NHL/Red Wings Fans: Dominik Hasek eyeing comeback

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
One of many stories...this is the ESPN/AP article. Also a good one at http://www.freep.com

mpitts, Wingzfan, whaddya think? I say ship Cujo to the Rangers if Dom wants to come back. Not that I think Cujo played poorly, but this is friggen Dominik Hasek! And the way he prepares/trains, there's no way he'd come back unless he felt he was in excellent condition.

Source: Hasek's return is a 'virtual certainty'

ESPN.com news services

Dominik Hasek might not have stopped his last puck after all. The former star goaltender is considering a return to the NHL.

Hasek, who retired after helping the Detroit Red Wings to a Stanley Cup title in 2002, has recently talked to his former club about a possible return.

The 38-year-old goaltender and representatives of the Red Wings met in Europe recently, Roman Hozak, the player's press representative, told The Associated Press on Tuesday from the Czech Republic.

Detroit general manager Ken Holland said he has been contacted by Hasek's agent, Rich Winter.

"While we have had discussions, at this time, no decision has been made by Dominik,'' Holland said in a statement.

"They continue to talk about it and we'll see how it goes,'' Winter said.

"Dominik is deciding exactly which direction he wants to go and hopefully I'll know very soon,'' Holland told radio station WJR.

"Dominik has been in contact with the Red Wings several times over the past several weeks, and they've had serious discussions about the possibility of him coming back," Winter told TSN of Canada. "I think he's leaning towards coming back, but he hasn't made a final decision."

Another source though told TSN that it was a "virtual certainty" that Hasek would return to the NHL. The Red Wings hold an $8 million option for the 38-year-old goaltender next season.

Detroit signed current starting goalie Curtis Joseph last offseason to a 3-year, $24 million contract, including a no-trade clause, TSN reported.

"If Dominik comes back it probably will be a sticky situation,'' Holland said. "Obviously, a lot of teams right now are looking for goaltenders. At the same time, money is a real issue around the league.''

"It's Kenny's worst nightmare," one NHL general manager told TSN, referring to the Detroit general manager (Holland). "What do you do with Hasek when you've got Curtis Joseph under contract for the next two years? You can't have $17 million worth of goaltending. Plus, Hasek hasn't played in a year and a half."

Joseph has a no-trade clause, but it is believed he'd be willing to waive it to come to the Rangers, with whom he nearly signed before going to Toronto five years ago, according to the New York Post.

Red Wings officials declined comment to TSN on Hasek's possible return.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Good news for the Wings. They certainly could have used him this year. Joseph isn't too bad, but he still has some learning to do. We'll take him back in about 3-5 years if he's got him game down.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
You do realize Cujo is 36 years old, right?

No, I didn't. Watching him play, I thought he was fairly young. My bad. I follow the season, but don't really get into the stats.

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
Good news for the Wings. They certainly could have used him this year. Joseph isn't too bad, but he still has some learning to do. We'll take him back in about 3-5 years if he's got him game down.
Haha riiight, he's one of the most verteran golies in the league...

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I think the Red Wings are going to be a bit screwed in this deal. 1. If he comes back then they have to ship Cujo out to someone else and they will probably have to pick up some of the salary. 2. If they shipout Hasek or not pay the option then he will probably go to a rival team like Philly or Colorado (I'm sure he will not let himself be traded to a crap team).

Cheers,
Aquaman

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I don't know how I feel about this.

I agree with Aquaman's sentiments. I don't want him to chase off CuJo, but I don't want him going to Colorado or Philly.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I wouldn't mind Hasek back, but we're screwed with Cujo. He has a 3 year contract with a no-trade clause.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Damn! What news! I hadn't heard a whiff of this rumor, but I guess I haven't been around much in the last few days...this would be very interesting, especially to see what CuJo says about his contract...

Finally, something to make us feel good for once, unlike that damn Fedorov.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Fedorov is the whole reason I even follow hockey and the Red Wings like I do. I don't want to think about him leaving the Red Wings :(.... especially since the teams who would have money to sign him include Colofraudo, Philthy, etc. Yuk! I suppose getting Hasek back would make me feel a little better, but as I've said, I don't fault Cujo for this past playoff series, so I don't really WANT him gone.... I dunno. I loved Hasek when he played so I guess I am a bit biased towards him, that's all.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Yeah, he can waive his no trade if he wants to.

With a week to go before players can become unrestricted free agents, this puts a big spin on things, for sure.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Crappopotamus
cujo would be able to waive the no trade clause wouldnt he?

btw we dont want cujo anymore. pfft. :|

Who would you rather have?

I like CuJo. He didn't have the best year last year, but it was his first year with the Wings. Not everyone in the world is Dominick Hasek.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Cujo to the Aves? They have a large hole to fill and Cujo could train Aesbicher (hopefully)

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Legendary
Cujo to the Aves? They have a large hole to fill and Cujo could train Aesbicher (hopefully)

That?s up to the trainers not Cujo.

Anyway, you're taking a big gamble with Hasek. If you ship Cujo off to another good team (since he'll waive that no trade clause for a sh!tty team), then he'll haunt you in the play offs if you ever go against him. Trading him to a team in the same division, a rivel at that, is like shooting your self in the foot. Also, Hasek was out for a season and he?s getting pretty old for a goalie, so you might not get the same hasek of 2 seasons ago.

I think Cujo played pretty damn good in the playoffs, but Gigure was the better goalie, and the rest of the wings didn't do much to help him out. Wings fans are being awfully hard on Cujo based on one season. It took a while for him to jell with the team, thats all.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Let's hope Dominator does come back, maybe it'll spare us the embarassment next season.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Let's hope Dominator does come back, maybe it'll spare us the embarassment next season.

Did you not read my post about 3-4 above?

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
HE'S BACK!

The question now becomes: Is anybody going to score a goal on the Red Wings all season? :D

Lidstrom - Schnieder
Chelios - Fischer
Hatcher - Dandenault

With Hasek in goal.

Woo! :D

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: mpitts
HE'S BACK!

The question now becomes: Is anybody going to score a goal on the Red Wings all season? :D

Lidstrom - Schnieder
Chelios - Fischer
Hatcher - Dandenault

With Hasek in goal.

It will be very interesting to see how the Avs' firepower matches up against Wings' D....

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: murphy55d
You do realize Cujo is 36 years old, right?

I agree cujo is a seasoned veteren who can hold his own, I personally think Hasek is a liability was never the same after that groin injury.

Ausm

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: mpitts
HE'S BACK!

Lidstrom - Schnieder
Chelios - Fischer
Hatcher - Dandenault

With Hasek in goal.

yeah!