NHTSA study finds illegal drug use does not increase risk of getting into accidents

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Why the hell would anyone want a tolerance to it? Why would anyone want a distorted insight into anything? Maybe I don't need my reality "enhanced"?

If you wanna get high on your own time, fine with me, but don't try to bullshit the rest of us about it.
Are you as adamantly against hands-free use of a mobile phone while driving? Because I'm pretty sure that using a hands-free mobile phone while driving is more dangerous than being hight on THC while driving. And if that's true, why are you against THC?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
CarColoursVsNormalizedAccidentRates.jpg

At the risk of being politically incorrect, statistics show that in Auckland, Black and Brown cars were more frequently involved in crashes...

To paraphrase a popular politician, the science is settled...

Uno

and now we know why practically every car is some shade of gray or silver nowadays. thanks, insurance!

oobydoobydoo

Nov 14, 2014
Drugs are bad. I don't know why people don't get this, but drugs will just kill you. Pot can kill you too!

I saw pot kill a man. He smoked and smoked and smoked his days away, never a care in the world. Then one day he got rolled by the cops, thrown in jail, raped, and murdered.

The end.

That's how pot kills.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Drugs are bad. I don't know why people don't get this, but drugs will just kill you. Pot can kill you too!

I saw pot kill a man. He smoked and smoked and smoked his days away, never a care in the world. Then one day he got rolled by the cops, thrown in jail, raped, and murdered.

The end.

That's how pot kills.
Lots of things will kill you. But that isn't sufficient reason to make them illegal.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The end.
That's how pot kills.

I think my sarcasm meter needs recalibrating.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Are you as adamantly against hands-free use of a mobile phone while driving? Because I'm pretty sure that using a hands-free mobile phone while driving is more dangerous than being hight on THC while driving. And if that's true, why are you against THC?

What part of "on your own time" did you not understand?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

The end.

That's how pot kills.

Pretty much.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
What part of "on your own time" did you not understand?
Every part. Does "on your own time" mean "when you're not driving in public?" Does it mean "when I'm not in your car?" Or does it mean something else?

Why you think that phrase has an unambiguous meaning probably indicates that you're not familiar with the concept that not everyone thinks the same way you do.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Every part. Does "on your own time" mean "when you're not driving in public?" Does it mean "when I'm not in your car?" Or does it mean something else?

Why you think that phrase has an unambiguous meaning probably indicates that you're not familiar with the concept that not everyone thinks the same way you do.

Ahhh...okay. Well, since I don't know what it means, I can't explain it to you.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Ahhh...okay. Well, since I don't know what it means, I can't explain it to you.
You apparently also don't know how to read and comprehend. I'm sure YOU know what YOU meant by "on your own time." But why would you expect anyone else to guess that meaning?

Instead of playing games, why don't you clearly state what your intended meaning is?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The survey found that marijuana users are more likely to be involved in accidents, but that the increased risk may be due in part because marijuana users are more likely to be in groups at higher risk of crashes. In particular, marijuana users are more likely to be young men – a group already at high risk.

Sounds like they knew what they wanted to find and then played with variables to attain the correct answer that was predetermined.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Here's a short article from the late 60's:

Alcohol Worse Than 'Pot" For Drivers, Study Shows

OLYMPIA, Wash. (UPI) - Apparently it's safer for a driver to be high on marijuana than on booze, according to a Washington Department of Motor Vehicles study. Alfred Cracner Jr., chief research scientist for the department, Friday announced the conclusions of a six-week test involving 36 subjects tested at driving simulators. He said those tested averaged 84.4 errors on the simulator under normal conditions and under the influence of marijuana. But the average number of errors jumped to 97.4 when the person was under the influence of alcohol.

The subjects were at .10 percent blood alcohol level, the point of presumed drunkenness under state law. They attained a "social high" with pot before being checked.
I always wondered if they had 36 people test straight, stoned and then drunk or whatever. The wording of the story is such that it's hard to tell how it was done. This article is in an old hippy book called Pot Art from Stone Mountain Press. The book was published in 1970 so the above article happened sometime earlier.

Lots of strange articles in it like one about test details where in the 30's the army tested a group of black men for the effects of pot. Lots of stuff about H.J. Anslinger and such.