NHL prospect ruining carreer over video game addiction.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
https://deadspin.com/an-nhl-prospect-is-reportedly-ruining-his-career-over-a-1826124656

Of course, the game is FortNight! Imagine having a one in a million opportunity to play pro sports, make millions and to do something that many people would kill for, and you blow it by being addicted to a game like FortNight. Or, video games in general. It's crazy. I know that most people here have life obligations. Family, career, health, etc. How do you make time to enjoy gaming? Do you just game on the weekends? Nights? Do you etch in your gaming sessions on Google Calendar? Do you stick to certain amount of time per week? In my case, I'll set aside 10-12 hours a week for gaming and that's about it. I try to not go over that amount of time. Seems to be working well.

Asmodeus

Jun 26, 2017
If true that's crazy. If he likes video games that much he could play in the NHL a couple seasons, make a few million, then retire and buy thousands of video games if he wanted. C'mon man, be smarter than that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Like any hobby you need to have self control and set limits and work within those. If you can't then this can be the result. I used to play FFXI Online pretty heavily and even went so far as to call in sick to stay home and play so I understand how this can happen.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If true that's crazy. If he likes video games that much he could play in the NHL a couple seasons, make a few million, then retire and buy thousands of video games if he wanted. C'mon man, be smarter than that.
It is one of the things that makes getting to the professional level of competitive play so difficult in many sports. You have to have both the genetics (I'm sorry to all you under 5'6" tall people, your road to a pro-basketball career just became 1 in 3 billion or less odds), and years of dedication to the training regimen, in which you essentially eat, breath, and sweat the sport. There are plenty of people who have the genetics for most sports, but the dedication is what prevents the vast majority from making it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

Hockey players can suffer lots of head trauma. His ability to be "smart" about this may be limited.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It is an addiction. Addicts do not view the addiction in a rational way like the rest of us. We also see guys wash out in professional sports due to alcohol or drugs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It is an addiction. Addicts do not view the addiction in a rational way like the rest of us. We also see guys wash out in professional sports due to alcohol or drugs.

Yep. Video Games can be pretty insidious, too. The instant gratification, recurring advancement, and with these game modes, cycling the battle model on timers and what not. I think much like any drug that can hijack your dopamine receptors, some of these models for the right type of person can provide the same type of fulfillment, and I wouldn't be surprised if you see some neural pathway altering in VG addicts just as you see with opioids and especially nicotine addiction.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yep. Video Games can be pretty insidious, too. The instant gratification, recurring advancement, and with these game modes, cycling the battle model on timers and what not. I think much like any drug that can hijack your dopamine receptors, some of these models for the right type of person can provide the same type of fulfillment, and I wouldn't be surprised if you see some neural pathway altering in VG addicts just as you see with opioids and especially nicotine addiction.

What's also really bad about these type of addictions is it doesn't look that bad on the surface. Unlike drugs and alchoal addiction that ravage the body over time, you don't really see the same with video and tech addiction. Over time, you do see failed marriages, ruined careers, life regrets, missed b-day parties, friends leaving, neglected finances, etc. All because you're spending hours and untold hours on a screen. But, it takes many many years to show itself.