50 miles from the ocean and according to some models pretty much every square inch of FL will be under water.

By your rationale everyone who doesn't live in Oklahoma is a fucking moron who deserves to have their house swept away.

Come on man.

Now this is just the US, where by and large people have some choice about where they are going to reside. This doesn't really apply to large parts of the world, especially third world countries.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe

duh.

Well then let's limit this to the US, shall we? It's not only the people on the coasts who are going to be affected, I live 50 miles from the ocean and according to some models pretty much every square inch of FL will be under water.
Who says so, and when will that happen?

And you honestly believe that we have the power to stop that from happening? :confused:

By your rationale everyone who doesn't live in Oklahoma is a fucking moron who deserves to have their house swept away.
Actually, Oklahoma is a bad example.. too many morons already live there.

I'd actually just say that anyone who goes through life worrying about this happening, especially during our lifetime, or who actually thinks we could stop it from happening, is the moron.

Come on man.

Now this is just the US, where by and large people have some choice about where they are going to reside. This doesn't really apply to large parts of the world, especially third world countries.

1. they could build an ark.
2. they could migrate to higher ground. if they're poor, that means less shit they have to carry with them when they go.
3. they could drown and die.

you see, everyone has a choice!

Once again, wtf makes you think that we, as a species, could ever stop something so dramatic from happening?

If/when the seas rise up to cover half of the land on Earth, it wont happen overnight, and it probably wont come as a surprise. Most importantly, there aint a g'damn thing we could do about it -- except move to higher ground.

seriously, chill out dude. living cleanly is great, and I encourage everyone to do their part... but you need to stop going all Al Gore Armageddon on everyone... it makes you look like a clown!